Subspace Communications

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    There should be a subspace communications block that would allow members of a faction to pull up the galaxy map and see were every one in the faction is, and shows you all the players within radar range of the players in your faction. Also members of a faction who have the proper permissions, could issue orders to faction members using the subspace communications block as well.
    For example a faction leader might order three of his players to attack a station. They would get a message and a way point in the galaxy map

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Would have to have rank restrictions, or else you risk dummy/spy accounts that join just to advertise the location of members to an enemy.

What's wrong with good old fashion /f btw?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about a faction beacon block that if installed on an entity will flag that entity to anyone else in possession of a beacon who is in the same faction.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Would have to have rank restrictions, or else you risk dummy/spy accounts that join just to advertise the location of members to an enemy.
    I totally agree, but there will always be a little risk. However I think the benefits out way the risks.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As an overview of locations, it could work so long as not just anyone could view it. Issuing orders kinda sounds obnoxious though (the idea of changing someone's waypoint without their permission ), and sounds like it would be hard to do in a 3D space, hence /f.

An option to just offer a waypoint might work better, person of rank selects the players and a Co-ordinate and it gets submitted to their waypoint bookmarks (a special space maybe?) to be activated when they are able to set it. Would avoid issues with a 3D map space and having your destination switched randomly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    CyberTao , The Faction Ansible doesn't have to change the player's waypoint. It can create a 'mission point' that is a waypoint set by mission control. Then we'd need to consider how many Mission Points you can have, and which faction members can set them for you.

I think that adding a 'Comm Module' to a ship would be great. When you activate the module from your toolbar it brings up the chat log, allows you to switch channels (faction, universe, local, other), or turn the comm. link on and off. If it is on, then we receive updates like the transmissions from shooting a shop. This would also allow us to (maybe) add in a player avatar or faction symbol with transmissions.

The benefit is that the current chat system breaks game immersion. Putting the chat into a module (or hand radio for astronauts) keeps the function but makes it an integrated part of the universe.

Reaction score
    The benefit is that the current chat system breaks game immersion. Putting the chat into a module (or hand radio for astronauts) keeps the function but makes it an integrated part of the universe.
    it requires more blocks when there's no real need for them. Very few succesful mmorpgs limit the chat to a game mechanic (and i can't really think of one right now).
    As for game immersion, there are far more things that break it, like server lag, fps inconsistency, crashes, etc. And personally chat doesn't break my immersion since, like i said, plenty of games use it as a de-facto feature and i've come to expect it.