Starmade memes

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    they came, they saw, they went
    Which is why you don't want them to come at this point of time in the first place!

As for those of you foretelling the imminent doom of this game, please understand that Schine only wants to market when the game is in a reasonably finished and polished state, where this kind of thing will not happen.

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Which is why you don't want them to come at this point of time in the first place!

As for those of you foretelling the imminent doom of this game, please understand that Schine only wants to market when the game is in a reasonably finished and polished state, where this kind of thing will not happen.
    First, it's just a meme brah.
    Second, what marketing power does Schine even have? They gonna put a ad up on youtube? You could put all your worth into advertising on steam and it wont amount to much these days, because the store is just that cluttered. Some devs are even jumping ship and trying to get onto consoles before steam.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I guess Schema didn't read the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle properly :P
    Schema's uncertainty principle-
    ∆t>0.15t
    "The in-game time cannot be measured exactly, even in theory"

Last edited:
    Reaction score

quick! fight the meme!

ideally youre right... except this games development has been driven by motivated players figuring out stuff the devs didnt. without them, itll be super brittle. as for marketing, they voluntarily put the game on steam and charged money for it.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Major changes are happening to the game! Quick! Post all the chair memes again! Maybe we'll get them this time!

Reaction score
    Major changes are happening to the game! Quick! Post all the chair memes again! Maybe we'll get them this time!
    Okay I hope I am not offtopic, but: 80 chairs
    Aren't those enough? Or are we talking about chairs with ship drive functionality? Just trying to understand the meme. Or is it purely sarcastic? =)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Aren't those enough? Or are we talking about chairs with ship drive functionality? Just trying to understand the meme. Or is it purely sarcastic? =)
    Preferably things that look like chairs (not just slabs/slants) and with ship drive and other functionality :)
    [doublepost=1518928911,1518928764][/doublepost]
    Second, what marketing power does Schine even have?
    I remember seeing a post that claimed they have the means of attracting players, can't seem to find it now.

quick! fight the meme!

ideally youre right... except this games development has been driven by motivated players figuring out stuff the devs didnt. without them, itll be super brittle. as for marketing, they voluntarily put the game on steam and charged money for it.
    Can't disagree there. Let's take a look at what's going on -

It would seem there is no place of people wanting to play Starmade. Just that they're confused.

Last edited:

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    this is the fuckimg meme thread, you cannot go off topic here

Reactions: FlyingDebris
    Reaction score
    I remember seeing a post that claimed they have the means of attracting players, can't seem to find it now.
    there was a thread awhile back where duke claimed a buncha stuff about starmades potential audience, and paying for expert analysis and such. he deleted most of the thread after i questioned him on the topic and he got a little ...passionate.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Schine's developement process is the definition of 'agile', which can definitely be spun as an excuse to keep a game in a spiraling featurefest of an update cycle while farming ad revenue (or in other cases, microtransactions) for an indefinite amount of time while witholding the option to abandon ship or go silent at any given moment, many schine & smd staff have almost made it a point to hint or state that this isn't a large part of their income and mostly a side job. Could be spun that way, but i wouldn't be so provocative :eek:

Reaction score
    Schine's developement process is the definition of 'agile', which can definitely be spun as an excuse to keep a game in a spiraling featurefest of an update cycle while farming ad revenue (or in other cases, microtransactions) for an indefinite amount of time while witholding the option to abandon ship or go silent at any given moment, many schine & smd staff have almost made it a point to hint or state that this isn't a large part of their income and mostly a side job. Could be spun that way, but i wouldn't be so provocative :eek:
    ill take their side here, i dont think smd or sm in general make much money and i doubt its worth their time to push this.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That was probably just Schine saying they do. They've said it a lot, however I doubt there is actually a means. A while ago they mentioned advertising tokens or something on Steam, but I doubt that'd do much these days.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That was probably just Schine saying they do. They've said it a lot, however I doubt there is actually a means. A while ago they mentioned advertising tokens or something on Steam, but I doubt that'd do much these days.
    Once the game's released, they need to pay for some actual advertising. Like ad bars on sites and stuff. And before you ask, yes, I know that's pretty high dollar.

Reaction score
    In my opinion, there are three kinds of StarMade players. These three types are mutually exclusive and exhaustive sets.

• Those who build pretty ships.
    • Those who cannot build pretty ships but can build maxed-out ships.
    • Those who cannot build maxed-out ships.
    You gotta read each word...
    Mostly true, but not entirely; while there is a certain amount of surface area & shape optimisation that goes into meta building (so stuff like star trek ships tend to waste a lot of mass on extra hull), there is a lot of middle ground for hiding OP meta ships under a good layer of detail. For example, by staggering out hull blocks just right you can add volume and detail to a flat surface without adding mass which can both look pretty and help mitigate damage. Another common trick is selectively decorating your outer hull with obliterates like Scaffolding, girders, and capsules which done right gives a lot of really nice textures while actually helping to reduce mass compared to a purely hull based exterior.

Chairs are one of those promised updates that has been blowing in the wind for years, but I do agree that I actually feel like I get more creative freedom building my chairs than slapping down some copy/paste chair that will be exactly the same on every ship ever... frankly, I'd be happy if they just made cores able to be slabs so I could just make a proper chair around it.

[edit] actually, I think they should make consoles able to be set as ship access points instead of chairs and leave cores alone. The core does not even look like something that belongs on a ship's bridge.
    [doublepost=1519064877,1519063239][/doublepost]Next time you feel like everything around you is an urgent crisis, and you don't know where to start. Just imagine how Schine feels right now.

upload_2018-2-19_12-27-28.png

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Mostly true, but not entirely; while there is a certain amount of surface area & shape optimisation that goes into meta building (so stuff like star trek ships tend to waste a lot of mass on extra hull), there is a lot of middle ground for hiding OP meta ships under a good layer of detail. For example, by staggering out hull blocks just right you can add volume and detail to a flat surface without adding mass which can both look pretty and help mitigate damage. Another common trick is selectively decorating your outer hull with obliterates like Scaffolding, girders, and capsules which done right gives a lot of really nice textures while actually helping to reduce mass compared to a purely hull based exterior.

Chairs are one of those promised updates that has been blowing in the wind for years, but I do agree that I actually feel like I get more creative freedom building my chairs than slapping down some copy/paste chair that will be exactly the same on every ship ever... frankly, I'd be happy if they just made cores able to be slabs so I could just make a proper chair around it.

[edit] actually, I think they should make consoles able to be set as ship access points instead of chairs and leave cores alone. The core does not even look like something that belongs on a ship's bridge.
    [doublepost=1519064877,1519063239][/doublepost]Next time you feel like everything around you is an urgent crisis, and you don't know where to start. Just imagine how Schine feels right now.

View attachment 47805
    *repeatedly and frustratedly presses the place where the funny button used to be*

Reaction score
    Some devs are even jumping ship and trying to get onto consoles before steam.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but what devs are you talking about? If you mean Starmade's devs, which ones? If you're talking about other games' devs, which games? How many games are doing this? You're saying "some are doing X" but not saying who. If you're going to state these kinds of things, give examples. Otherwise you're just pushing a straw man fallacy.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but what devs are you talking about? If you mean Starmade's devs, which ones? If you're talking about other games' devs, which games? How many games are doing this? You're saying "some are doing X" but not saying who. If you're going to state these kinds of things, give examples. Otherwise you're just pushing a straw man fallacy.
    Well this is ironic

Reaction score
    proof is not necessary for something to be true. he may or may not be "pushing a fallacy."

personally im inclined to believe him, but i imagine you can do a little googling and verify his claim if youd like.