Starmade-Launcher wont' open, but StarMade-Starter works just fine.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I just got a new laptop and can't get the new launcher to open on it.

I can use the old launcher and the game starts and I can play no problem.

It's Windows 10 build 10240 (64 bit to be pedantic)
    Intel HD Graphics 520 (I've already updated drivers to the latest version)

As it's brand new I have freshly installed Java 8 Update 101 JDK both 32 bit and 64 bit. JAVA_HOME is pointing at the 64 bit jdk

I've tried to use the launcher from both steam and a new download from star-made.org and it fails to open for both. No log file is being generated.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    The new Launcher isnt using Java (it uses a bundled java to run the game).
    In the Launcher folder there should be a file launcher.log ... please upload that one here.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Here's the log file, not much too it though just a single line that keeps updating with the timestamp of the most recent time I tried to run the launcher, along with a logging level of normal.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Uh .. thats weird !
    where did you place the launcher ? (any special folder like Desktop/programfiles/appdata or something like that?)
    have you tried to execute it with admin rights?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The Launcher is in one of two locations (one from steam and one from direct download)
    Launcher from Steam:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\starmade\

Launcher downloaded from star-made.org:
    C:\Users\<my user>\Games\Starmade\

where the Games folder is a folder I created.

I've tried running steam as an admin and starting the launcher, I've tried starting both launchers as admin.

Still no difference, the blue spinning windows circle appears for a moment, the log file updates the time stamp and then nothing.

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Very odd.

I have two theories:
    1. There is an error/exception occurring that the logger does not catch. This is the most likely cause.
    2. Electron (the chromium platform the launcher runs on top of) crashed. I cannot catch this, and when it occurs it leaves up to three starmade-launcher.exe processes running, which prevent the launcher from starting again until they are closed. (Reason unknown). This isn't likely to be the cause, but it is still a possibility.

To test the first, could you try running the launcher from the command prompt and post its output? That should give me more insight into what is happening. (and if you would, run it with the --verbose option)

To test the second, look in the task manager / process explorer / etc. for any starmade-launcher.exe processes. If there are any present, kill them and try the launcher again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The output from the first item is in the text files I've attached. The behavior (failed to create a pipe) was identical for both the launcher from steam and the one from star-made.org.

As for the second one I didn't see any starmade-launcher.exe processes, however I did notice that I had 4 instances of chrome in the list, but only one browser window open. Three of the four had no activity in any of the columns (cpu, memory etc), I assume the fourth one was for my open browser window.

Attachments

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It looks like Electron isn't loading properly; I have no idea why.

(Electron is a version of AtomShell, which is a platform for standalone webapps. It starts Chromium (a standalone version of Chrome), loads its own libraries/etc, and then loads the target javascript application, in this case our launcher. Chromium then handles everything else.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Okay so it definitely seems like an environment issue on my machine and not an issue with the launcher. I'll play with it and see if I can get it to work. If I get it to work I'll report back

Thanks for looking at this.

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    ^_^

I will look into this a bit, too, but environment does seem likely.