StarMade for Skrubs-A Guide by TheDerpGamer

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I tend to build ships for a specific (sometimes RP) purpose, and see how it evolves as I go.

Reaction score
    personally, for pvp ships i just do the systems like the reactor, shield, weapons, chambers then i cover them with my hull lol

from
    starmade-screenshot-0055.png
    to
    starmade-screenshot-0001.png

Reaction score
    My design philosophy:
    "Is it too Detailed?"
    NEVER!
    Lol, the Albatross can suck it.

Spagetti Hull confirmed.
    [doublepost=1520762844,1520762595][/doublepost]
    Uhm I didn't ask you what you think he thought when he designed his ships?

I still don't know from him if it was a conscious decission or if he was serious when he said he wouldn't plan. You might know him better but I rather ask if a stranger means irony or not.

If he is still mad at me for things in the past no problem. But I don't need you as man in the middle, as you are not answering my original question and write in a tone I don't really think is justified.
    Actually... this was sort of true of Debris. He got stuff right most of the time because he'd played long enough to intuitively know about what things should be, but his designs tended to be like the AK-47s of the meta PvP crowd. Not engineered to the exactness of a lot of other PvP ships, but they typically seemed to do better than the numbers would predict because he kept good tolerances allowing his ships to retain their effectiveness even under bad circumstances (lag, damage, etc).
    [doublepost=1521084209][/doublepost]
    personally, for pvp ships i just do the systems like the reactor, shield, weapons, chambers then i cover them with my hull lol
    Systems first: my preferred method as well.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Hostility III
    Spagetti Hull confirmed.

I still don't know from him if it was a conscious decission or if he was serious when he said he wouldn't plan. You might know him better but I rather ask if a stranger means irony or not.

If he is still mad at me for things in the past no problem. But I don't need you as man in the middle, as you are not answering my original question and write in a tone I don't really think is justified.
    This is a form of humour, it happens when someone asks a dumbass question. The third party, in this case me, points out the really obvious answer that literally everyone knew, and then we laugh at the second party for being a dumbass.

Reactions: FlyingDebris

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is a form of humour, it happens when someone asks a dumbass question. The third party, in this case me, points out the really obvious answer that literally everyone knew, and then we laugh at the second party for being a dumbass.

[doublepost=1521108251,1521107895][/doublepost]Anyway, silhouettes are important when designing ships and station.
    A lack of detailing is bad but overuse is also bad, your brain needs resting areas to not get overstimulated.
    When it comes to detailing random greeble isnt always the best, try to set it up so it gives a sense of scale of the ship, windows typically helps with this, pipes are nice too.
    Depth is another important thing when you build, it can add a lot of "detailing" without really being greebles.
    So keep the shapes of your builds interesting, dont overdo details but dont be afraid to make them either. And NEVER USE FAKE WINDOWS!

Reactions: Calhoun
    Reaction score
    Yeah allright, thank you for pointing this out. No problem. Have a nice day. :)

Actually... this was sort of true of Debris. He got stuff right most of the time because he'd played long enough to intuitively know about what things should be, but his designs tended to be like the AK-47s of the meta PvP crowd. Not engineered to the exactness of a lot of other PvP ships, but they typically seemed to do better than the numbers would predict because he kept good tolerances allowing his ships to retain their effectiveness even under bad circumstances (lag, damage, etc).
    Okay. I also had the guess that he planned some stuff, but seemed to use the typicall "lets just build and do it" way. I am wondering if he updates his ships for the new power though and how they will behave then. I mean they are pretty long shouldn't be less efficient I guess.

Even though that latest trend are these vertical ships because of the thruster mechanics we have right now.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Spagetti Hull confirmed.

No Calhoun was dead on. Why someone wouldn't adhere to a specific style for faction ships is beyond me. I guess you'd need some really bad ADHD to not build similar ships for the faction.

Reaction score
    No Calhoun was dead on. Why someone wouldn't adhere to a specific style for faction ships is beyond me. I guess you'd need some really bad ADHD to not build similar ships for the faction.
    The original point was if you use drawing scetches or build right away inside the game. That faction ships can look simmilar is pretty obvious. I didn't argue about your design reasons I talked about your planning technique.

Somehow calhoun changed this point into design reasons. Dunno why - I guess he seeked an excuse to use the word dumbass and sound strong. Just don't let yourself distract from calhouns derailment man. I talked about technique with you.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    The original point was if you use drawing scetches or build right away inside the game. That faction ships can look simmilar is pretty obvious. I didn't argue about your design reasons I talked about your planning technique.

Somehow calhoun changed this point into design reasons. Dunno why - I guess he seeked an excuse to use the word dumbass and sound strong. Just don't let yourself distract from calhouns derailment man. I talked about technique with you.
    Uhhhhhhh...

Your post started with the observation that most of his ships looked very similar. It then went on the hypothesise why that was. I pointed out the really obvious answer.

Reaction score
    Uhhhhhhh...

Your post started with the observation that most of his ships looked very similar. It then went on the hypothesise why that was. I pointed out the really obvious answer.
    The thing this conversations started with, was "all of my designs were created with no prior planning whatsoever".

Planning. I am questioning his planning, but I am not sure wether or not he was even serious about the "no prior planning". No reason to call out "we laugh about dumbasses".

Last edited:

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The thing this conversations started with, was "all of my designs were created with no prior planning whatsoever".

Planning. I am questioning his planning, but I am not sure wether or not he was even serious about the "no prior planning". No reason to call out "we laugh about dumbasses".
    He means that he doesnt draw them out or plan whats supposed to be in them or what they are supposed to look like.
    Debbie probably builds like me, improvise all the way.

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Frankly, it was a very simple answer that could have been figured out with only a limited application of brainpower.

Reaction score
    Frankly, it was a very simple answer that could have been figured out with only a limited application of brainpower.
    Actually the design of your ships could be achieved without drawing scetches, there are many designers on the internet that do make cool ships every day. So if you would have read my question right, you would have interpretted that I assumed that you are so experienced that you actually need no scetches.

But this isn't really important anymore, because the simple fact how you two act up about my little question is way funnier.:)

Last edited:

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Actually the design of your ships could be achieved without drawing scetches, there are many designers on the internet that do make cool ships every day. So if you would have read my question right, you would have interpretted that I assumed that you are so experienced that you actually need no scetches.

But this isn't really important anymore, because the simple fact how you two act up about my little question is way funnier.:)
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here but aight