StarMade Dev Update: NPC Factions

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sadly that is true. Not everyone has the time, stamina, or even the technical means to view live streams. It would be nice if they were summarized and posted. I'm not asking for full transcripts, just the gist of what was discussed.
    Actually its just Criss and Saber doing odds and ends and building ships/stations for the TG, Outcast, and Scav. Very rarely will there be Saber doing a 3D modelling livestream.

Its mostly Chat shouting at criss for not doing certain things right with the system though :P

But a lot of QA stuff goes on, in which Saber (or criss) will answer any questions given that they can answer without giving anything that they shouldnt away. Things that Auburn my be up to, Saber/Criss wouldnt be able to comment much on, but Danki on the otherhand they are "closer to" and occaisonally preview his works to the stream on the upcoming Starmade Official Music and what not.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I see that NPC's will trade with players and each other, but will they buy and sell at the shops?

If trading ships are travelling back and forth between trade nodes will there be a way to scan an NPC to determine the cargo they are carrying to decide if they are worth attacking?

Will the trading ships travel at normal ship speeds between nodes even when unloaded?

Will NPC merchants trade only to fulfill faction demand or will they buy low and sell high to make a profit?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't usually mess with dev builds... but I noticed that derilict stations, pirate stations, and old-style stick shops don't seem to exist in faction owned space. Are these things being slowly phased out of existance? Will the new-style stick shops in trade guild space eventually be made usable? In the future will the player only find stick shops in trade guild owned systems?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't usually mess with dev builds... but I noticed that derilict stations, pirate stations, and old-style stick shops don't seem to exist in faction owned space. Are these things being slowly phased out of existance? Will the new-style stick shops in trade guild space eventually be made usable? In the future will the player only find stick shops in trade guild owned systems?
    I'd say they might be added to the Trading Guild Faction's spawning selection, as for how their spawn pattern is going to work it's anyone's guess.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Every time I try to buy a design from the catalogue I get a NullPointerException :(

Reaction score
    I downloaded the dev build on my server, fresh install... but it only has two factions. Am I missing something?

Oddly, if I start a single player local game, it does have factions. So confused...

Reaction score
    It seems to be getting closer!
    Will the official update also require you to start a new world?

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    When I was on the dev build yesterday, I found to my surprise that the shops of the NPC factions were unowned....
    When a shop has no owner it can be used by anyone, so I was wondering how that fits in with the trading idea?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    When I was on the dev build yesterday, I found to my surprise that the shops of the NPC factions were unowned....
    When a shop has no owner it can be used by anyone, so I was wondering how that fits in with the trading idea?
    Can you claim it? Currently they are set to be un-owned by any named player. They should instead belong to the faction and thus cannot be claimed.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Currently I've noticed if the station has no shop block on it you can't trade with it either. >_>

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Can you claim it? Currently they are set to be un-owned by any named player. They should instead belong to the faction and thus cannot be claimed.
    I was able to add myself as a shop owner and withdraw lots of credits from the trade guild homebase. 5-10 minutes later, I looked at the galaxy map and noticed that every fleet ship in the system is gathered around me, watching me. I then re-cloaked my stick ship, and they seemed to scatter back out to their normal patrols.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I was able to add myself as a shop owner and withdraw lots of credits from the trade guild homebase. 5-10 minutes later, I looked at the galaxy map and noticed that every fleet ship in the system is gathered around me, watching me. I then re-cloaked my stick ship, and they seemed to scatter back out to their normal patrols.
    lol now that's funny, they wanted their money back. XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's just creepy

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    They wanted to gang rape you.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    That's what happens when you steal from the donations box. Tssk tssk.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sounds like an appropriate response :P

But in all seriousness, you shouldn't be able to claim the shop. That was actually why we removed the module. But I will tell the others.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Sounds like an appropriate response :P

But in all seriousness, you shouldn't be able to claim the shop. That was actually why we removed the module. But I will tell the others.
    Removing the module seems to have killed the trading system for the NPC factions, why not just add a NPC Leader to the Faction to hold ownership or do what you did with the Trading Guild and make it faction owned where the faction name is used for the owner instead of a player. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    All those unloaded fleets roaming on the map are nice, but why none try to stop you when you wreck everything in your path? Getting response from NPC factions has been disapointing. Defending fleets (always single ships as far as I can tell, and very tiny ones) didn't tried encountering me. Also station still spawn the same isanth wave when shot. Which is still appreciable but maybe we could use combat ships instead

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    All those unloaded fleets roaming on the map are nice, but why none try to stop you when you wreck everything in your path? Getting response from NPC factions has been disapointing. Defending fleets (always single ships as far as I can tell, and very tiny ones) didn't tried encountering me. Also station still spawn the same isanth wave when shot. Which is still appreciable but maybe we could use combat ships instead
    I was attacked when I shot at some of the NPC ships; I also had more ships reinforcing the attacked ship. I haven't tried attacking the stations though. Haven't got pics yet, will grab em later

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    What I find rather frustrating is the fact that NPC ships are complete pushovers, utterly feeble and no threat whatsoever to someone flying anything properly combat oriented, or even half way reasonably defended. In the fleet submissions, they actually 'asked' people to 'not' make them tough. Imagine that.

"We care more about the looks of a vessel than the performance. Obviously we need it to fly, but we don’t need a super powerful ship from each submission. In fact, quite the opposite. Giving ships weaknesses is just as important as giving them strengths. Maybe your set of ships belong to a faction that focuses on exploration or cargo transport. Not every submission needs to be combat oriented. The more diverse the better! Schine may adapt the systems of your submission to fit within our in-game asset plans."

In my opinion, the pirates one might encounter while developing your own space aught to be relatively tame. Certainly a bit more of a threat than the current crop of obsolete Isanths, but not that much more. Those pirates are what one needs to deal with when flying around in ones starter miner, gathering resources. They are the motive for you to scramble to put a 100 mass turret on your ship and then scrounge to add another.

NPC factions pushing into space and defending their territory should be a whole other kettle of fish. They are the ones that you build towards, the threat of whom should be scary, the reason you need bigger ships, bigger guns, etc.. Having the NPC races fly around the same sort of pissant pop guns that are typical of starter pirates takes any potential challenge out of the game, save PvP in multi-player. And as the necessary balancing features are currently not present for such PvP, there is no challenge there either.

PLEASE let NPC races have some combat worthy assets. When those ships mass upon you, it shouldn't just be spooky, you should shit your pants.

Reactions: foodoman