StarMade dev Update: new GUI

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Little progress report;

Thanks for the patience! We're making progress, however the new UI is taken perhaps longer than we all anticipated.

"Why so?"

We are building this pretty much from the ground up using a new system. The old UI panels were simply PNG image files showing a layout, with text and buttons imposed on top. This caused a few headaches when adding new features... as you can all see it got a little cramped recently.

We are now generating our windows from small sprite sheets that allow us to move windows, resize them indefinitely and all of their contents, as well as dynamically adjusting the size of content (ie tabs, search bars, columns) according to the quantity of them. It acts a little to how your browser responds to scaling it up and down. Future proofing!

Simply quality of life changes are being made across the board, one that i think we're all going to be thankful for is the load times for lists have been sped up (i'm looking at you faction list!). A lot of players ran into slow down issues when accessing the faction list of heavily populated servers. This will hopefully be a thing of the past. Oh, you can also Search through them with a Search bar!

Little things like this are requiring new code and artwork... and there are lots of new little things like this.

So again, thanks for the patience, i hope to be able to release some images of what we're working with in the new week or so. I'll try and keep everyone posted as and when it's relevant.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    For me, you guys take your time, the better it can get with this long time, the better i will like it (probably)

Hope you guys get a good weekend and monday get it witch full force again. kkk

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Awesome. Sounds like its gonna be good. I can't, but I will, wait! Thanks for the good work team!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Little progress report;

Thanks for the patience! We're making progress, however the new UI is taken perhaps longer than we all anticipated.

"Why so?"

We are building this pretty much from the ground up using a new system. The old UI panels were simply PNG image files showing a layout, with text and buttons imposed on top. This caused a few headaches when adding new features... as you can all see it got a little cramped recently.

We are now generating our windows from small sprite sheets that allow us to move windows, resize them indefinitely and all of their contents, as well as dynamically adjusting the size of content (ie tabs, search bars, columns) according to the quantity of them. It acts a little to how your browser responds to scaling it up and down. Future proofing!

Simply quality of life changes are being made across the board, one that i think we're all going to be thankful for is the load times for lists have been sped up (i'm looking at you faction list!). A lot of players ran into slow down issues when accessing the faction list of heavily populated servers. This will hopefully be a thing of the past. Oh, you can also Search through them with a Search bar!

Little things like this are requiring new code and artwork... and there are lots of new little things like this.

So again, thanks for the patience, i hope to be able to release some images of what we're working with in the new week or so. I'll try and keep everyone posted as and when it's relevant.
    really nice kupu! just a quick question about the second picture schema posted. Is the power and shield capacity at the top left the power and shield capacity of the selected entity?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    really nice kupu! just a quick question about the second picture schema posted. Is the power and shield capacity at the top left the power and shield capacity of the selected entity?
    Yes, we are making a small display panel for selected targets. This will show the player name (if applicable), ship tag, distance and bars for it's structural stats. Shields, Power (and HP when implemented).

Reactions: aceface

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Yes, we are making a small display panel for selected targets. This will show the player name (if applicable), ship tag, distance and bars for it's structural stats. Shields, Power (and HP when implemented).
    awesome! im also assuming that multiply panels can appear when we're able to join fleets?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    thanks ;)

Reaction score
    Little progress report;
    Looking forward to this update more and more. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Edit: Will inventory sorting be added as well (by name, item type, etc.) or this something planned for a future update? I realize storage block sorting exists, it's just a bit of work to sort items in individual inventories manually.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Little progress report;

"Why so?"

That sounds awesome. Maybe I didn't get it clearly but will the text be separated from the font of the button/bar/window, and store in a single file for instance, or an other system in order to support multiples language ?

looking forward for the result

Reaction score
    Can you please make this optional I personally cant stand curved stat bars
    just a simple "display style" toggle in options would be nice

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Can you please make this optional I personally cant stand curved stat bars
    just a simple "display style" toggle in options would be nice
    It isn't just a style change. A lot of functionality is going to be added to just the new GUI. Once the modding API comes out you probably could download a GUI mod a while after that that removes it.

The curved bars actually make everything look a lot better. You really need to have tried it to see that I suppose.

Reactions: kupu

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I think kupu mentioned that the UI should be really modifiable right out of the box, dont like it, just change the configs/textures or download a mod when they start appearing.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Bemoteajh
    I think kupu mentioned that the UI should be really modifiable right out of the box, dont like it, just change the configs/textures or download a mod when they start appearing.
    I think i'll probably be a texture like it is now.
    Nearly all of it is customisable within reasonable constraints. If you want them to be straight, just make a new texture file. want them to be smaller? resize the file, don't want bars? delete the texture and you'll still get the % figures (which you could move anywhere), If you want them all aligned to the left? Just say so in the config file. If you want them to be different colours? Just input an RGB value. Want them to be partially transparent? You can define it with a 0-255 value, want to offset them individually using pixel measurements? You can do that too.

The new HUD and UI are themed to Schine's vision of Starmade. It's built with new features in mind and for those that are planned in the future.

However, care has been taken to ensure you can (with a little effort and skill) change the look and positioning of these components to suit your own needs. As a new member a little over a year ago, i was so excited to know i could change the look of every block in the game. (I did that before making a proper ship i think :) ) We're a creative community, so now i'm even more excited to of helped create a game in which you can change every art asset visible in a flexible manner.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421783570,1421783245][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That sounds awesome. Maybe I didn't get it clearly but will the text be separated from the font of the button/bar/window, and store in a single file for instance, or an other system in order to support multiples language ?

looking forward for the result
    The words will eventually be externalised to a separate text file so language support can be viable.

The typeface is probably changeable, yes. (although you'd probably have to add a new typeface under the same name to load it).

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Bemoteajh

Nearly all of it is customisable within reasonable constraints. If you want them to be straight, just make a new texture file. want them to be smaller? resize the file, don't want bars? delete the texture and you'll still get the % figures (which you could move anywhere), If you want them all aligned to the left? Just say so in the config file. If you want them to be different colours? Just input an RGB value. Want them to be partially transparent? You can define it with a 0-255 value, want to offset them individually using pixel measurements? You can do that too.

The new HUD and UI are themed to Schine's vision of Starmade. It's built with new features in mind and for those that are planned in the future.

However, care has been taken to ensure you can (with a little effort and skill) change the look and positioning of these components to suit your own needs. As a new member a little over a year ago, i was so excited to know i could change the look of every block in the game. (I did that before making a proper ship i think :) ) We're a creative community, so now i'm even more excited to of helped create a game in which you can change every art asset visible in a flexible manner.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421783570,1421783245][/DOUBLEPOST]

The words will eventually be externalised to a separate text file so language support can be viable.

The typeface is probably changeable, yes. (although you'd probably have to add a new typeface under the same name to load it).
    Any new screenshots for us kooopooo~ ? :3

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    I'm so excited for this update. I play on a laptop with a 3200x1600 screen. Everything is soooo tiny it's hard to build and I can't even read the text for numbers on blocks and such. Being able to make everything big and readable will be so awesome!

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    kupu Still waiting on them screens. Not being impatient, just wondering. Not good enough to show off yet? Still broken? Want to borrow some duct tape?

Also, can you tell us if there's any other feature we might like? Or are you leaving it a seeeecreeet ;)

EDIT: Did not consider that he's the graphic guy, and therefore might be slightly busy

But do let us know when you've got something

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm so excited for this update. I play on a laptop with a 3200x1600 screen. Everything is soooo tiny it's hard to build and I can't even read the text for numbers on blocks and such. Being able to make everything big and readable will be so awesome!
    wow nice screen
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422133090,1422131486][/DOUBLEPOST]maybe another dev update?