StarMade Dev Blog 17 November 2017

Reaction score
    I have quite literally never heard of this suggestion before.

95% of all the salt, frustration, and hard feelings in the Starmade community are due to information not being effectively communicated between the devs and the players/testers. If we want to make the game work, we have to actually sit down and discuss things like adults. If we have an issue or concern, it needs to reach someone who can do something about it, and in a manner that is clear and comprehensible.

This thread is a good start.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    95% of all the salt, frustration, and hard feelings in the Starmade community are due to information not being effectively communicated between the devs and the players/testers. If we want to make the game work, we have to actually sit down and discuss things like adults. If we have an issue or concern, it needs to reach someone who can do something about it, and in a manner that is clear and comprehensible.

This thread is a good start.
    yeah I really appreciate that especially schema and criss are willing to have a lengthy discussion. would be nice if people werent so brutal to them because itll discourage schine from interacting with us further.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have quite literally never heard of this suggestion before.
    :catdone:

Also make EMP / power drain weapons that hit docked entities draw power from main ship at 100% efficiency as soon as the docked entity is drained because docked hull currently makes emp and power drain useless due to the hull having a power capacity of 50k so max 50k power per sec is able to be removed/drained max.
    This was already fixed, actually.

I don't think 100% shield sharing fixes docked hull, esp with the new shield bubble system regardless of how large the bubbles end up being, but I suppose it's an improvement. I'd prefer alot of it to just be fixed period instead of a stopgap though, since it's nice to be able to shoot off turrets before main ship shields drop.
    Well, with the new system, 100% shield sharing wouldn't fix it, but it would with the old system. I disagree on being able to shoot turrets off early, since I think they should be treated as part of the main ship and not something extra just slapped on, and since the only way to have that without letting people use turrets as ad hoc docked hull would be to have the main ship's shields take damage past the 25% mark while also doing block damage to the turret, which sounds unfair to me.

Reaction score
    100% shield sharing wont fix docked hull, but it will lessen the benefit some...

i always wondered why they thought it was a good idea to have shields not cover turrets till they drop.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    100% shield sharing wont fix docked hull, but it will lessen the benefit some...
    Serious question, what benefits of docked hull am I missing besides the shield effect and the momentum effect canceling? Things like the massive debuff to EMP and some other bugs I can't remember off the top of my head have since been fixed. 100% shield sharing and fixing the momentum effect transfer bug would remove all of the benefits of docked hull as far as I can tell, besides maybe being easier to repair than regular hull if ALL that got damaged was your docked hull.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    quite a big
    It's not bubbles. They just protect the ship blocks in a certain radius.

No they can't.

Shield rechargers must be out of each others radius for two groups to work at the same time. Though how shields work in the place where they overlap needs testing.

If you continue to shoot through the blocks protected by the first shield (the one that was brought down) it won't have a chance to regenerate.
    hmmm if that was the case smaller ships would have a better chance against bigger ships which would make carriers a viable weapon

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I disagree on being able to shoot turrets off early, since I think they should be treated as part of the main ship and not something extra just slapped on (...)
    But turrets ARE extra things slapped on a ship. And being able to destroy them before blowing up whole enemy ship is a great feature. Look at World of Warships: you can disable enemy batteries to the point he has to turn his ship to return fire. Turret as an integral part of the ship would not be turret but a sponson.

Making shield bubbles passable by smaller ships would be great too. It would allow for more strategies. It should not be too hard to implement, you already have a shield radius.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    But turrets ARE extra things slapped on a ship. And being able to destroy them before blowing up whole enemy ship is a great feature. Look at World of Warships: you can disable enemy batteries to the point he has to turn his ship to return fire. Turret as an integral part of the ship would not be turret but a sponson.
    You can still disable them after the shields are down. You don't have to blow up the whole ship to take them down.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You can still disable them after the shields are down. You don't have to blow up the whole ship to take them down.
    If a turret is inside shield bubble, it is protected by said boubble. If the shield is depleted, the armour (and turret's structere itself) on that turret should protect the turret docking point.
    So when can it be shot off early?
    Or am I missing the point entierly and you mean that turrets should not be considered entities ("things put on main ship") but somehow a... I don't know... a ship subsystem or something like that?
    This would have "arms and legs", as we say here at the end of the world, but wouldn't it force a total redesing of the game?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Thanks for the info Zoolimar.

And so my interest is lost. It's what I thought the first time I've read that point in the op post, but then I saw the screenshot with the spheres and started hoping.
    Serves me right.
    Legit actual bubble shields were the first implementation of shields and it was terrible. Poor performance, couldn't conform to ship size. So long as collision is determined by bounding boxes physical, tangible bubble shields are a pipe dream

Reaction score
    Legit actual bubble shields were the first implementation of shields and it was terrible. Poor performance, couldn't conform to ship size. So long as collision is determined by bounding boxes physical, tangible bubble shields are a pipe dream
    Look how the highlight using convex hull is made for dev build reactors. Do the same, expand it by a little bit more and there you go. You have your bubble shield taking any shape you want.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Agreed.

Also, Oh hai Comr4de!

Reactions: Zerefette

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If a turret is inside shield bubble, it is protected by said boubble. If the shield is depleted, the armour (and turret's structere itself) on that turret should protect the turret docking point.
    So when can it be shot off early?
    Are you being dense on purpose? By damaging the armor and turret structure until it falls off, the same as now.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Look how the highlight using convex hull is made for dev build reactors. Do the same, expand it by a little bit more and there you go. You have your bubble shield taking any shape you want.
    That sounds good in theory, but rendering bubble shields across multiple ships in combat becomes a processing nightmare. Some battles in this game have excess of 100 ships engaged in combat.

My understanding of new bubbles is that their shape cannot be manipulated, only the radius can be expanded. Even then, whats to stop someone from cheesing it and making their ship a perfect sphere/oval/what have you and therefore removing any chance for bombers and smaller craft to make it through? The ship doesnt even need to be the same shape as the bubble; just make a sphere of forcefueld blocks or glass doors to the same effect. Bubble shields were bad then and theyre bad now.

Zerefette

<|°_°|>
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    but rendering bubble
    You don't have to render anything, make it glow a little like the outlines when damage happens, only in the damage area, size related to explosion or intensity and it's good, it works for systems great and it should work for that too.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    But first you have to penetrate ship defenses. It takes time.
    Your point being? You already have to penetrate 75% of their shields in the current system. There's no reason why protection should suddenly drop off at 25% shields, and if you can break through the first 75% you can break through the last 25%.

Reaction score
    That sounds good in theory, but rendering bubble shields across multiple ships in combat becomes a processing nightmare. Some battles in this game have excess of 100 ships engaged in combat.

My understanding of new bubbles is that their shape cannot be manipulated, only the radius can be expanded. Even then, whats to stop someone from cheesing it and making their ship a perfect sphere/oval/what have you and therefore removing any chance for bombers and smaller craft to make it through? The ship doesnt even need to be the same shape as the bubble; just make a sphere of forcefueld blocks or glass doors to the same effect. Bubble shields were bad then and theyre bad now.
    You give a problem, i give is a simple answer. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Also, bubble shields like i said shouldn't be hard in term of performance. You can see the systems of your opponents so rendering something that is already when your are being shot at, aka shields effects, isn't going to affect performance at all. It just won't be on top of the ship's available blocs anymore, that's just it. If you still think it is you can make it fixed without any needs to update before the ship is rebooted or the player inside enter build mode and place blocs. Like the chambers that are not disconnected when the conduit is destroyed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You don't have to render anything, make it glow a little like the outlines on damage only in the damage area
    This would require an invisible bubble that you would render the damage effect on. It's still being calculated.