StarMade dedicated server- HOW-TO

Reaction score
    StarMade Dedicated Server info

Some may have noticed that you can start a dedicated server from the launch menu. However, this only shows the player list, has no output, no command console, etc.

Some may have seen Starmade-dedicated-server-xxxx.xx in SM's files, tried to run it, and found out that it doesn't show up in the server list.

Yesterday, I got a dedicated server up and running with Starmade-dedicated-server-windows.exe . Before, I ran a server using the launcher method, which overloaded the small VM I had. This is a lot less resource intensive.

Here's what I did to get the server up and running:
    - right-click the exe (or the correct OS file) and press edit
    - typed "-port 4242" on the first line next to all the other text (not sure if that is necessary, see below for more info)
    - saved
    - configured the server like any normal SM server in server.config
    - ran it
    (this is assuming that you configured port forwarding correctly)

Comparison

The Java program run from the launcher:

Advantages:
    • easily see player list
    • easily shutdown server
    • known to be able to change ports
    • use StarMote
    • known, less buggy(?)
    Disadvantages
    • no command console, unable to see commands and chat
    • resource-intensive for small machines
    • still buggy, might not have ports open correctly or something (at least for me on my local machine)
    The OS-specific program run from file manager:

Advantages:

• command console- chat remotely, enter in commands without being logged in-game
    • lighter in resources
    • view complete log in cmd, including pings, disconnects, and more (may also be disadvantage)
    • use StarMote
    • just like running a server from above
    Disadvantages:
    • not as easy to see who is online
    • unknown if you can change server port
    • still buggy, might not have ports open correctly or something (at least for me on my local machine)

If you have any experience with SM dedicated server, feel free to reply with what you have to say below.