Starmade Deathmatch (with vidya)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Sometimes I feel that we're all so hung up on the OMG OPEN WORLD WOW FACTION SURVIVAL aspect of the game that we forget that we can do a lot more than that, even if some of the tools we have for it are a little on the derpy side.

I'm working on a pretty simple deathmatch type config - all weapons changed to suit an arena environment, with tightly controlled ship designs to keep things nice and balanced. It's a heavy work in progress, but hey, even WIPs can be fun.

Threw together a really, really crappy station/map with nearly no effort put into it in a couple hours, still had plenty of fun with Olxinos and LeHitGuy100 when we tested it out via Hamachi. Corridors ended up being a bit tight, and movement was a little *too* slow, so I'll be looking at making bigger maps in the future. I'll also need to look at how ambient occlusion and chunk rendering work in Starmade so that larger maps don't lag everyone to hell. Time to kill is a bit too high, so I'll be cranking up weapon damage a bit more, reducing armor and HP for hull a bit, etc.

What I want to see in the end is a battle server that restarts every so often, importing a different station/sector and server.cfg setup (for spawn points) every time.

Pardon the lack of editing, I have absolutely *no* software I can use for it at the moment. :p
    Three-player deathmatch \o/

Edit: Any resources for setting up a battle server you guys could point me to would be fantastic.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    10/10 would die to debris again.

But srsly though it's a lot mroe fun then it looks people, I plan to try and make my own custom fighter for the public lil' tournament aze might run. It's gonna be awesome, we'll get some strippers, good whiskey, copious amounts of drugs, it's gunna be good.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I really liked the general feel of it that the video showed. I would be interested in the testing/building of the arena stations so if you want a tester / extra hand on it send me a pm.

My biggest suggestion would be to maybe play around with some of the auxiliary weapons/effects to build some "meta-game".
    Hazards/power-ups might be pretty fun to add as-well.

Reactions: Winterhome

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Loads of potential in stuff like this. Especially with logic and rails. Obstacles and environmental hazards or even timers to close off areas / open up new ones to compress the arena and force close quarter fights. Exciting stuff.

You could get a real fast paced DM experience with good map design (and sound effects ^^ )

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    seems alot like a zero G FPS to me, interesting concept, maybe nextime you should try it with mech suits or a giant chaos marine :3

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Map could use some details :P
    Otherwise I'm mad you didnt ask me to join you guys!
    Looks like a really fun gamemode.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    mech suits
    I dunno what suits you've been looking at, but all the mechs I've seen have been a fairly hefty size. The scale of station needed for mechs would be quite the task to make.

Then again, you could probably combine mechs and the small fighters into 1 thing with various sized hallways. That'd be interesting.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Are you still planning to do the thing where thrusters cost 0 energy, but weapons still do, so you can run out of "ammo" and need to go refill it?

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sometimes I feel that we're all so hung up on the OMG OPEN WORLD WOW FACTION SURVIVAL aspect of the game that we forget that we can do a lot more than that, even if some of the tools we have for it are a little on the derpy side.

I'm working on a pretty simple deathmatch type config - all weapons changed to suit an arena environment, with tightly controlled ship designs to keep things nice and balanced. It's a heavy work in progress, but hey, even WIPs can be fun.

Threw together a really, really crappy station/map with nearly no effort put into it in a couple hours, still had plenty of fun with Olxinos and LeHitGuy100 when we tested it out via Hamachi. Corridors ended up being a bit tight, and movement was a little *too* slow, so I'll be looking at making bigger maps in the future. I'll also need to look at how ambient occlusion and chunk rendering work in Starmade so that larger maps don't lag everyone to hell. Time to kill is a bit too high, so I'll be cranking up weapon damage a bit more, reducing armor and HP for hull a bit, etc.

What I want to see in the end is a battle server that restarts every so often, importing a different station/sector and server.cfg setup (for spawn points) every time.

Pardon the lack of editing, I have absolutely *no* software I can use for it at the moment. :p
    Three-player deathmatch \o/

Edit: Any resources for setting up a battle server you guys could point me to would be fantastic.
    So basically you made a Starmade version of Descent, awesome! :)

I know Descent is quite old for a lot of people so here is a look at it,

edit: you know, after looking at the ship symbol on the cockpit display, I must say, it sure does have some resemblances of an Isanth. ;)

Reactions: kupu

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So basically you made a Starmade version of Descent, awesome! :)

I know Descent is quite old for a lot of people so here is a look at it,

edit: you know, after looking at the ship symbol on the cockpit display, I must say, it sure does have some resemblances of an Isanth. ;)
    When Az was first talking about it in Thryn Skype, he was saying how it would be like Descent.