StarMade 0.0943

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello and welcome to StarMade,

finally the new release is out. (should be available about 15 min after this post)

Here is the full changelog:

- fixed crash on faulty sector loading
    - fixed crash when missile is trying to be updated in sector that gets unloaded
    - fixed crash when object tries to get added into sector that just unloaded
    - database set from table to lock to entry lock strategy
    - redesigned segment (chunk) request system to be more robust, and more efficient
    - fixed memory leak where segments would not be cleaned up on client
    - fixed explosion not refreshing all affected segments (causing ghost blocks)
    - fixed chasing missile target mode
    - fixed bug that would stop requesting segments
    - structures are now completely loaded on servers without having to move around
    - fixed crash when ships are loaded with metadata that exceed the buffer size
    - optimized ray test physics to be more scalable. Makes a difference from 1 to 130 fps in some situations (e.g. shooting a hole though a planet horizontally)
    - switched from synchronized to ReentrantReadWriteLock for raw block IO operations (multiple readers may acquire lock. all wait for writer)
    - increased max value for "draw distance" and "max segments" settings
    - optimized IO operations by using thread pools and a finer lock granularity
    - eliminated client lag (short freeze) when leaving areas with many objects loaded

- fixed a source of segment(chunk) errors
    - better synchronization for file handle checking (exception on server: "Having to reopen closed file"). Possible fix for "too many files open"
    - fixed server local crash (causes freeze and spams exceptions) when player enters a ship directly from the gravity of another ship (physics cleanup wasn't done properly in some occasions)
    - optimized routine for simulation thread a little to not hog less database performance when triggered
    - mothership no longer stops when undocking an object
    - sector protection now includes shield hits
    - improved concurrency of segment generation (depending on type multiple segments(chunks) can be generated at once) -> better multicore usage -> faster object creation when generated (e.g. asteroids)
    - target chasing missiles will now fly in a straight line when the target no longer exists
    - slightly increased speed for target chasing missiles
    - fixed bug in target chasing missile that would cause the client not to have a reference for the target (glitches in flight path)
    - indicator of targeted entity now appears yellow when in missile target mode (to ensure right aiming with objects in the same line of sight)
    - re-enabled local segment caches and improved them with new request system (pooled requests from local disk)

- fixed bug where entering a space station that reaches over in another sector from that other sector, the sector context would be wrong and the spawning points would get set wrong
    - Modified ships that have changed the type of the core to something else are now checked on spawn and destroyed should there be no block at the center, or if it's of the 'core' type
    - added admin command to destroy structures and all their docked objects at once (/destroy_entity_dock)
    - improved readability of log (consistent format) and scale (smaller timestamps and no unnecessary info)
    - blueprint/catalog transaction (buy/save) are now logged in serverlog
    - spawn/renaming of structures is now logged in serverlog
    - death/kills are now logged in serverlog
    - fixed bug in AI calculating missile range
    - AI will automatically switch to the according program now when docked/undocked
    - fixed bug where astronauts would be physically pushed on server by "no-contact-response" physics helper objects
    - fixed bug where astronauts cannot be hit by missiles
    - locked on missiles will now loose target when it gets unavailable (2 sector distance, killed, entered a block as astronaut)
    - death by missile is now displayed correctly
    - missile trail graphics will no longer glitch when changing sector
    - added server cfg option to deactivate skin distribution (for clients the upload will display but the server just throws away the data)

- added upload logs to serverlog
    - fixed light-beacons spawning in space without the block
    - fixed bug where player would have to have the credits to buy a blueprint although it's set to buy-with-blocks
    - added advices for loading screen
    - fixed missiles not exploding (just stopping) but damage was done (last prebuild)
    - increased slowest turning speed by axis by 50%
    - increased basic value for shield recharge

- fixed GUI for faction hub (player was able to click on things even with open dialog)
    - fixed a long existing bug that caused the game stop displaying new segments
    - fixed GUI bug where in some resolutions the "click-area" would be incorrect. Apparently LWJGL Display resolutions aren't always pixel perfect

I hope servers and clients will be a lot more stable now. If there are any pressing issues, I'll release a hot-fix asap.

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    Sweet great as always. Keep this up. It\'s amazing how well my larger ships load now. And how well the game runs.

Also thanks for the 50% boost on turning. I personally like using 0.8, or 0.9 in the server config for my large ships instead of the defualt 1.1. But thats preference. That way I only have to wait 15sec to turn 90 degrees which is reasonable from a playability, and usable standpoint. Anyway it\'s much better then before. But again would personally like another small boost.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Schema working level: ultra fast :DD

Great job schema you are a hero :DD

Reaction score
    That is quite the change log. And I see you upped the draw distance? Very nice indeed. My computer is more then able to beast this game, so being able to ramp up the draw distance is a very nice addition.

(Havent played yet, so may have read/understood that wrong...)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    server updated. all is well :D thanks!

can\'t wait to check the changes :D

Reaction score
    My prayers have been answered, newbs can no longer drain shields and cause factions to declare war on everything when players in spawn shoot at ships there. I kept having to deal with my faction becoming neutral hostile when someone who was not in a faction shot at my ship in spawn and then everything starting to shoot.

Reaction score
    As far as I know, there is nothing special about this ship besides the fact it is a dreadnought missle (therefore it has Dis-Integraters). Here is a video demonstrating the bug. Btw, I have my max speed hightened and I may have crossed a sector boundary previously.

Video Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yyr6fmxsnps3rh/StarMade%20v0.0943%20Bug%20Report.avi

(It is pretty slow on the Dropbox veiwer, I suggest downloading it.)

Thanks for being devoted to the development of such a great game!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t really care much for AMC balancing and Shield discussion but Schema... I could kiss you right now. Best update yet IMO. Thank god I can see farther now! Great job and keep up the good work! You are doing an amazing job! :D

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Might be a problem with the increased turning speed. can you please upload the ship you are using. I\'ll fix this asap

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sir,wil you also add mesuring tools for build mode. so I can mesure the distange between 2 odd points. with those numbers it would be nice if the game could make a circle for you. doing it by hand ... didnt really work for me

anyway,

great job the game is working MUCH better now

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    like minecraft 2 years a go hardly anybody knew about it and I would love to see what starmade looks like in two year and Schema you done a good job so far. I\'m looking forward to what you have next

Reaction score
    This is by far my favorite patch yet. Now my factions homesector that\'s filled with super ships doesn\'t reduce me single didget fps. keep up the good work schema

Reaction score
    I saw that the FLoating lights was suppose to be fixed, but I just had some pop up, I am going to see if I can get it to repeat or if it was just a minor glitch.

Otherwise great update Schema!!

Reaction score
    Ok here\'s the link: http://star-made.org/node/13253

It has a lot of engine power for its size, it\'s made for ramming. It doesn\'t look pretty, though... For some reason it only spazzed out for me when I turned toward a shop.