StarMade 0.09378: Fixes, shield balance & new admin tools

Reaction score
    spawn camping should be protected by 2,2,2 protection.

Then... all you have to do is get in a tiny ship and run. Building in spawn is the dumb way to play.

Reaction score
    Previously large ship vs. large ship was a useless battle, and anyone who was in a large ship would basically pick on small ships only.

the instant a large ship met another large ship it was a death sentence for both parties, and they would opt out of fighting and run. ( if they where smart and had experianced a large ship battle before )

with the old system large ships weapons increse outstriped the rate sheilds grew. Large ships would suffer massive damage from 1 weapon strike, and with menuverability in the toilet, you could not avoid being hit.

Sheilds would break in seconds and your ship would be trashed - even if you survive you need to scrap the ship and re-buy because repairing it would take hours of manuel rebuilding.

The new system is far far far worse. Large ships now have non-exsistant sheilds compared to the weapons they carry. it is a complete joke as a ship that at one point could sustain 5 seconds of direct fire now insta-pops. It was facing copy of itself with a 1/8 weapon/sheild ratio.

But this was never sheilds fault, only weapons systems. Weapons increase in power too rapidly, and even if they platue you just split the gun into smaller ones.

Reaction score
    I think its possible that the change is to switch focus from large ships to smaller ships? Not a bad idea really, it would help servers a lot.

Yet people always wanted a carrier, a mobile base to keep their ships safe. Perhaps linking power and sheilds would be a good idea, and extra emiters just boosts the available through-put and a small increse in efficiency.

Where a percent of power generation goes into the sheilds, and if you want strong sheilds you need to put 100% of your power into it ( meaning no guns ) perfect for carriers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Okay, I get the objective with this rebalancing. It\'s supposed to make the gap between the shields of small and big ships a bit smaller. That is usually a good idea, but in this context, there is a problem with it: those two classes of ships aren\'t supposed to be balanced in any way. If I build a capital ship, I\'m using more resources, more space, more time, so am I not supposed to have advantages over the small fighter? In fact, if you get any movie or series that involve spaceships - Starcraft, Star Trek, Sar Wars, etc - whenever it comes to a 1x1 fight, the guy with the biggest gun wins. So, actually, the capital ships are supposed to be a bit OP if compared to fighters.

Yes, the recharge timer is a good idea, sice it counterbalances those shields that recharge in less than a second. However, making it increase with the shield blocks creates a terrible disadvantage for the capital ships. The immense time it takes for the shields to start recharging makes it possible for tiny fighters to destroy them just by flying around and shooting randomly. If the big ship\'s pilot manage to steer in a way that it can fire on the small one, the latter would have plenty of time to get to a better position, the big shields would be far away from reloading at this point.

That is just something that can\'t happen. Capital ships are designed to be as powerful and hard to destroy as possible. It is made to resist anything trown at it. But if it can\'t handle even a small ship, it becomes virtually worthless. You may ask, \"how am I supposed to bring it down when using another big ship destroys both?\". Well, that\'s were the other types of ships come in. That\'s were strategy comes in. When you compare 1x1, the bigger one wins. But once more ships enter the fight, the equation gains a lot more variables. For example, strenght in numbers. A single bomber may not fire frequently enough to prevent the shields of a Capital ship to recover (note that I\'m considering a suggestion I will be making later on) nor the damage output to overcome the recovery, but once more of them stick toghether, these attributes get multiplied, allowing them to win the fight. Other factor is that if one of the teams manage to sneak a few ships behind the enemy, the sneak attack can be more devastating than five capital ships. In the end, there are lots of factors that affect the outcome of the battle: friends, tactics, luck... But when it comes to the duel, the man with the biggest stick (therefore more money, time, etc) will win. Yes, that\'s unfair. life is like this. Turning the epic, massive capital ships everyone loves into nearly-useless machines doesn\'t help anything. At all.

That being said, there are a few suggestions I would like to make: first, the shield regen delay must be rethinked. Personally, I think it should be 3 or so seconds for all ships. Most games use this for health regen, and it works fine. Secondly, I don\'t think the shield stats should go back to where they were. I always tought small ships needed more shields, since they have less space for dispersors. But now, make it in a way that the shields become more efficient the more blocks you put, opposite of what happens now. After all, if I\'m spending lots of money for those blocks, why am I being prejudicated?

I\'m not saying everything should be changed exactly now, nor that I speak the absolute thruth. Anyone has the right to disagree. But here I leave a request for the creators: please, think a little more about this matter. This is just not the way.

Reaction score
    ive noticed that when i shoot at the sheilds with my ships some of the damage just goes right through the sheilds meaning even if i have 100% of sheilds my hull still takes damage, im not sure if this is a bug or not but dev should look into it

Reaction score
    I just had to drop in and say the StarNet tool is pretty nifty when running a linux server!

Reaction score
    Yeah, I think that is the real problem. Weapons are too overpowered. I think they need to either have to do less damage or consume insane amounts of power.

Reaction score
    One of the worst updates to happen, this shield nerf absoloutley destroys the game, please change it back...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m not sure how I feel about this update. I don\'t quite understand how big capital ships need to be nerfed so much. IMO, what should be done is that shields should be a function of how many blocks are on the entire ship and the shield module blocks, but not make it such a horrible function. (The idea is that the shields are having to shield more blocks, so you need more shield modules. Your function could be of the form f(x,s) where x = shield modules/blocks and s = shield modules.) I wouldn\'t make it like a square root though... I\'d have to think more about the exact form. This would mean that you need to be sure to dedicate a certain amount of shield modules for bigger ship performance. The ideal ratio would be 1. If you make weapons work similarly (perhaps with some slight difference), then ship designers would have to decide if they prefer firepower or shielding. If this exact ratio is not prefered, it can still be scaled by changing the exponents in the ratio x above.

If bobby AI units could be told to have a preferred docking port, this would make carriers extremely favourable because the carrier itself could devot itself to high shielding and its ships to weapons. This would make swarms of ships a viable option against capital ships as it should be. The carrier would be to protect the smaller ships until they are needed (so it would be maximizing the ratio x).

Just a thought.

Reaction score
    This makes stations very hard to defend, Only 500,000 shield after 10,000 shield blocks. Perhaps a differant rule/equation can be used in the case of stations?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about this for the small ship big ship issue
    In all fairness small ships should have a higher top speed acceleration and turning ability they should also be able to cloke easier making them more for covert missions and large scale ambushes and battles however big ships should have more damage and higher shields in reality u would not want to or try to take on a large ship with a smaller one this way both ships have ad advantages and disadvantages and as fair as taking down large ships they could combine forces with another ship and use power drain and tactics which is what I believe a small ship should have to do there is no way to make both sides happy since both would prefer to be stronger by raising the top speed of small ships this would allow them to escape with minor damage if played right its only fair to reward large ships with shields and damage since the take more time to construct and would I real life have that agility thank u for hearing me ou

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your understanding with this topic will come via obviously in the following paragraphs. I enjoy look at this type of content articles, I think you\'ll may up-date this.
    Gas engine generator
    Portable gas generator

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Dada Ganpati Guar Products Pvt. Ltd. is a leading manufacturer of Guar Fast Hydration Polymers used in Gas Oil Fields fracturing Industry in the world.
    Natural polymers suppliers
    Shell Energy
    Guar Split

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This will help in making considerable changes onto the servers. The information on the critical fixes is of good use for reviewing all the given errors. Good read.

what causes snoring

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Kitchen Alternatives is a full service kitchen and bathroom remodeling company that will help you create the perfect kitchen or bathroom for you home.
    Kitchen and bathroom remodeling rochester
    One stop home remodeling Rochester
    Kitchen remodeling contractor Rochester
    Kitchen design rochester NY

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    SRSG incorporated in 1997 with a vision to provide the technology of Apple. SRSG is one and half decade old agile and adaptable company dealing with wide spectrum of broadcast IT and media technology products and services.
    imac service center in kolkata
    Apple service center in bhubaneswar
    iphone service center in guwahati
    News room automation in india

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The main goal off Rochester Web Pages is to build you an amazing website, with faster page loads, a great web design that will keep visitors coming back for more.
    Rochester NY ecommerce
    Rochester NY web design Company
    Rochester NY Wordpress service