Planned Stack Limits

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    limit the total number of items and maybe the number of different item types
    ^This is what I actually meant. Yes. This.
    To go into more detail, (and probably repeating a bit) each block type has a "volume"/packing space associated with it, and each type of container has its own "volume"/space to pack stuff.
    So say ore has a volume of 5 and the standard containers have a volume of 5,000,000. That's 1,000,000 ore that can fit in one cargo block. That 5,000,000 can be split between any items, so there's no stack limit, just a general limit.
    For some reason almost no one can stand the idea of physical pipes.
    Because no system requires physical connections, aside from docking where is makes significantly less sense to have the wireless connections.
    Our plan is pretty simple for cargo, don't see the point of over-complicating things.
    So I take it that means the idea of different cargo controllers is "no" or "not now" or "mod it in later?"

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    To go into more detail, (and probably repeating a bit) each block type has a "volume"/packing space associated with it, and each type of container has its own "volume"/space to pack stuff.
    If we were to go that route, I'd say there are two options:
    1. Make all full "blocks" (like hulls, shield caps, power reactors) 1 cubic meter, make hull shapes use their actual volume, etc. I don't think we would want any goofy stuff like making advanced armor take up twice as much volume as hull when they're both exactly 1 m^3
    2. Use block mass instead. There are some things that would need changed like the mass of capsules (which I think count as decorative blocks - they'd still be too heavy), but on the whole this would probably be easier. Use this option for a sort of matter-energy conversion storage system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If we were to go that route, I'd say there are two options:
    1. Make all full "blocks" (like hulls, shield caps, power reactors) 1 cubic meter, make hull shapes use their actual volume, etc. I don't think we would want any goofy stuff like making advanced armor take up twice as much volume as hull when they're both exactly 1 m^3
    2. Use block mass instead. There are some things that would need changed like the mass of capsules (which I think count as decorative blocks - they'd still be too heavy), but on the whole this would probably be easier. Use this option for a sort of matter-energy conversion storage system.
    The volume is an arbitrarily value chosen for balancing, not the actual volume of the block. It's a weighted value for determining how much of a storage things take up. Unrelated to the volume stuff has when it's placed as a block. Just like mass is defined, ID by ID, in the configuration file.

And it's balanced by "how much stuff should we be able to fit in one storage."
    So say we can fit 1,000 ore in a storage. So obviously we should be able to fit at least 5,000 capsules in that storage, because otherwise refined crafting materials take up more space.
    So should we be able to fit 1,000 hull in the same space as 1,000 ore? No, probably not. Maybe 500? Yeah, that seems reasonable.
    And should we be able to fit 500 s. armor in the same space as 500 hull? Maybe. This one I could really see coming down to the server. But even if we can't, I can't see reducing it down to below 400.
    So let's also say 500 reactors can fit in one storage. Should 500 weapon modules? 500 computers?