Split Screen Cameras and camera displays

Reaction score
    I have an idea that involves cameras. One, there should be a split screen camera view. It's one of the most annoying things when I have to keep switching between cameras to get something done. What I propose is a small button in the lower right corner, by the hot bar, that allows you to split screen, or multi-screen cameras throughout the ship. Also, there should be a new block, that when connected to a camera, displays it. Also, if multiple of the modules are linked up, they display the camera on a bigger screen.
    Thanks for reading,
    FireG0dz

Reactions: Cirdanoth
    Reaction score
    A good idea, but it would be easier just to modify the UI to support multiple windowed views. These windows could be resized and moved at will(or minimized out of the way when not needed), and you could select which cameras are viewed through them, as well as switch to any of them in the main screen. This is the way it's been done in other games involving space flight. This would offer the same functionalty as in your idea, but be a more versatile system. Extra blocks would not be necessary if the cameras themselves supported this functionality. As I said, what I describe is more of an UI modification rather than something tied to extra blocks in game.

Also, we need to take into account the game side of things as well, if there were multiple views the workload for the graphics system in the game would increase, due to it needing to render multiple views at the same time. This could mean that FPS would drop and in some cases make the game unplayable due to low FPS. Not everybody plays SM on a high-end gaming system after all.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Would be neat. I'd mark as super low priority. If we got this it would be very late development due to the complexity of rendering multiple views.