Spherical Turrets - How Laggy are They?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd like to use one or more turrets like this one, but I fear they'd cause performance and lag problems due to collision calculations. Then again that's a problem with turrets in general, at least in greater numbers. So my question is: are spherical turrets in a hemispherical recess much worse than regular turrets or not? It would be great if some people with multiplayer experience could give me tips before I invest a lot of time in building potentially useless turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Spherical turrets don't seem to be significantly worse than any other design, no. Keep enough room in the socket between the walls and the turret itself, like a difference of 2m radius, and the only collision will be the barrel with the sides, or if you choose an internal mechanism to restrict its rotation.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    It would be great if some people with multiplayer experience could give me tips before I invest a lot of time in building potentially useless turrets.
    Tested and true. Eye-Ball turret

I can't speak about combat effectiveness but it did win one tournament with evenly matched ships. (50K blocks/one turret only/no swarm-missiles.)

Lag was never a problem (and there were plenty of things that would lag that server). I realize that this turret is not exactly what you were asking about. It does not have extra moving parts that could add to lag but it did operate two supply beams that were operated by an oscillator cct and triggered via wireless (now obsolete).

I state that this turret is zero-collision and that is a slight fib. All turrets that do not float their barrels have two points of collision in the barrel; the lower limit and the upper limit. This turret has those but no other points of contact. In fact I use the lower limit to prevent the turret from even attempting to fire below it's clear arc of fire. This prevented it from wasting power shooting it's own base or the host ship. When the base rotates it can spin 360 degrees with full freedom. All of this has worked flawlessly for me.

Something to consider. The way this turret sticks out of the host ship gives it a tremendous field of fire. You will get better than 180 degrees of kill-zone while being more exposed to enemy fire. This turret was intended as a damage soak so that worked for this purpose.

I hope that is helpful. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This is my free floating 360 degree coverage planetary defense turret

I used to have a problem where upon loading my sector, these things would come apart from their spherical carrier bases and start wiggling out of control...

The end result? LAAAAAAAAAAG!!! :eek:
    Space Gun2.jpg

They were near a planetary base but still...

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Sphere turrets are no worse for lag than regular turrets and are by far the most volume efficinent design making them more competative.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I use spherical turrets all the time.

The main defensive turret on top of my homebase is an eyeball turret, actually.
    starmade-screenshot-0003.png

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It might, yeah. Try to make sure the socket is two sizes too large for the turret and that'll be mostly mitigated

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Could you please explain?
    the game will start doing this checks as soon as the box dims of the two objects intercept. a sphere turret 1m from its socket does the exact same checks as a regular turret on a flat surface. The only way you could avoid such checks would be to have turret on the very edge of the ship with no parts of the ship extending beyond that turret.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    the game will start doing this checks as soon as the box dims of the two objects intercept.
    I can confirm this. The base of my eyeball turret sits inside a recessed cylinder of the host-ship. I made efforts to avoid lag by maintaining a buffer space between the wedges of the base and of the 'socket'. Even though the slabbed or wedged blocks had a gap when rotating it seemed to give me grief if the dimensional blocks intersected. I aimed for a visual gap of about 1 and a half-two blocks and found that sufficient to avoid lag.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Even though the slabbed or wedged blocks had a gap when rotating it seemed to give me grief if the dimensional blocks intersected.
    So to be on the safe side I need to replace all shaped blocks with cubes and make sure that there are still no collisions?

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    So to be on the safe side I need to replace all shaped blocks with cubes and make sure that there are still no collisions?
    That would be a good way to troubleshoot the build.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That would be a good way to troubleshoot the build.
    i did some testing myself recently and came to the same conclusion.
    Thank you for the clarification/confirmation. I found that I can make the gap a bit smaller by replacing certain cubes with heptas (effectively cutting off corners), which looks better, but with several large turrets that would probably cause collision hell.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Thank you for the clarification/confirmation. I found that I can make the gap a bit smaller by replacing certain cubes with heptas (effectively cutting off corners), which looks better, but with several large turrets that would probably cause collision hell.
    As far as I understand you are gonna incur the same amount of checking regardless.