Spherical Planets made out of unbend blocks

Reaction score
    So currently we are talking about Sphere-ish Constructs made out of blocks.

Unlike worlds made out of bent blocks (real spheres) and worlds in another dimension (minecraft worlds) It is much easier to add for schema.However there are some problems open to discuss

Open problems

1.You would stand in an different angle than your buildings except on one block

Solution possibility:Using gravity blocks to replace the default gravity

2.Plants/trees would stand in a wrong angle

Solution possibility:The angle of plants could get altered and if halfblocks get added to planet gen they wouldnt look too bad.Any structures consisting of multiple blocks could get generated in an similar angle.

3.The planet would be too small or everything would be flatened anyway to make building easier

Solution Possibility:Except on the extreme edges flatening the planet would be pointless also the planets would have a huge surface big enoug for probably any pupose.Also some structures (turrets/docking ares) could built on the edges to use the otherwise ugly (ugly if you build on it) areas

Illegit problems

1.It would be impossible to add for schema

Noit would be rather easy even though finer things (such as making the plants point in the right direction could use time)

2.Cores would catch the player or spin him around.

Illegit because the Gravity in the core can be very easily set to 0.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    i think you need to elaborate on the gravity, you\'ll get flame for that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    \"what the hell did you learn in school?\" It certainly wasn\'t modeling non-euclidian spacial geometry into a strict euclidian framework, then rendering that model in real time so that it is consistent across multiple light weight java based clients. Is it possible? I say yes. Is it easy? HELL NO.

Kindly GTFO. If being an ass made the code compile, we\'d all be vacationing on holodecks.

Reaction score
    I doubt you and everybody else who says spherical planets can work without too much trouble in this game

tunnel vision is a bad thing

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    if all of such is so easy why not create models to prove what youre saying then volunteer to work with scheema?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    The tone of your post was set in your first \'reply\'. Nothing after that even got consideration, you have said nothing of value. You certainly didn\'t even come close to the title of your thread.

You could be a coder, I suppose, but I very much doubt it. Sure, it *might* be possible to create spherical worlds, or at least cubical ones. However, no one has more experience coding for *this* game than its creator. If he says it would be too difficult, then I am willing to accept that.

Frankly, there so much stuff in StarMade, and so much potential, that I am quite willing to overlook a few things. I mean, I\'d like more weapons, block types and warp engines before spherical worlds. And I doubt I\'m alone in that.

If coding spherical worlds would mean that nothing else would be accomplished for a while.. to that I say.. eff that.

Reaction score
    The problem is that Bending the blocks to an round shape doesn´t work well.

You are all flaming too much to actually understand that I am not talking about implementing round planets but planets out of unmodified Cubes which just got an (relatively) round shape -_- Maybe i didn´t point it out enough

Of course there would be minor problems since you would stand inclined on the planets surface which is good enough since you really don´t need planets.

@Ante285 It never was an problem.Obviously A lot of people think planetary edges (as on Cubes) would be complicated though and some people confused it with centering gravity on one block

@Gaeas Son I am talking about gravity not modular shape whatsit.You clearly missed the point

@Nero Neala Which kind of Models Lol?They would be pretty overfluent.

@Gasboy Thanks for flaming me.

@Nootau Schema basically Said following things

1.Planets which get created by bending a plane are too complex and he would have to recode everything else with bad results
    2.Gravity Borders on Cubes could be concerning
    3.The future shape will either be an oreo or a cube

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why don\'t you code up your idea for Schema and get your idea put into the game? If there are no bugs, not lag forming, and the code works fine he will likely add it in. You said it yourself, it isn\'t hard.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    About creating round-ish planets with the basic cube block.

You seemed to miss our point though: You seemed to infer that it (round planets vs discs) could be done because you say so. Which is just trolling.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ll present to you an example of round planets, using cubic blocks, with no bending and no wierd gravity:

Pytheas is a game/game engine which has, right now, round planets made out of blocks. It is super-easy:

*The game makes a flat block map in the usual way

*The map edges wrap around to the other side (-x becomes +x and -y +y)

*The map is made into an image and projected onto a sphere

*The sphere is what you intereact with when in space

An unnoticible loading transition happens when you approach the planets and head towards the surface, much the same way as the stars currently blurr when loading new areas/planets.

Bam - no gravity problems (gravity is down relative to a flat plane, as it is now when on a planet), no wierd blocks, spherical planets.

Reaction score
    this has already been suggested multiple times and discussed, it is a nice idea but I think it is too late to start reworking current mechanics to support this {more like I don\'t see it coming}

Reaction score
    to me planets play such a trivial role there is so much more to the game than planets i really dont care what shape they are in i love the game and the direction it is going in as it is

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The issue with flat planets being bent into a sphere has been mentioned before, it can lag out the server and it might require loading screens. Yes, spherical planets are possible, but as far as I can see, people would rather have a FLAT building surface. This is a game made of blocks if you haven\'t recalled and it defines the limitations of what we can do with the engine and how if affects gameplay. The only reason people want to make planets round is because they can\'t stand the sight of a flat disc in space. If you\'re going to be building on it and it is going to be a flat surface then why do you care. You cannot see the curve of the Earth when standing on ground, why do you need to be convinced that you\'re standing on a sphere in game. Central gravitation would also create infinite points of gravity or at least a crap-load more than already exists, which is currently one directional. This can increase resources spent on this system and on a cubical or spherical planet it will be disorientating as hell. If I\'m on a flat block, why would i want to be angled 45 degrees just to make sure my gravity is always pointed to the center. On Cube worlds, you could potentially break the gravity rules by building past the edges of the cube or digging into them. Schema isn\'t an idiot, he\'s been thinking about this a lot longer than you clearly have.

Reaction score
    Boy, you start coding a game this awesome THEN tell me that it wouldnt be hard to do.

Reaction score
    if i knew a bit more java, i could implement this in, just as i have (on my game files) implemented a pop-up map of sectors, increased flying speed (very easy) and a few other things. you don\'t have to be angled, just you would transition a bit more smoothly. if you had a central gravity area, no matter how you faced, you would still be flat on the ground. i would like this, but i would also like this to go beta before it is implemented. and schema could implement this as a TEST to see what the feedback is and what the possibilities could be. also, i don\'t like the fact you can just fly beneath a planet and get tens of thousands of credits by the exposed ores. this would help with exploiting the flat discs. thank you for your time, Marshal over and out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you want, you can learn more and prove Schema wrong, nothing says you aren\'t allowed to.

Side note, you can config change speed.

Reaction score
    True statement: there are way too much threads about spherical planets from people who don\'t understand **** about the matter! \"Oh look at me: i squeezed some snow in my hands and now it iz sphere! problem solved!\"

seriously, if you really have a good idea, why don\'t you contact schema? he sure will be grateful for your help.

and then there are always the people saying: \"if i was better at programming i could solve this in mere minutes!\"
    take this!: \"if i was better at fish-picture-takening i would be the best fish-picture-takerer!\"

if that really is the biggest deal, why don\'t you learn java and make your own game? I mean, it wouldn\'t be a problem if you were better at java, right?

_____

Schema has more important things to do than to add some optical gimmiks to the game.
    The only thing i think woud be nice about planets is the idea of adding a 2nd surface to the bottom of them.

I\'m not saying this has top-priority and we need it now! i\'m just saying that it would be a nice to have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Schema already explained the issue at nearly cubic planets which are easely \"built\" but not functional, at the bottom of his Dev message, for those who actually read the full thing until down the bottom. For those who didn\'t read the full message, just stop trying to post about it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My post #11 links to a game which has spherical planets, which are blocky when approached. I\'m confused at everyone saying it\'s impossible or that it isn\'t practical - it has been done.

The way it works, for those who missed the post up a few, is that a sphere is generated in space to represent the planet. Then, when the planet\'s 3d block-based surface is created, a 2d map is created that is projected onto the sphere. When you approach close to the sphere, a loading transition happens (similar to our current \'streaking stars\' loading sequence when swithcing sectors) and you can see the 3d block surface.

I belive that that solution actually drastically improves performance, since being near a planet doesn\'t equal being near a giant block structure, and rather just puts you near an easy-to-render sphere. If you\'re near the surface, only portions of the planet load (as in Minecraft), so you\'ve got improvements there too.