Speed Logic

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would it be possible to have logic that's based on speed and/or thrust inputs?

Outputs for the following:
    - 6 directions of thrust
    - braking and accelerating
    - speed relative to max

Would be nice for making exhaust nozzles/vanes that actually move based on speed / maneuvering or speed brakes that automatically deploy when braking.... cosmetic stuff but still neat... or maybe a ship is signaled to come apart at a certain speed, lol, im sure there's lots of uses.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    There's a logic block for that. Link the sensor to a thruster.
    is there a shortcut for sensors to detect anything greater than 0%? by default they always start with 100% and adding activation modules only divides the threshold downwards.

If thats still confusing what im asking is there a way to do that in reverse. or am I doomed to added a like 100 activation modules to get a sensor to sense something 1% and above?

Reaction score
    Thrust Direction is not detectable with logic. Sadly. They would need to add a new block for that. It's been requested at least a few times before, so maybe someday.

Sensors applied to thrust can be used to determine different speeds. There is no other way that I know of to get a 1% reading without having 99 inactive activation modules and 1 active one.

The sensor cannot detect breaking or acceleration, but you could devise logic to detect acceleration and breaking based on the activation or deactivation of varied speed sensors. IE, if you had sensors to detect 1, 10, 100 etc% of max speed, any activation or deactivation could be used as a signal for acceleration or deceleration, and a delay where the states do not change could be interpreted through logic as an absence of acceleration or deceleration. It'd be a bit convoluted, but it could be done.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would also be nice to separate the thruster plume from thruster blocks and be able to somehow make thruster plumes a decoration block that works similar to how thrusters look now, with decoration intensity depending on speed. Bonus: directional thruster decoration blocks that only show thrust plumes along a vector matching that vector's part of the ship's speed.

By separating plumes into decoration blocks, you can have different thrust effects: A big solid glow for big engines, and a longer thrust stream for smaller engines, for example.

You could place thruster decorators at the tip of a hollow hole, to properly simulate the appearance of a rocket, for example.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    It would also be nice to separate the thruster plume from thruster blocks and be able to somehow make thruster plumes a decoration block that works similar to how thrusters look now, with decoration intensity depending on speed. Bonus: directional thruster decoration blocks that only show thrust plumes along a vector matching that vector's part of the ship's speed.

By separating plumes into decoration blocks, you can have different thrust effects: A big solid glow for big engines, and a longer thrust stream for smaller engines, for example.

You could place thruster decorators at the tip of a hollow hole, to properly simulate the appearance of a rocket, for example.
    was thinking of something similar but for the light plum of beacons. Perhaps kupu could weigh in on this?

Reaction score
    is there a shortcut for sensors to detect anything greater than 0%? by default they always start with 100% and adding activation modules only divides the threshold downwards.

If thats still confusing what im asking is there a way to do that in reverse. or am I doomed to added a like 100 activation modules to get a sensor to sense something 1% and above?
    No shortcut to my knowledge.. could save a lil space if you can compromise with 2% but beyond that, no. I think I made a comment/suggestion about this in another thread thinking about it. something like giving sensor blocks a lil UI to set tiny percentages...

Reactions: Crimson-Artist

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    was thinking of something similar but for the light plum of beacons. Perhaps kupu could weigh in on this?
    Yeah, the Beacon sphere would be another great translucent decoration block. It might simply be a less-intense version of the big-engine glow.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ... guess this is a thread about PLUMES now....

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    No shortcut to my knowledge.. could save a lil space if you can compromise with 2% but beyond that, no. I think I made a comment/suggestion about this in another thread thinking about it. something like giving sensor blocks a lil UI to set tiny percentages...
    From my testing connecting a single deactivated activation module to a sensor will have the sensor send a on signal when there is 0% thrust. The problem is that it never changes to this on signal to an off when the ship goes above 0%.

Honestly if the sensor could just sense when the ship has gone above 0% thrust then I think we could be good. Just gotta get schema to work on this.

Reactions: Fays