Spawn Ships to Docking Rails

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    When I spawn a ship from schematic in a shipyard, it appears docked to the shipyard core. So this function mechanic exists.

When I spawn a ship from a blueprint (or shipyard), it would sure be nice if I had the option to tell it to spawn docked to a named rail dock on my structure.

Instead of... drifting in space and all.

And actually, while you're at it, adding turrets to entities is one of the most tedious elements of the entire game, and it would be an absolute lifesaver if I could just spawn turrets directly to the turret docker from station or ship control ("build block/core").

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It would be great if a "Spawn to Dock" button could be added to the blueprint dialog. Then you just pick the dock the same as the Create Docking tool.
    Perfect! I forgot about that mechanic (selecting a rail on which to create a new entity). So they really do have all the main pieces already coded. It would certainly take some real work to troubleshoot, but probably very, very worth it IMO.

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This would be so useful, especially if you could spawn to a pickup rail for shipyards to send to other docks. Also so much on the turrets thing. I hate having to spawn over a certain number of turrets only to have to go play fetch with them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Fantastic suggestion, this would make building so much more enjoyable.

Just to add on to that, some fellow players and I have been having significant issues with building turrets on our server. Turrets just refuse to turn (despite being fine previously), visualy look like they're trying to break the docking point (e.g docked but not actualy aligned.. sort of flopping all over the place).

Other times I'll dock a turret, but it will rotate opposite to what it should when you move your mouse. (This one's probably user error, but it gets me so many times -_-)

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    Picking up spawned turrets has been the one thing that has made me give up for a night testing weapons in dev builds. I wanted to test a few dozen little cannon-cannon turrets and it did not go well.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Picking up spawned turrets has been the one thing that has made me give up for a night testing weapons in dev builds. I wanted to test a few dozen little cannon-cannon turrets and it did not go well.
    Yeah, I make so many ships, but 3/4 of them I never finish because you always need turrets to finish and it absolutely sucks to do if you have more than 10 or 20 turrets, and that is often enough the case.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    And actually, while you're at it, adding turrets to entities is one of the most tedious elements of the entire game, and it would be an absolute lifesaver if I could just spawn turrets directly to the turret docker from station or ship control ("build block/core").

I majorly agree with everything in this thread, but just as a tip for anyone interested, I found that this method (showcased below) of using little "turret carrier" entities to mass-spawn your AMS arsenal makes the process somewhat less painful.

Obviously, the exact workflow I had in the video can be achieved only in environments where you can use the jump-into-core and destroy_entity commands, but I guess most people install their AMS turrets in singleplayer anyways. Also note that part of the magic here is saving your individual turret entity with easily removable thrusters, and the docker already assigned to the first slot of the hotbar.

I managed to put 30 modern (1000 DPS) AMS turrets on a nice big station (this one: MEGA PROJECT: The Mysterious Science Station) in 20 minutes (I have it on record, might upload the video).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Fantastic suggestion, this would make building so much more enjoyable.

Just to add on to that, some fellow players and I have been having significant issues with building turrets on our server. Turrets just refuse to turn (despite being fine previously), visualy look like they're trying to break the docking point (e.g docked but not actualy aligned.. sort of flopping all over the place).

Other times I'll dock a turret, but it will rotate opposite to what it should when you move your mouse. (This one's probably user error, but it gets me so many times -_-)
    You need to make sure that your turret-part cores are perpendicular to both axes of rotation and able to both line up in the same XYZ orientation. This is aggravating when you get it wrong.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Rise, ye spirit of thread departed... Rise, and return to life! I command ye, by the power of the most blasphemous word of demonic art: BUMP!!
    (BEHOLD MY DARK POWER! Bwahahahah... etc, etc.)

Seriously though. Rezzing this one in hopes that schema or kupu or someone at Schine takes a look, because it's based entirely on already existing code objects, and it doesn't affect balance or gameplay in any way except to majorly streamline one of the most tedious aspects of the game.

It would be an insanely big improvement for every player of every playstyle. It would facilitate building ships as well maintaining or upgrading them by replacing lost turrets/drones over time.

NEVERMIND!
    Just had this pointed out to me from latest update: Can now load blueprints directly onto docks.

Schema - you rule. Thank you, oh cat lord!

Last edited:
    Reactions: JNC