Space ships: movement, turn, strafe and roll

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ships need thrust in 1..3 directions.
    Downward (to resist gravity while landing)
    Backward to accelerate
    Forward to decelerate​
    Greggy_greg_do_please_kindly_stuff_a_sock_in_it_xxx

Everybody is free to divert thrust how he wants.
    Once you have to choose, peoples may only divert thrust to 3 maybe 4 directions to have more power for these few.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    NOPE.jpg
    What you're suggesting comes from sailing ships that float on water. If Starmade switches to this system I'll never play again.

Reaction score
    Space craft that use a thruster based attitude control system need multiple sources of thrust in many directions depending on it's shape. For example, for the long ship pictured above to be able to turn it needs thrust on the sides, top, and bottom on both ends. It would have the ability to strafe as a consequence of it's ability to turn by firing both sets of thrusters on the same side.
    I do agree that it should usually be less powerful than the main drive. The planed thrust allocation system will account for this I think.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Not a all, a system like this one already exist on planetside 2 for example and is working VERY well, not only it is working well but dogfights on planetside are A LOT more fun because of this.
    A ship moving to the sides like they do actually is just so weird and bad gameplay wise, it doesn't make sence to me.
    Proof in video:
    That's air combat, it's literally planetside and not in a zero-G environment. Play a game like Space Rogue or Frontier: Elite II that adhere to space physics. That's how Star Made is as well.

Eventually we'll get a system with adjustable percentages for each direction and you'll have to choose between being all around in each direction or more focused which should hopefully kill big ships moving crazy speeds in every direction. We'll always need horizontal movement to strafe in space though. You can't just turn a rudder to change your direction, space doesn't work like that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Then why NASA spaceships can't go backwards neither strafe?
    Because NASA ships aren't made for combat. I guess because NASA ships don't have canons means we don't need them either. Oh wait—

Also strafing is not needed at all, do you read what I write or not?
    Yes it is. Rolling to strafe is adding an otherwise superfluous action to do something we can already do by just pressing a single key. Go play an actual space sim if you think flying with our current system is hard and needs to be made easier.

I'll quote it for you since reading is hard these days:
    Let's look at Elite: Dangerous a SPACE ship centered game:

Oh look, no strafing, no going backwards!
    You realize you can strafe in Elite: Dangerous right? See my video, 2:00. Also, I'm not incapable of reading, but you must be blind from all the salt in your eyes because he goes backwards when he's docking at the terminal.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Profanity/Flaming I
    then it sucks and also [removed] you

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Then why NASA spaceships can't go backwards neither strafe?
    Because they can, Just not with the same intensity they can thrust forward. The shuttles wern't even space ships, they were orbiters. NASA doesn't have vessels capable of deep space travel with any significant maneuverability. We have one probe, one of our oldest ones, just barely past the edge of our solar system.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    OP might be interested in latest dev build :^)

tip: check out the server.cfg for new settings

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Of mass, of thrust? You know, there is a special place in hell for semi spoiling people xD

Reaction score
    Of mass, of thrust? You know, there is a special place in hell for semi spoiling people xD
    Yeah, give up the goods Comr4de before we have you impeached make you serve on the council for all eternity!

Not that I agree with the OP, exactly what he is asking for is for the ships to handle like aircraft, which is cool for fighters, but not so cool for everything else.

I would like to have turning key-bindable besides the mouse though.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Define NASA spaceships, if you are talking about The space Shuttle read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Maneuvering_System ¿Understand what that means?

If you are talking about Lunar modules of Apolo program read this:
    "Reaction Control System
    Four clusters of four reaction control system (RCS) thrusters were installed around the upper section of the SM every 90°. The sixteen-thruster arrangement provided rotation and translation control in all three spacecraft axes. Each R-4D thruster generated 100 pounds-force (440 N) of thrust, and used mono-methyl hydrazine (MMH) as fuel and nitrogen tetroxide (NTO) as oxidizer. Each quad assembly measured 8 feet (2.4 m) by 3 feet (0.91 m) and had its own fuel tank, oxidizer tank, helium pressurant tank, and associated valves and regulators.

The Lunar Module used a similar four-quad arrangement of the identical thruster engines for its RCS."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Command/Service_Module

Now videos for peps that don´t want to read:

Here a soyuz moving on 3 axes to dock at the I.S.S.

Atlanti´s pilot having fun.
    Well, the trick is, the Lunar Module (And our orbiters, and pretty much everything we've sent into space with the intention of being able to go anywhere with precision) have RCS thrusters, but they aren't very powerful and are basically just for minor adjustments to your course. If you really wanted to go somewhere fast, you'd turn the ship, fire the main thrusters in the back, and hang on for dear life.