Sound Emitting Blocks

Would you like to have sound emitting blocks?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ever get the feeling that space is, well, too silent? Yeah well it should be but what about when you're standing next to a reactor in a ship? Or when you open a internal hanger door? Or when your ship goes into lock down because of multiple hull breaches, shouldn't there be warning sirens sounding within the ship?

My suggestion is simply, blocks that emit sounds when activated with logic. :)

You don't even need hundreds of sounds. Just like 5 sounds to start with. Like a metallic ticking of servers or the low humming of a reactor, etc.

Sound is one of the most immersive aspects of any game and adding a feature such as these sound emitting blocks would be fantastic! :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Radius of the sound would be critical for ambiance control. Maybe a similar system to the rail speed controller could be used. 100% for max radius, and goes down from there.
    Oh, that's interesting!! I like it. But what if it had a set radius of output. And instead of the % value decreasing the radius size it decreased the strength of the sound within the radius? Like 100% strength at a distance of 10 meters. Or if you had it at 50% it would be 50% strength at 10 meters?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Use that search function, bud. I can't even tell you how many threads there are about this already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Use that search function, bud. I can't even tell you how many threads there are about this already.
    Yes there are some old ones, and some don't say exactly my point. Thought I'd make a new thread. So instead of not contributing to the suggestion, "bud", mind either giving a yes or no, and some feed back?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm maybe make the sound block so we only need one sound block for any sounds emitted from a sound block. Hit R on it and it brings up a menu, one of the options being a list of sounds, the next could be radius it is heard over, and there's a few others. Logic would simply turn the block on and off, depending on the settings it could be continuous if logic activated or once a pulse.

Give you any ideas?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    hmm maybe make the sound block so we only need one sound block for any sounds emitted from a sound block. Hit R on it and it brings up a menu, one of the options being a list of sounds, the next could be radius it is heard over, and there's a few others. Logic would simply turn the block on and off, depending on the settings it could be continuous if logic activated or once a pulse.

Give you any ideas?
    Yeah I think that's a good idea as well. But what if the block is somewhere you cant reach it like embedded in a structure. How could you set its various settings, or edit them once the block is placed and the area around it filled in? (I am a fan of having some kind of interface with it where you can open it up and edit settings)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes there are some old ones, and some don't say exactly my point. Thought I'd make a new thread. So instead of not contributing to the suggestion, "bud", mind either giving a yes or no, and some feed back?
    Nope, my opinion on the matter is documented. Which you would know if you bothered to actually use the search function, because then you would have found your exact same suggestion here. http://starmadedock.net/threads/sound-blocks.7832/#post-237641

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Nope, my opinion on the matter is documented. Which you would know if you bothered to actually use the search function, because then you would have found your exact same suggestion here. http://starmadedock.net/threads/sound-blocks.7832/#post-237641
    Nope it's not the exact same suggestion. Mine is only concerned with the sound blocks his talks about other features. (I did use the search feature) :) cheers man. Not sure why you're so upset about this...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I want to define it with tretraeder-sectors, bounded by 4 points and their connection-line's planes.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Nope it's not the exact same suggestion. Mine is only concerned with the sound blocks his talks about other features. (I did use the search feature) :) cheers man. Not sure why you're so upset about this...
    Oi, I'm not trying to be a dick here. When a forum veteran corrects you, you could at least maybe think he might know a little bit about what he's saying. The bottom line is that necroing is preferred to creating multiple posts on what is, essentially, the same thing.

No need to launch into hysterics when somebody gives you advice, bud. Just take the knowledge, use it next time. No shame in adapting to how these forums work. Doesn't matter if you've been here for a year, or 3 years, or 3 hours.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ever get the feeling that space is, well, too silent? Yeah well it should be but what about when you're standing next to a reactor in a ship? Or when you open a internal hanger door? Or when your ship goes into lock down because of multiple hull breaches, shouldn't there be warning sirens sounding within the ship?

My suggestion is simply, blocks that emit sounds when activated with logic. :)

You don't even need hundreds of sounds. Just like 5 sounds to start with. Like a metallic ticking of servers or the low humming of a reactor, etc.

Sound is one of the most immersive aspects of any game and adding a feature such as these sound emitting blocks would be fantastic! :)
    First off reactors don't hum. Turbines and generators make noise.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like it. Of course it would have to come after the developers add atmosphere for ships and stations. You know, since sound doesn't travel in a vacuum.
    ;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like it. Of course it would have to come after the developers add atmosphere for ships and stations. You know, since sound doesn't travel in a vacuum.
    ;)
    StarMade is different.
    Your reactors make the sub-space or "space-time grid" vibrate and your helmet (if in vacuum, you should wear one) transforms these sub-space vibrations to sound.

At least when you turn-on your speakers (option in your helmets(=starmade) settings)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Actually, that's an interesting point. Different sounds, depending on whether you have your helmet on or off.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    First off reactors don't hum. Turbines and generators make noise.

Hehe my bad just an example :P

Oi, I'm not trying to be a dick here. When a forum veteran corrects you, you could at least maybe think he might know a little bit about what he's saying. The bottom line is that necroing is preferred to creating multiple posts on what is, essentially, the same thing.

No need to launch into hysterics when somebody gives you advice, bud. Just take the knowledge, use it next time. No shame in adapting to how these forums work. Doesn't matter if you've been here for a year, or 3 years, or 3 hours.
    OK "bud". lol

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    StarMade is different.
    Your reactors make the sub-space or "space-time grid" vibrate and your helmet (if in vacuum, you should wear one) transforms these sub-space vibrations to sound.

At least when you turn-on your speakers (option in your helmets(=starmade) settings)
    Subspace vibrates all the time same with along with time-space.
    Every object in space causes ripples and they are all moving in one way or another that we can tell.
    Your response to the OP leaves me with a bit of a question. Are threads supposed to expire on here or is it ok to bring up a old thread over and over again.

There seems to be about 3 nearly identical to this one if not more stopped looking after that. point.
    What I didn't see was a NO or absolutely not on one of those. Granted one further back may have had it but how far back are we to go?
    Is it not possible that things changed enough that now a suggestion may fall into line where in the past it didn't?

To make a point you could spend an hour or better looking back through posts to save what a few hundred bytes of data on a server hard drive. My time is worth a hell of a lot more. I'd rather pay and give them a larger hard drive for the server considering the cost of drive space these days. I can say that as a system admin and developer with a good number of sites.