Sound Blocks

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It is no secret the universe is like 99% silence, and even though this is close to being changed, customizable sounds is always a great thing to have.

The suggestion:
    >Two (more?) new group of blocks called 'note blocks' (7 each, making a full octave).
    >They would function just like a button - The first would emit a harp-like 'ting' when activated. The second would emit a "strings and orchestra" sound. More variety possible here!
    >They would look just like logic blocks and would have the "music note" symbol on the faces, followed by a small number (1 to 7) indicating frequency and another small symbol indicating instrument.
    >Connecting an activation module in ON state would increase the octave emitted by one. Connecting an activation module in OFF state would decrease the octave by one. (So, totally three octaves)
    >Specifications- Radius where sound is emitted- same as how "Laser damaging some block" sounds travel. When ingame music tracks are released, they would mute when a note block is playing in audible range.
    >Possibilities: Door sounds, dock sounds, indoor music, red alert systems, misc sounds, engines activating sounds, 17 other things not being mentioned here.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Reactions: JinM and Dire Venom

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    (been a long time since I had to use these)

I'm sure something like this is planned the only problem is that the game lacks a proper sound engine atm which is what they are planning on adding at some point.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I'm sure something like this is planned the only problem is that the game lacks a proper sound engine atm which is what they are planning on adding at some point.
    It's not a high priority. If I remember correctly, I think they said sound wouldn't be worked on in earnest until the game got close to beta. It's one of those polish things that doesn't affect the core game.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Thoughts?
    Never liked the minecraft soundblocks. Took up a lot of space for a melody and bugged with ping/lags.
    I would prefer to place and link instrument blocks and upload/store .abc files in them, similar to starbound.
    Empty block makes a noise as long as powered. With file it would play a more complex melody instead of a simple "beeeeeeeeeep".
    Btw. it's possible to create own .abc files, custom ship alarms or elevator sounds would be no problem.

But yeah, power - weapon - planet - performance updates first pls. ;)

Reactions: Dire Venom and nogg
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It's not a high priority. If I remember correctly, I think they said sound wouldn't be worked on in earnest until the game got close to beta. It's one of those polish things that doesn't affect the core game.
    Looks like I was wrong: Dank's Thread
    They have songs for a sound track. Had them for a while, I just didn't know. Other than that though, I don't see anything about implementing sounds and the songs into the game engine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Simple oscillators, noise generators, lfos and filters that can be triggered by logic in different ways would be the way to go.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    At the very least I would love to see ambient sound blocks.
    Simply make them like the core, and emmit the related sound either when triggered or on a clock, with a AOE control slider to adjust sound propergation.

Even wìth just a couple (engine sounds, doors, deep thruming etc) would make a world of difference :3