Something that rhymes with "Harris Class Frigate"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Got the itch for making something new and a ship I'd always wanted to build but didn't have the time or drive to really do so.

All I've got so far is the bridge and this is after roughly 8 hours of work. I'm sure some Halo fans will recognize it but in case you aren't; it's the Paris class frigate from the Halo universe that I'm working on.

I'll add some more pictures as I make more progress on it but I wanted to share what I have so far.

EDIT: Added the Sketchfab render for eye candy. Next will probably be once she's finished though.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey! That's really good: instantly recognizable.

It would be very cool to see a 1:1 Paris Class. Nobody ever builds them that big, but the scale on the conning tower portion you finished leads me to believe you could.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Hey! That's really good: instantly recognizable.

It would be very cool to see a 1:1 Paris Class. Nobody ever builds them that big, but the scale on the conning tower portion you finished leads me to believe you could.
    Yeah that Is kinda my intention. We'll see how close I get it, but it should be within 20 meters

Reaction score
    That'll be a beautifull ship once you're done. Keep it up good sir.
    (and I'm glad you said what it was supposed to be, because I didn't recognize it, and it has "enuff" detailing that it could be it's own cargo ship.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    \
    And the addition of the beginning of the engine pods. Took a surprising amount of work but I think it was the size of them which was what took such a long time. Next will be the actual thrusters (I love engines so that will be fun) and then the armor plates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Finally finished up the armor plating around the engine nacelles... These took a long time to finish and I'm absolutely hoping that they were the hardest part of the ship. I spent roughly 18 hours between the two finishing them both up. Here they are with a few different angles. ;)

Also out of curiosity, what is the average amount of armor that a large ship has?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ... "average" amount of armor for a "large" ship?

Oh man, is that ever a loaded question.

It is very easy to define what is considered a "large" ship in StarMade, but reaching a consensus on that definition is a bloody nightmare.

You'd be better off asking what the average is for a given block-dimension + mass rating. (EX: 140x50x115 @ 57000 mass = what Armor-HP is average)

For the most part, most of the various ships out there have "enough" armor to survive a half-minute against their intended opponent.
    (afterall, shields are the more effective damage mitigator)
    (EX: a guided missile frigate might have just enough armor to prevent "accidental" death by a fightercraft, and rely on speed, location, and Anti-missile systems to keep it alive, but a big-gun Dreadnought might be practically carved from a solid shape of armor, with some systems thrown in for the lulz.)

Some of us (looks at FlyingDebris [sorry if that's misspelt]) go absolutely nutso on armor. One of his (the Cherokee, I think) has/had an at the time ludicrous 100 block thick slab of armor for it's "nose", as it was intended to slug it out with other titan-grade opponents.

Others go more "what is armor?" and barely use any at all, preferring to rely entirely on shields to save them.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I think the ship that is being built should also be in consideration. its a UNSC planetary based space faring ship, so it would have less armour and relies on its speed.
    so I would say light amounts of armour and rely on shields and a good jump drive and as much dakka as possible.

so go for about 3m thick in places I would say. I am not good as I don't do pvp.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Oh honestly I was mostly referring to the numeric value that Starmade puts on it lol. I was asking because I was just generally surprised by how much this one has so far since it's not even close to finished yet.

I usually make the armor several layers thick in locations that I think are key but that is about it; usually 1m thick otherwise to maximize room for systems.

Reaction score
    The armor my ships usually end up at is around mass*200, but it's going to vary widely with hull type used, hull shape, and hull thickness.

I estimate your ship may be 150k mass when finished so that would put it at around 30 mil armor using this very rough calculation.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Conceptually a UNSC frigate is lightly armored (60cm) compared to the similarly sized UNSC destroyer (150 cm).

But honestly, armor wise do what feels best. You wanna focus on shields, do it that way and then back them up with effects to strengthen them. Same thing with armor.

Reaction score
    The question is "Do you want an armor-based vessel, a shield-based vessel, a standoff vessel, a highly maneuverable vessel?", or something else.
    It's up to you. You must decide the role your ship is intended to perform in. Will it be the fastest capital ever seen in StarMade? Will it tank like nobody's business? Will it focus on quick-regenerating shields to deal with multiple smaller opponents, or do you want more powerful yet slower shields to deal with the alpha strikes of your enemies' nukes? What armor scheme will you use? All-front? All-around protection? All-or-nothing protection of centrally located systems? (I'm thinking jumpdrive and power grid, mostly)

At the size you're going to reach, you'll be able to do most things without a problem. Just remember the golden rules: Armor and speed do not work together nicely.

Also, remember your turrets. Unless you really wanna die, remember those darn turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Sorry that it's been a few days. I had some family in town and some stuff to take care of at work so my time to work on the ship was pretty limited to maybe an hour a day. Didn't get much done but I did finish the ventral portion of the ship so I think i'd officially call the hull 50% complete now?

Anyways, the pictures: