Some more Intership Communications

Reaction score
    So i've been playing around in starmade for a while now and just started getting to get the hang of things. but as i was playing i thought of some things that i wish i had to make my life just a little bit easier.

1. Catapult/Acceleration Rails. I'm sure you all know exactly what i mean here, the new rails are great and i love them but even with the rails at 200% speed it's nothing like the OOMPH you should expect when lining up along the runway. I'm sure there are some programming issues that prevent a feature like this from being reasonable but still. I figured maybe it could work like the activation zone. where it detects is an entity is present, and then increases that entities velocity which ever direction you've oriented the block.

2. the ability to activate BOBBY AI's via the wireless module (or some other logic). i know there's a console command but i thought of this after getting an idea for a drone carrier. Maybe something with the new rails. but my first thought was "if there are enemies nearby the BOBBY's wouldn't go out the hanger that i've designed my carrier around, and possibly end up twisted and mangled in the hanger shooting around friendly fire" Obviously i haven't tested this with rails for anything like that but still there are also a few times there i wish i could remotely turn off Turrets/drones from a control room or bridge. which leads me to my next point

3. Some way to realign Turrets with out having to enter them and press "C". To my knowledge there's no way around this (in neither a ship or station). but the new update video inspired me to want to make a retracting turret. but once i started thinking about it i realized there's no way to realign the turret (or multiple turrets) to ensure it would fit back in it's little hidey-hole (unless there's a hot key or something i've missed x.x). so retracting it would literally get it stuck every time. but i thought of a rather simple solution to this one (given if a Bobby be activated via remotely somehow). in short when you deactivate a BOBBY AI while it's in "turret mode" then it's last command before going to sleep should be the "align" command. as if a player hit that magic "C" button. this would leave the turret in it's default state to allow for things such as transformations, retracting turrets, or just fixing ur ship up/station a but after a couple pirates foolishly crossed ur path. frankly i really love the idea of a massive ship undergoing some sort of transformation, make it look harmless are first but when it's in trouble then the big guns come out, literally!

Again i know that some of these things are just minor annoyances that i would like to see get dealt with. but i am also aware of the technological challenges and that things like this are rather low on the "Starmade To-Do List". but regardless i thought i'd share my thoughts

Of course i'm still learning the ins and outs of this game. so if i'm mistaken and there is a way to do these things i haven't tried yet please let me know! (the realigning turrets in particular if you know a good trick)

Reactions: Dellexe and Lecic

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    1) Yep that'd be cool.
    2) There's clever ways around that, I think it'd be interesting, but I don't feel like it's an excuse not to do things now. Also, you can turn turrets off using the structure tab. This'd only be useful for turning on/off specific turrets and drones.
    3) Go into the structure tab. You'd be surprised how useful it is.

Reaction score
    1) Yep that'd be cool.
    2) There's clever ways around that, I think it'd be interesting, but I don't feel like it's an excuse not to do things now. Also, you can turn turrets off using the structure tab. This'd only be useful for turning on/off specific turrets and drones.
    3) Go into the structure tab. You'd be surprised how useful it is.

Funny thing actually, i did some more searching on the web and just found out about the structure tab, so there solves me biggest problem of making sure all my turrets are on and functioning. but i still can't find the option to realign all the turrets.

wait... found it... it's under rail systems. although it would help if you could hot key something like that.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Funny thing actually, i did some more searching on the web and just found out about the structure tab, so there solves me biggest problem of making sure all my turrets are on and functioning. but i still can't find the option to realign all the turrets.
    I think it's in the rail control section, "reset all turrets" or something.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I want launch tubes so bad.
    THAT NEEDS TO BE POSSIBLE!!!

(obv. BSG nerd)

Reactions: Dellexe
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This is kind of do-able with current mechanics. You need to build a push beam aimed at the entity you want to launch. It's a little buggy, cause it causes twisting, but will be fine for drones I'm sure. I used beam + cannon + push effect for this, but it might work better with pulse.

And also, since you said catapult:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    How well would that work to launch a ship and
    A) Do no damage
    B) Shoot it in a straight line
    C)still do that

Reaction score
    This is kind of do-able with current mechanics. You need to build a push beam aimed at the entity you want to launch. It's a little buggy, cause it causes twisting, but will be fine for drones I'm sure. I used beam + cannon + push effect for this, but it might work better with pulse.

And also, since you said catapult:
    that's really interesting but does the push effect beam damage the ship?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    that's really interesting but does the push effect beam damage the ship?
    The system that I used for those videos did not do any damage to the ships.

If X-Number of Weapon Modules = Y-Damage + O-Effect

X-Number of Weapon Modules + X-Number of Effect modules = O-Damage + Y-Effect

X-Number of Weapon Modules + (X/2)-Number of Effect Modules = (Y/2)-Damage + (Y/2)-Effect

You can read more about setting up complex weapon systems here: https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Effects

Reaction score
    The system that I used for those videos did not do any damage to the ships.

If X-Number of Weapon Modules = Y-Damage + O-Effect

X-Number of Weapon Modules + X-Number of Effect modules = O-Damage + Y-Effect

X-Number of Weapon Modules + (X/2)-Number of Effect Modules = (Y/2)-Damage + (Y/2)-Effect

You can read more about setting up complex weapon systems here: https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Effects
    Kewl, thanks, now if only i could aim it right to make it not spin...

EDIT: I tried it out with an active AI module on the fighter, and the fighter started to return fire! it stopped when i exited the ship i was in

Last edited: