Read by Council Some Logic Stuff

Reaction score
    I've been busy making the working memory for a 16-bit computer, and it's extremely tedious. My two main suggestions are that a) a method to select multiple logic sources for one/multiple outputs (put forth some time ago, can't remember by whom) and b) an option to disable all of those logic-tube-things, since they cause a ridiculous amount of lag.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Personally I'd like to see those logic tube things hidden, except when explicitly turned on in build mode. I've also run into issues with not being able to direct the flow of a logic path, or logic blocks only updating when they get a change tick. I've also suggested logic blocks that could have more than one input and output (hit V multiple times and see the input number change).

There have been rumors about Schine intending to add a scriptable computer to the game that players can use on their ships. This would remove the need for a lot of these complex logic circuits.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the Q&A Schema said he would look into the logic pipe problem. Something about since logic doesn't rotate he could put a bit check in that space, but it would be an individual toggle per block. It is probably one of the million and three side projects on his to-do list. It's not exactly confirmed, tho I expect it to happen. But not until much later, probably in beta. (unless he ninjas it in)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    To get a working RAM-module or Hard-Drive for your computer, you need 2 blocks per bit + some control logic.
    Flip-Flop : Stores the information
    AND : required to toggle accessibility
    First, make 4,8 or 16 bit storage-rows. I recommend 8 bit per cell because then you can still copy+paste an 8x8 bit + control-logic chunk.

Then connect all storage-row outputs to an Activation-Block-row, which will relay the last input they received.
    Connect the row, bit and module controls to the AND of each cell.
    8*1 row/address-control for each byte storage.
    8*1 column/bitCell-control for each bit in a byte.
    1 module-control total.
    Note: Even if memory is 8bit, you can get 16 bit by accessing 2 modules in the same way.
    Now you can choose which bits to toggle, which address/byte to access and which copy+paste-able module to access.

You write by defining which bits to toggle (needs a read first).
    You read by toggling all bits twice, which causes the flip-flops to relay their output over the activation module row.
    BTW: A 9th bit which tells wether a storage row is inverted can cut read time into 1/2, but the control logic must account for it.
    Note: Reads and writes can alternate between modules to get more bandwidth.
    Note:
    A great way to reduce lag is to output the module-active control into the row-active and column-active ANDs.
    This alone is a good reason to use modules.
    Copy+paste-ability is the other reason for modules, reducing number of manual connections by a factor of 3.7.​

You could also use 16x16 cells or 8x8x8 cells with 16-bit per row controller and 16 column-controllers, but then you have to do 4x as much work - and in case of 8x8x8, it is difficult to fix errors after testing the function.​

The control-logic per module is:
    A row of Activation-Button relays (1 per column).
    A row of Column-Access ANDs (1 per column).
    A column of Row-Access ANDs (1 per row).
    A single Module-Access AND.
    The Chip-Controller controls the modules which controls the rows and columns which control the cells.
    The Chip-Controller is an interface + control logic.
    Interface:
    Activation modules to relay output/input.
    Activation modules to control address (row+module).
    Read/Write switch.
    Confirm-relay. Turn on to confirm/listen, it turns off when the task is finished.​
    Control Logic:
    Read requires 2 toggles of a row.
    Deactivate a module before switching address, else you may reset random stuff, depending on server-LAG.
    An exception is bulk-read inside a single module (faster, because it doesn't require 0.5s to deactivate a module explicit).
    Important note: the lower significant addresses activate a row, the more significant ones the module - it is split!
    Memory-Controller.
    Another controller? Row, Column, Module, Chip, Memory??? YES: Every controller hierarchy
    1. divides your effort by 4,
    2. reduces lag,
    3. and can introduce higher-level logic without increasing block-count per bit too much (above +30%)
    Memory-Controllers handle parallel reading/writing.
    * It can accept a 16-bit mask which defines which cells to read in order, subtracting work done by the CPU for calculating addresses. (every 4th address, 4 times OR every second address, 8 times, ETC)
    * It could take a memory-value as reference to another memory cell if told or check in 0.5 seconds if this speculative execution was a good one.
    * It can also have a cache for frequently accessed information (SM-Caches require 8 blocks per bit but are 2x as fast with reading/writing)
    * It can provide a RAM-server interface for wireless logic or logic via rails (exchange ship data?).

But no matter how much effort you put into it, you still need 2.3 blocks per bit with control logic and bit-storage.
    Which is very inefficient given that full blocks take 24 or soon maybe 32 bit RAM - meta-data not included.
    That is a factor of about 1:60, not to mention time spent on processing logic via the CPU.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've been busy making the working memory for a 16-bit computer, and it's extremely tedious. My two main suggestions are that a) a method to select multiple logic sources for one/multiple outputs (put forth some time ago, can't remember by whom) and b) an option to disable all of those logic-tube-things, since they cause a ridiculous amount of lag.
    I agree about the tubes, they are kinda annoying but they aren't the cause of lag.
    I thought it was the cause and I have also asked a lot about it. Your circuit is causing the lag, the intense and bigger your circuit, the more StarMade has to calculate. I rather have an option to turn off the wires in build mode, people use logic wires as decoration and keeping the wires out of sight is still a challenge. This way people with big projects won't be annoyed be wires and people with decoration wires keep their decoration.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I agree about the tubes, they are kinda annoying but they aren't the cause of lag.
    I thought it was the cause and I have also asked a lot about it. Your circuit is causing the lag, the intense and bigger your circuit, the more StarMade has to calculate. I rather have an option to turn off the wires in build mode, people use logic wires as decoration and keeping the wires out of sight is still a challenge. This way people with big projects won't be annoyed be wires and people with decoration wires keep their decoration.
    if i remember correctly in the recent Q&A schema said that logic pipes will be optional.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    As far as i am aware just like stated by Crimson above, the logic pipes were going to be dealt with. I would almost say like a rumor i heard that they are only going to be shown when in build mode as that is the only trully time you will need to see them.