Some Final Words on the Power Thread

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    th % reduction pentalties applied flat to your pool as sys hp% drops, even before overheat, which further nerf the utility of certain blocks :)
    Kinda matters as you're taking damage.
    I am not a moron. I understand how taking damage works in the current game.

I do not, however, understand how it pertains to this discussion. In the context of what is being discussed, explain why you needed to dig out pointless trivia.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I’ve been thinking on the power issues for a while now. A lot of it has already been said and unfortunately the thread was closed before I got my 2 cents in. So I’m going to put it here.

One thing that caught my eye in the original post was how balancing systems was not fun to do. Taking from one group to add to the other.
    No matter what power system is put into place one problem still exists. Lack of information.

I don’t mean information about power is not available but ease of use of this information.

I always get the feeling I have to start up a spreadsheet just to calculate all the power uses and how much capacity and regen is needed.

So what I propose is something like this:

This is a concept of how you could get a visual representation going of power use. You just take one look at it and you know if your ship lacks power or not. This concept could be used for any other resource used by the ship. Power or heat, doesn’t really matter.

This is just a rough idea but I think it has merit to make life easier for players.

This ties directly into what a number of players have mentioned before. An improved interface.

This should allow more information to be accessible more easily.

--

On a side note. It has been mentioned in this post but the Blood and Steel tournament featured some really inventive and complex PvP designs. And a lot of them did not follow the conventional build method mentioned. Last tournament was decided for example by just plan ship speed.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    On a side note. It has been mentioned in this post but the Blood and Steel tournament featured some really inventive and complex PvP designs. And a lot of them did not follow the conventional build method mentioned. Last tournament was decided for example by just plan ship speed.
    B&S 2 was decided by ship speed.

B&S 3 was decided by intentionally causing server lag. In the last fight, Raisinbat wasn't even facing the direction on his computer we saw him facing on-server

Reaction score
    [QUOTE="DrTarDIS, post: 331529, member: 367749"
    [/QUOTE]

it make some alien looking ships. id be scared of that :P

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    B&S 2 was decided by ship speed.

B&S 3 was decided by intentionally causing server lag. In the last fight, Raisinbat wasn't even facing the direction on his computer we saw him facing on-server
    A yes mixed those two up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

I do not, however, understand how it pertains to this discussion. In the context of what is being discussed, explain why you needed to dig out pointless trivia.
    He realized that he was wrong and resorted to moving goalpost logical fallacy.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

Pointing out that once to take damage that "matters" specific blocks become an even worse return-for-weight than otherwise.

He realized that he was wrong and resorted to moving goalpost logical fallacy.
    I realise There are a few ways of looking at things, and like to look at them all. I can see where you'd think "look at this thing too, you seem to be missing it in your stance" could be considered moving posts, but I don't really agree with you that it is. I'd invite you to read-back through and and reexamine things, but I'm just not sure you can get over what appears to be willful misinterpretation of what is said. From that perspective I am quite a bit less likely to invest time into (re)explaining, particularly to and for a hostile camp. "Here's the water you (donkeys), drink or don't, it matters not to me."

As an aside since we're sudden moving goalposts to official debate rhetoric, ~glad you've learned not to ad-hom~. Oh...wait. :giggle:

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I still maintain that rebalances of the current system (with input from the PvP community) would be far easier and take far less resources than to make this completely new thing.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    System layering is indeed an interesting concept, but I have my doubts that there are multiple different ways of doing it that are all equally viable. That's to me a lack of depth. I don't believe there's a reason why you would use thrusters as a buffer, and put shields in the most protected parts of your ships.
    Your choice in what system to put if you want the ship to perform well.

Yep that would be great, preferable ships that deviate from what I described (shield cap as first buffer, recharge as second, the rest is placed behind strong armor and/or in unlikely to hit positions).

Armor layering is something else though, and putting armor between systems isn't "System layering" to me. It's just creating additional protection on your ships on different levels. Which is more complicated of course than it sounds.

Agreed on the weapon layering.

As for the power aux, yes they were added to allow more complexity on larger ships (while also replacing docked reactors) where their placement and protection is crucial. I don't deny that and I'm happy that you think the same way, I was under the impression Power Aux wasn't liked at all because most didn't believe it added complexity.

I was referring to the lack of choice in this matter, see the first paragraph of my post. To me only particular system layer is viable, and anything else decreases performance. I can be wrong of course and I hope your examples will show that :)

As for what the new system would change:
    It would offer more ways for us to add different block types related to power, and how they would affect each other if all of that was put inside a small package -> A reactor that takes little space, but represents a large area on your ship.
    As our proposal was very vague on that, it's for now really just a promise that we're able to add more depth/choice on larger ships since you only need to adjust a small amount of blocks to change behavior.
    That probably doesn't explain it well but it's 2:30 AM here and I want to get some sleep. I'll come back to it later but felt like leaving this post to not keep you hanging for 12+ hours
    Yes, it's quite obvious you don't build for PvP, no offense. It's quite obvious ever since the updates usually roll out that they are not tested on a large enough scale and in combat situations, that most of the official testers don't indulge in PvP.
    I have to disagree, just like the people before me, that there is only one method to make a ship work in PvP. There are several roles ships can take and they WORK. Sometimes surprisingly. Especially, although not exclusively, in fleet battles (strictly talking about piloted ships in this case, fleet AI is far from a state where a responsible PvP player would want to rely on it handling valuable assets)
    During my time in the Odium Pact (I started with Eurocorp, moved to Vaygr briefly, then moved to CR before splitting off OP to form my own faction) I had my fair share of battles. We had differently constructed vessels for different roles. Fast, thinly armored agile and stealthy long-range guided missile boats, close range brawlers with high fire rate weapons and Ioned shielding, tanks with thick armor, defensive effects, stop effect turrets and power/shield drain systems to fly up close and personal and hold down the enemy while the others tear it apart - and I could go on. Some relied on speed and keeping a distance, some traded speed and alpha strikes for heavy defences, and some used quite unconventional weapons, hell, we even used drone swarms sometimes for decoy and anti-missile duty.
    And it doesn't even stop there. I have seen docked armor, I have seen docked modular force field plates that even rotated to distribute damage and mitigate focus fire. I have seen EMP based main weapons that entirely screwed me over despite everyone thinking EMP was not worth putting on a ship. (Still salty about the Deimos, Lecic )

So, if someone tells me there is little depth in performance shipbuilding in Starmade with the current systems, I have a hard time trying to restrain myself not to start calling names, because to me, that is a certificate that the person stating that, clearly hasn't spent enough time experimenting with different designs. If the game didn't have depth, the major PvP factions wouldn't require a whole R&D department to keep up.
    And one more thing: No matter how hard you try, there will always be designs that work better than others. Taking, for example, the automotive industry: there were plenty of attempts to build 3 wheeled cars, but they never got popular. There were some designs using a Wankel engine instead of a conventional piston engine, but that's a small niche still. There are 16 piston engines used in supercars, but those are more rich boys' toys, than practical day-to-day vehicles. There are dozens of concepts that remain only a curiosity and never see practical use. It's just how it is. It's not a bad thing, it's the nature of the trade.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    System layering is indeed an interesting concept, but I have my doubts that there are multiple different ways of doing it that are all equally viable. That's to me a lack of depth. I don't believe there's a reason why you would use thrusters as a buffer, and put shields in the most protected parts of your ships.
    I have done exactly that. I built a ship not all that long ago using nested, docked components, that had docked generator/shield systems nested deep inside the ship. The docked generators were used to power turrets, the shields ensured that there would be shield generation going constantly even if the main hull's shield systems had failed. That ship also had an enormous quantity of thrusters for it's size and I used a large quantity of them to create additional spacing between the internally docked shield components and the exterior (docked) armored shell.

There is a wealth of design strategy available in the existing systems. The fact that most people don't bother is not evidence that there isn't enough depth, but that the depth of the system is sufficiently complex as to elude most people.

Your previous statement in the original thread; "To me both examples show a lack of depth", left me jaw agape at the screen. A "lack of depth" would have been if there was 'no' strategy involved in system placement. The fact that there was a logic in how systems were placed does not mean that systems have to be gutted so that people can put them in, in whatever order they want and have equal results.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't know who's idea it was internally, but honestly I look forward to the amount of abuse and exploits I plan on publicly releasing as a result of heat boxes alone and embarrassing them with :)
    So you find it embarassing, if a new feature in an alpha game isn't perfect right from the start?

I know which one I would rather have on board my ship.

One works afterwards. The other doesn't.
    I wouldn't want to have so much extra mass on my ship. Also, the second reactor doesn't really look good. It has way more blocks left, but seems to be split in several parts, which kills efficiency.

With internal armor exploding reactors are bigger and therefore easier to hit. Additionally, they are more likely to be split in several groups. So it isn't as easy as thinking out a good layout, that solves one problem, since that will cause other problems. Actually, the design of exploding reactors has so many variables, that one can't get far with thinking. Developing them is rather guessing what could work, and a lot of testing. And due to the randomness of the explosions, a single test isn't enough. Each design has to be tested many times and the results averaged. Of course testing designs is an integral part of ship development, but for exploding reactors - if done thouroughly - the combinatoric explosion and randomness makes this extremely tedious. And when a balance change comes, you have to start over. Thus I decided to wait for the first few balance passes, before investing more time messing around with them. But if other people think the same way, that could explain the lack of feedback, which in turn prevents rebalancing.

The best protection for exploding reactors (besides burying them deep inside a mega-titan) seems to be internally docked, individually shielded quadruple armor. So they encourage exactly what they were intended to prevent - internally docked stuff, that causes severe performance problems when undocked.

The net result is a ship that resembles a chandelier, as you may have guessed, with the larger and more important systems near the back, away from fire, and a myriad of smaller systems all built separately and away from each other.
    Why does it have to be a chandelier? You could, for example, stack multiple chandeliers along the Z-axis to create a rather lengthy shape, which you seem to like. This would even offer better protection for the parts in the aft section of such a ship. Actually, a chandelier unnecessarily increases the ship profile. It should be possible to create almost arbitrary shapes by combining heatboxes of different sizes.

But now consider if this ship's systems were replaced with the suggestion we are discussing. He could place his small reactors anywhere he wants, and string his systems through the smaller areas such as those very thin wing endings on the sides. The majority of his ship would now be filler, and a similar amount of damage could do nearly nothing to him. This concept is specifically what we're elaborating on - ships could become unreasonably strong with the right amount of effort, because there is so much effectively wasted mass.
    Unreasonably strong compared to what? Everyone could easily build ships like that.
    [doublepost=1487603437,1487603220][/doublepost]
    I built a ship not all that long ago using nested, docked components, that had docked generator/shield systems nested deep inside the ship.
    You basically created a performance nightmare. I respect your creativity, but killing such designs seems a good thing to me.

Reactions: kurosawa

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, the heatbox part is a embarrassment and whoever suggested it should feel ashamed.

Reaction score
    Yes, it's quite obvious you don't build for PvP, no offense. It's quite obvious ever since the updates usually roll out that they are not tested on a large enough scale and in combat situations, that most of the official testers don't indulge in PvP.
    I have to disagree, just like the people before me, that there is only one method to make a ship work in PvP. There are several roles ships can take and they WORK. Sometimes surprisingly. Especially, although not exclusively, in fleet battles (strictly talking about piloted ships in this case, fleet AI is far from a state where a responsible PvP player would want to rely on it handling valuable assets)
    During my time in the Odium Pact (I started with Eurocorp, moved to Vaygr briefly, then moved to CR before splitting off OP to form my own faction) I had my fair share of battles. We had differently constructed vessels for different roles. Fast, thinly armored agile and stealthy long-range guided missile boats, close range brawlers with high fire rate weapons and Ioned shielding, tanks with thick armor, defensive effects, stop effect turrets and power/shield drain systems to fly up close and personal and hold down the enemy while the others tear it apart - and I could go on. Some relied on speed and keeping a distance, some traded speed and alpha strikes for heavy defences, and some used quite unconventional weapons, hell, we even used drone swarms sometimes for decoy and anti-missile duty.
    And it doesn't even stop there. I have seen docked armor, I have seen docked modular force field plates that even rotated to distribute damage and mitigate focus fire. I have seen EMP based main weapons that entirely screwed me over despite everyone thinking EMP was not worth putting on a ship. (Still salty about the Deimos, Lecic )

So, if someone tells me there is little depth in performance shipbuilding in Starmade with the current systems, I have a hard time trying to restrain myself not to start calling names, because to me, that is a certificate that the person stating that, clearly hasn't spent enough time experimenting with different designs. If the game didn't have depth, the major PvP factions wouldn't require a whole R&D department to keep up.
    And one more thing: No matter how hard you try, there will always be designs that work better than others. Taking, for example, the automotive industry: there were plenty of attempts to build 3 wheeled cars, but they never got popular. There were some designs using a Wankel engine instead of a conventional piston engine, but that's a small niche still. There are 16 piston engines used in supercars, but those are more rich boys' toys, than practical day-to-day vehicles. There are dozens of concepts that remain only a curiosity and never see practical use. It's just how it is. It's not a bad thing, it's the nature of the trade.
    I think most people ignore it because to most people PvP outside opium pact is far and few in between. People may make PvP ships but then weaken them a bit for casual flying appeal or to hit that builders creativity bonerUnless they are in the outspoken minority to be involved with a major faction. Multiplayer PvP beyond 2 people butting heads is a subgame to the real game. And not very common for players who arnt super involved with the community. The Devs should take note how important PvP is, fix faction system. Add in recruitment want add. Resumes. And move players in that direction.

I know there is a playerbase rift between minecrafters, and eve players, that almost leads to partisan politics type of lines. And that line needs to go. The power overhaul won't do it in afraid

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    You basically created a performance nightmare. I respect your creativity, but killing such designs seems a good thing to me.
    It was tested to destruction and created absolutely zero issues at least in SP. The trick is that all the docking points for the ship were contiguous and placed deep in the heart of the ship's highly protected bridge/CIC. Those docking points were actually more highly protected than the ship's computer systems. By the time damage was being inflicted on that section of the ship, the ship's core was already overheating. At no point did any docked sections come undone.

Yes, ships that use lots of internal docks that do not do the same thing present large performance issues when those docked sections break loose from combat damage. The same however goes for people who use rail elevators, sliding doors, etc.. There is absolutely zero difference in the performance issues between them of docked internals. There are ways to deal with such docked entities coming loose in combat and creating massive problems, and they need to be implemented, regardless if they toss the whole build system into the randomizer.

It is a virtual certainty that if they throw the baby out with the bathwater so as to 'fix' the power system, there will be just as many ways to use it (or 'abuse' it if you think building for effectiveness is somehow abuse) as there are now. To create a system in which the 'only' way to use it is to just plop down the boxes and do some addition and subtraction is to create a supremely uninteresting system that appeals only to those who prefer to put no thought into their systems. I want a system that takes me a year or two to master, I want skill to matter in ship construction, I want there to be a significant qualitative difference in the combat power of a ship that was built willy nilly and one whose designer has toiled sweat over.

The proposed system change is either a HUGE step backwards in this regard, or utterly unnecessary in my opinion.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, ships that use lots of internal docks that do not do the same thing present large performance issues when those docked sections break loose from combat damage. The same however goes for people who use rail elevators, sliding doors, etc.. There is absolutely zero difference in the performance issues between them of docked internals.
    Moving ship parts will be treated differently in the future, so there is a significant difference.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I wouldn't want to have so much extra mass on my ship. Also, the second reactor doesn't really look good. It has way more blocks left, but seems to be split in several parts, which kills efficiency.
    Yes, the second reactor has a few parts split off, but it's still mostly in a few large groups. Compare them. I guarantee you that a design like this second one is drastically more efficient after taking damage than an unarmored one.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, the second reactor has a few parts split off, but it's still mostly in a few large groups. Compare them. I guarantee you that a design like this second one is drastically more efficient after taking damage than an unarmored one.

Doesn't look like that's more than 25% of the original power production. For about the same mass I could build two reactors without internal armor.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Doesn't look like that's more than 25% of the original power production. For about the same mass I could build two reactors without internal armor.
    Let's test it.

Here's our two sets of reactors. 2000 mass for each of them- one is a pair of unarmored, 10x10x100 (10k) auxiliaries with a sheet of armor between them to prevent them from damaging eachother. The other is a single 10k (+ or - a few hundred from the connecting ribs) with a single armor layer every 2 aux layers.

What happens when I poke the first with a laser pistol?

The pair of unarmored auxes went from 20k blocks to just under 3.7k blocks. Power gen went from 3.8mil to 127k, which is about 3.3% of the original power generation.

How did the armored aux hold up?

The armored aux went from slightly over 10k aux to just under 6.1k blocks. Power gen went from just under 2mil to slightly over 900k, or 45% of its original power generation.

You would need 7 unarmored auxiliary reactors to match the after-damage power generation of a single armored aux.

I feel this conclusively proves that unarmored auxiliaries are a terrible idea outside of ships that absolutely need to save space or extreme glass cannons, and are well worth the weight.