[Solved]Dedicated Server connection issue

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been trying to set up a dedicated server on a Linux box on my LAN just for private use in the house. The problem is I can't get the client to connect. I used DoomSlider's update script to update the game install then I run the dedicated server script. If I look at netstat you can see that java is listening on port 4242 and if I run a port scan from my other computer you can see that the port is open and filtered. The problem is that when ever I run the client and try to connect to the server it looks like it connects then errors out when trying to establish the socket connection. I have updated java to the latest version and I am at a loss as to what to do next.
    I have java 1.8.0_51, am running Debian wheezy and the client is on Ubuntu 14.04.

[CLIENT] Client State and Controller successfully created
    [CLIENT] trying to connect to 192.168.30.30:4242
    Found Credentials
    Decrypted StarMade credentials ... logging in to star-made.org
    [API-LOGIN] REQUESTING OWN INFO
    [API-LOGIN] REQUESTING AUTH TOKEN TO AUTHORIZE ON SERVER
    [OAuth2] Requesting Auth Token https://registry.star-made.org/api/v1/users/login_request.json
    [OAuth2] server_auth token aquired
    logging in to star-made.org successfull.
    [CLIENT] establishing new socket connection to 192.168.30.30:4242
    [CLIENT] Trying TCP...
    [CLIENT] TCP connection failed: ConnectException; Connection timed out
    [CLIENT] Trying UDP...
    java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Failed to connect!
    at org.schema.schine.network.client.ClientToServerConnection.connect(SourceFile:161)
    at org.schema.schine.network.client.ClientController.connect(SourceFile:113)
    at obfuscated.C.a(SourceFile:772)
    at obfuscated.Kr.run(SourceFile:81)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
    [LookAndFeel] NATIVE LF com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
    [ERROR] Not applying lok and feel as not all can guarantee all decoration working, resulting in a startup crash

p.s. can you run the client from terminal with the -client argument without harm.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Does it work fine without doomsiders thingy? not sure, but he is adding in some networked stuff iirc, and they may be interfering :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am running doomsiders old version (17.1 lite or something) the only things i had to do to make it work was install java and run the start script. "./starmade/starmaded.sh start"

what does your server.config look like? is it still set to 4242?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am starting to suspect that it is something with the OS. I was running a Minecraft server on the computer as well but that has started giving the same problem now and it has persisted through a java update.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Got it to work. There was a config for open ports that I didn't know about. So I just spent two days trying to fix a problem that was caused by I firewall. I can't believe it.