[Solved]Dedicated Server connection issue

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been trying to set up a dedicated server on a Linux box on my LAN just for private use in the house. The problem is I can't get the client to connect. I used DoomSlider's update script to update the game install then I run the dedicated server script. If I look at netstat you can see that java is listening on port 4242 and if I run a port scan from my other computer you can see that the port is open and filtered. The problem is that when ever I run the client and try to connect to the server it looks like it connects then errors out when trying to establish the socket connection. I have updated java to the latest version and I am at a loss as to what to do next.
    I have java 1.8.0_51, am running Debian wheezy and the client is on Ubuntu 14.04.

[CLIENT] Client State and Controller successfully created
    [CLIENT] trying to connect to 192.168.30.30:4242
    Found Credentials
    Decrypted StarMade credentials ... logging in to star-made.org
    [API-LOGIN] REQUESTING OWN INFO
    [API-LOGIN] REQUESTING AUTH TOKEN TO AUTHORIZE ON SERVER
    [OAuth2] Requesting Auth Token https://registry.star-made.org/api/v1/users/login_request.json
    [OAuth2] server_auth token aquired
    logging in to star-made.org successfull.
    [CLIENT] establishing new socket connection to 192.168.30.30:4242
    [CLIENT] Trying TCP...
    [CLIENT] TCP connection failed: ConnectException; Connection timed out
    [CLIENT] Trying UDP...
    java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Failed to connect!
    at org.schema.schine.network.client.ClientToServerConnection.connect(SourceFile:161)
    at org.schema.schine.network.client.ClientController.connect(SourceFile:113)
    at obfuscated.C.a(SourceFile:772)
    at obfuscated.Kr.run(SourceFile:81)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
    [LookAndFeel] NATIVE LF com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
    [ERROR] Not applying lok and feel as not all can guarantee all decoration working, resulting in a startup crash

p.s. can you run the client from terminal with the -client argument without harm.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Does it work fine without doomsiders thingy? not sure, but he is adding in some networked stuff iirc, and they may be interfering :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am running doomsiders old version (17.1 lite or something) the only things i had to do to make it work was install java and run the start script. "./starmade/starmaded.sh start"

what does your server.config look like? is it still set to 4242?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am starting to suspect that it is something with the OS. I was running a Minecraft server on the computer as well but that has started giving the same problem now and it has persisted through a java update.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Got it to work. There was a config for open ports that I didn't know about. So I just spent two days trying to fix a problem that was caused by I firewall. I can't believe it.