[SOLVED] Cannot Hide HUD/GUI

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    It used to be TAB+G and then became F1+G but for some reason my laptop doesn't like the combination.

Is there a way of changing this in the config or is it hard coded? It may be because I have to press the "fn" key to allow me to access F1-12. Everything else seems to be fine but I'm not using a combination of keys with a function key.

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yes, you can rebind the keys for Radial Menu and Server Info / Player List in the Keyboard options.

P.S. Many laptops also have setting to change the default behavior of the function keys.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    Yes, you can rebind the keys for Radial Menu and Server Info / Player List in the Keyboard options.

P.S. Many laptops also have setting to change the default behavior of the function keys.
    I have already remapped the Player List to the "grave" key and asking/looking around it seems to be F1+G to hide the HUD. This combination either brought up the weapons menu (or message to say it wasn't available) OR the Windows Help page! Making me think that there was some incompatibly with the key combination.

As I don't use the Windows Help page I have found a way to disable this.

I can confirm using other methods that the F1 key works in other programs.

The "fn" key works with the other function keys allowing me for example to mute my sound (F6 without the fn key) or take a screenshot without the GUI (F6 with the fn key) also proving that the HUD wasn't somehow fixed.

I temporarily changed the weapons menu key to something else just in case it was this that was the issue too!

So, is there any other way of remapping the key combination to hide the HUD or is this seriously hard coded? I'd report this as a bug but it seems specific to my laptop so could be hard to replicate. Maybe just a request to make this changeable if it is not already (though I cannot find F1 listed in the keyboard.cfg file for it to be in there) in an interim patch.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's whatever key you mapped to "Server Info / Player List", so in your case, Grave+G.

Also, to clarify my comment about function key behavior; many laptops have a setting in the BIOS to invert the way the fn key works. At some point laptop makers decided to reverse the default of pressing the fn key to get the media/special keys, so now you have to press it to get the regular F-keys.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    Well, on my old laptop in v0.9xxx I would press fn+F1+G to switch the HUD/GUI on/off neither that or just F1+G works.

All of the other functions mapped to a single Function key like mail and screenshots all work fine. I'm just having trouble with being able to switch the HUD on or off. Even remapping the Radial Menu and Weapons menu to other keys does little to help either.

Being able to map F1+G to CTRL+G or CTRL+H would be useful but there seems to be no option for it so I guess it is hard coded. I may submit a bug report in order for this to be added to the key bindings in a future patch.

I will look in my bios to see if I can switch having to use the fn key to use the function keys as it will be more convenient for me that way. I doubt it will fix my problem however though it will be worth a look.

SmilingDemon

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.
    The command for hiding the GUI is <WhateverKeyIsMappedtoServerInfo/Playerlist>+G
    So if you have "Server Info/Playerlist" mapped to GRAVE, then to hide the GUI, press GRAVE+G.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.
    The command for hiding the GUI is <WhateverKeyIsMappedtoServerInfo/Playerlist>+G
    So if you have "Server Info/Playerlist" mapped to GRAVE, then to hide the GUI, press GRAVE+G.
    Yes, I get it now! *facepalm*

Thanks for your help and the suggestion to switch the operation of the fn key too! I now have function keys that work like function keys now so win/win situation. :))