Socket Exception Error

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am getting this error on startup. It only happens when I change my internet connection from plugged in to wi-fi. The game is unable to start single or multi-player. There is only one option for Host:Port; localhost:4242, and I don't see anything in the advanced setting for changing connection settings. Does anyone know how to remove this error?
    Thanks!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwxqis25hfafex2/Error1.jpg

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hi, this error can be caused by java using an Ipv6 stack for some reason. You would have to start the game manually with

java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true Client.mainjava -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx1024m -Xms512m -jar StarMade.jar -force

Another solution could be:
    Make sure you didn\'t deny the application network access when Windows\' Firewall asked you for permission.
    If you did, you can change the settings in the control panel.

I hope this helps,
    - schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s not a firewall problem. Tried running with firewall disabled, and got the same results.
    Tried forcing java to use Ipv4 Stack both by starting with the code provided, and by forcing it in the Java Control Panel, but neither one seems to work. Maybe it just doesn\'t like my wireless adapter. It seems odd though that it won\'t do single player.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Singleplayer is at the moment just local multiplayer. I have no idea hy the java network interface would not like a counterpart from the same machine.

When exactly is this error happening? when you click on \"ok\"?

Here is another possible solution I found while searching for this (It seems indeed to be a network card problem):
    from http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/382610/924701/

\"I figured out the problem. Something happened to my networks card (not exactly sure what though), but I went to my command prompt, typed in \"netsh winsock reset\", and restarted my computer. After this, [it worked]\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same issue, and that above link did not help. However, I play on a friends server via Hamachi. It seems sporadic. I can connect and at other times cannot. It is NOT dependant on who is playing, because I\'ve cross referenced all the failures with all who are playing. There is no link here except the same error message.

When I open it, sometimes straight out of the gate I get socket exception. Other times I manage to spawn, before it says \" Server Doesn\'t Answer \"! and then I get kicked off for Socket exception. A noticable thing is that my ping skyrockets to 1000+. However, although the game says the ping is 1000+, with a CMD prompt open automatically pinging my friends IP ( IP of the server ) I\'m getting 50.

What\'s this issue caused by and how can I fix it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you get \"Socket Exception\" error followed by the address family reason right out of the gate when clicking on the launcher:

• Open your Windows Menu
    • Control Panel
    • Programs and Features
    • Right-Click on \"RelevantKnowledge\"
    • Remove

That solved everything for me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Delete the player\'s file from the server. Solves the issue. It\'s a StarMade thing, after elimating firewall, ports, sockets, and corrupted files.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, it\'s been happening over and over for me, and deleting the player profile consistently fixes it.

Plus, if it\'s only StarMade that\'s getting issues, I don\'t know how winsock reset would help - that might help if I didn\'t have anything else working, but this is pretty much a StarMade issue, and for me it\'s only happened since the \"connection improvement\" update. I don\'t think it improved it.