So, we cannot delete our own community content now?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    If you make any content available on or through our Game, you must give us permission to use, copy, modify and adapt that content. This permission must be irrevocable, and you must also let us permit other people to use, copy, modify and adapt your content. If you don‘t want to give us this permission, do not make content available on or through our Game. Please think carefully before you make any content available, because it will be made public and might even be used by other people in a way you don‘t like.
    from terms and conditions. "use" includes the permanent storage i would guess

Reaction score
    hahahaha. what does "make content available" mean? that could mean several things, considering they said through the game.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    from terms and conditions. "use" includes the permanent storage i would guess
    since when has that been there?
    edit: i ask because it contravenes copyright law (which creations in starmade are covered by as it qualifies as a 3d design tool). any such agreement cannot be applied to uploads retroactively without an actual written contract and it in no way references the dock.
    as to in game uploads, it still contravenes copyright, and would again require a direct contract for schine to be legally allowed to utilise any user made materials directly, or as a derivative as Starmade qualifies as a profiteering venture. "fair use" terms also do not apply (other, perhaps, than for purely promotional material).
    players of course submit to the idea other people will be able to utlise their designs through server uploads (in game), but that is simply a part of the gameplay.

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    since when has that been there?
    edit: i ask because it contravenes copyright law (which creations in starmade are covered). any such agreement cannot be appllied retroactively without an actual written contract and it in no way references the dock.
    Always. Gravypod complained about the wording back when SMD was much younger, and he was worried schine would be able to claim his tools as their own.

Reactions: Dire Venom

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Always. Gravypod complained about the wording back when SMD was much younger, and he was worried schine would be able to claim his tools as their own.
    Then I'll simply repeat it contravenes copyright law - something that Schine need to adress (no EULA can rip your ownership or rights away from you).

Edit: also thanks for filling me in in the timescale.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Then I'll simply repeat it contravenes copyright law - something that Schine need to adress (no EULA can rip your ownership or rights away from you).

Edit: also thanks for filling me in in the timescale.
    They're not taking copyright ownership. They're just protecting themselves.

You're agreeing to give them the right to use content you're making publicly available. For the type of game, it makes sense to me.

Reactions: Dire Venom

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Gravypod complained about the wording back when SMD was much younger, and he was worried schine would be able to claim his tools as their own.
    Wait... SMD has only just become officially part of Schine. Therefore the original quote was always wrong and had no bearing on the game. If its still there, it needs to be fixed pronto!
    [doublepost=1519505519,1519505445][/doublepost]
    They're not taking copyright ownership. They're just protecting themselves.

You're agreeing to give them the right to use content you're making publicly available. For the type of game, it makes sense to me.
    Yet it still contravenes copyright law (please see my extended post above) as Starmade qualifies as a 3d design tool as much as a game.

Edit: I think I'll compose an email to Schine to get them to clarify the wording / matter / update etc

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Wait, the line you're referencing is in the games EULA, and doesn't pertain to SMD.

SMD has a different, but similar line

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Schine, feel free to use my version as a base (will need a spellcheck and grammar tidy up etc).

"If you make any content available on or through our Game, you must give us permission to use, copy, modify and adapt that content. This permission must be irrevocable, and you must also let us permit other people to use, copy, modify and adapt your content. If you don‘t want to give us this permission, do not make content available on or through our Game. Please think carefully before you make any content available, because it will be made public and might even be used by other people in a way you don‘t like."

So assuming this is just in regards to CC uploads on the dock, to be viable, it should read more like:

"By submitting / uploading designs to the community content section of StarmadeDock (insert legal ownership here), you agree that other players may download them for Starmade singleplayer use, and / or re-upload to servers for Starmade multiplayer use.
    Please note that before you agree, any such submissions may be edited, modified and and then submitted to the community content section of StarmadeDock (again insert legal ownership here) by other players as seperate entities.
    By submitting / uploading here you grant Schine GMBH (any other relevant legal info here) or Schine GMBH (any other relevant legal info here) operating as StarmadeDock the right to utilise your works for promotional material without compensation.
    Schine GMBH (any other relevant legal info here) will not accept responsibility for misuse or material gain by any third parties outside of Starmade dock, and by submitting / uploading your designs here, you recognise that."

- something along those lines would be far clearer.

Wait, the line you're referencing is in the games EULA, and doesn't pertain to SMD.

SMD has a different, but similar line
    Then the initial post I replied to isnt entirely relevent to this discussion, but yours is.
    Still, the in game EULA needs some clearing up / additonal info to work. Well, thats me - ive other contracts to write tonight! ;)

Edit: end of the day, people should be allowed to delete / remove from public view, their CC uploads if they wish though - im sure everybody can agree on that, regardless of whether they agree with my other posts regarding the OPs issue.

Reactions: Az14el

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    ...Huh.

Here I was thinking things couldn't be broken more than they already have been, but boom. Do we have an ETA on Steam Workshop support?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well, to be honest, I do not believe we can truly delete it. It just gets deleted on the front end, i.e, on the site. Surely all deleted content must be getting stored somewhere out of sight, taking into account the fact they have the right to do that.

(I may be wrong lol)

Last edited:

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, to be honest, I do not believe we can truly delete it. It just gets deleted on the front end, I.e, on the site. Surely all deleted content must be getting stored somewhere out of sight, taking into account the fact that they have the right to do that....​

(I may be wrong lol)
    Typically what is meant by "deleted" is that it is removed from public view, but a private copy is kept. There are various reasons for this, but typically it's a good idea to keep a record of "what happened." If a law was broken, service providers are required to keep the "evidence." Or if people just go absolutely crazy and start making things up pointing fingers all over the place, then Schine can then have proof of what "actually happened." Especially when some sort of controversy has occurred, it's usually important to maintain the record, even if the public can no longer view it. Unless keeping it would break a law or something.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Well, to be honest, I do not believe we can truly delete it. It just gets deleted on the front end, I.e, on the site. Surely all deleted content must be getting stored somewhere out of sight, taking into account the fact that they have the right to do that....​

(I may be wrong lol)
    Typically what is meant by "deleted" is that it is removed from public view, but a private copy is kept. There are various reasons for this, but typically it's a good idea to keep a record of "what happened." If a law was broken, service providers are required to keep the "evidence." Or if people just go absolutely crazy and start making things up pointing fingers all over the place, then Schine can then have proof of what "actually happened." Especially when some sort of controversy has occurred, it's usually important to maintain the record, even if the public can no longer view it. Unless keeping it would break a law or something.
    This is correct. If you wish to have your content permanently removed from the site, you can send us a message (as some have done over the years).

Reactions: Benevolent27