SMedit

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Is there another application like Smedit that is still in development? I want to upload a 3d model of this sweg looking ship that I have but Smedit hasn't been updated in apparently two years and doesn't work anymore. Anyone know of a thing like it that works?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is there another application like Smedit that is still in development? I want to upload a 3d model of this sweg looking ship that I have but Smedit hasn't been updated in apparently two years and doesn't work anymore. Anyone know of a thing like it that works?
    Smedit still works.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    At this point it is learn how to make it yourself or to find someone and get them to learn how to make it themselves. It is not something provided by schine, but made by someone for the community if I recall correctly.

Reaction score
    is smedit still as important now that we have creative mode and shipyards?
    my main issue has been hollowing out a ship's crevices when I realize I need to change up the power/shields/weapons.
    I wish the advanced build helper let me do like remove all blocks but white hull or some whatever I've used for that specific build

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think one smedit version crashes because of texture-folders. 2 years ago SM had only 1 set of textures.
    Other files have their structures updated too.

Reaction score
    is smedit still as important now that we have creative mode and shipyards?
    Absolutely so.

I've personally used it a few times both before and after the shipyard update to import a hull I made in a "proper" 3-D modelling program, into StarMade.

To the best of my knowledge, that is mostly what it gets used for, importing a hull-shape. I've never had the need to do anything else with it.

(that modelling program I mentioned? I can make a semi-complex hullshape in it in about an hour. Doing that entirely within StarMade would take me so long I'd resort to paying someone else to do it.)

SMedit allso lets me dick around with what Size I want that hullshape to be.

I've used the same shape for a 90-meter corvette, and a 301 meter cruiser. (the 90 was intentionally small, quicker to experiment with)
    (the cruiser is woefully incomplete, as it's just soooooo big, that I keep running out of ideas for the interior.)

I wish the advanced build helper let me do like remove all blocks but white hull or some whatever I've used for that specific build
    I'll presume you know that the advanced build mode can allow you to remove any specific block type in massive batches. I normally use that feature to strip the power-systems out of ships I'm re-fitting. (this quickly tells me how many blocks were used, and how horrid the power system was laid out.{to be fair, most of the ones I do this to were built years ago, Power has been changed more than a few times since then})

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've used the same shape for a 90-meter corvette, and a 301 meter cruiser. (the 90 was intentionally small, quicker to experiment with)
    (the cruiser is woefully incomplete, as it's just soooooo big, that I keep running out of ideas for the interior.)
    Go to a search engine and enter "room" :) room - Ixquick Bild Suchen
    Search for layouts of aircraft carriers, ships in general and buildings.

I like the idea of having the same shape built once for differently sized ships, especially if you can reduce shapes to be less detailed on smaller ships.​

Reaction score
    Absolutely so.

I'll presume you know that the advanced build mode can allow you to remove any specific block type in massive batches. I normally use that feature to strip the power-systems out of ships I'm re-fitting. (this quickly tells me how many blocks were used, and how horrid the power system was laid out.{to be fair, most of the ones I do this to were built years ago, Power has been changed more than a few times since then})
    thats just it! ONE TYPE OF BLOCK. removed en mass. at one time. But I have to remove every. single. non hull block.
    I have to remove every block that is not hull. sometimes it is to try different power arrangements, sometimes it is to make the ship cheaper when I import it into a server. Obviously, now I just make a ship that is hollow, save it, and then fill it. but I have a few ships I want to empty out from before I figured that obvious step out.

I don't want to spam click all over my ship for the 2 different power blocks the 2 different shield blocks then my missile blocks then my beam blocks then my cargo blocks. all of that switching and clicking! going over the same spot of the ship with 5 different build helper replace block x's because then I don't have to worry about accidentally making holes in my ship. (I should mention that spam clicking is physically painful for me, because of inflammation, so any trick I can find to click less I am grateful for) and the build helper is a bit gltichy when I want to remove blocks, like it will remove blocks in the wrong direction (which is fine when I want to remove them all, but makes it harder to make sure I got all of them) edit: by wrong direction I mean the area that build helper highlights is not the area that gets removed

I would much rather remove every. single. block. that is not white hull. like build helper -> replace block shield capacitor with what block is in my hand, but there isnt anything in my hand, so it removes all the shield capacitors is how it works now

what would be better is build helper -> replace all blocks BUT "white hull selected from dropdown" with block in my hand but my hand is empty, there for everything but the hull is cleared out

that is what I thought smedit did, that you can just replace blocks en mass with one input. but people say it doesn't work anymore. I am hoping that the starmade creative build helper will evolve to the point that smedit being outdated isn't an issue. or that the needed aspects can be modded into the game like Minecraft's worldedit