SMEdit currently working for anyone? (Aug 2016)

Reaction score
    Is anyone currently successfully using SMEdit?

I see it was updated just a month or two ago, but when I try t ouse it ist shows the options screen but the program proper won't run - it just fails silently.

The situation is the same for both my Linux machine at home and my work Win7 machine.

I want to know if it's just me, or everyone....

Reactions: Shanyu
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've had no trouble with it, except it won't load chunk32 ships. However, I'm given to understand that I'm in the minority and that most people do not have a working copy of SMEdit. Past that, I can't really help with troubleshooting or resolving the issue without more information.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When I tried SMEdit it lagged for big ships and for small I don't really need it
    It cannot edit logic which is my current major interestt

Reaction score
    I've had no trouble with it, except it won't load chunk32 ships. However, I'm given to understand that I'm in the minority and that most people do not have a working copy of SMEdit. Past that, I can't really help with troubleshooting or resolving the issue without more information.
    So it currently works for you? You use the latest version?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    You need to use an older version of starmade.

Use this one: http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20151122_012619.zip

Now the install can be kind of picky.

First delete all the SMEdit crap you have in your starmade installs. If you have multiple SMEdit installs it can spaz out.

Create a new folder named STARMADE and plop it in your C: directory or something. Unzip the files into that folder. Make sure you unzip them correctly. When you open the folder you should see all the other folders and server files.

IF you only see one folder that that says "starmade version blah blah" you need to copy all those files from that folder and paste them directly into the STARMADE folder you created. SO when you open the starmade folder you should see the server files, blueprint folder etc.

NOW download SMEdit. Unzip it, open the folder and copy and paste the SMEdit files into the STARMADE folder you created.

Run the SMEdit.jar that is now in your STARMADE folder. It should take you to the SMEdit launch screen. From here you need to manually put in the directory your new STARMADE folder is in. So "C:\STARMADE" or where ever you put it. Make sure to assign it at lest 4GB of ram.

Hit the apply button and hit starts. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Use this one: http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20151122_012619/

First delete all the SMEdit crap you have in your starmade installs. If you have multiple SMEdit installs it can spaz out.

Create a new folder named STARMADE and plop it in your C: directory or something. Unzip the files into that folder. Make sure you unzip them correctly. When you open the folder you should see all the other folders and server files.

IF you only see one folder that that says "starmade version blah blah" you need to copy all those files from that folder and paste them directly into the STARMADE folder you created. SO when you open the starmade folder you should see the server files, blueprint folder etc.

NOW download SMEdit. Unzip it, open the folder and copy and paste the SMEdit files into the STARMADE folder you created.

Run the SMEdit.jar that is now in your STARMADE folder. It should take you to the SMEdit launch screen. From here you need to manually put in the directory your new STARMADE folder is in. So "C:\STARMADE" or where ever you put it. Make sure to assign it at lest 4GB of ram.

I'd go with what timethatswasted is saying because he definitely seems to know what he's talking about. I have SMEdit installed in its own separate StarMade installation running version 0.19174#20150319_050107 and whatever version the latest version of SMEdit is. I always copy the blueprint to the installation I build in before I start building on it. And yes, my SMEdit installation currently works for me, but for the issues with me having a terrible computer (nothing that should affect your experience).

Reaction score

Thanks ttw, I sat down planning to follow your post in another attempt to get it going, but I'm forbidden access to the link you provided (403).
    I don't know why - I was logged in, and have bought the game. Is it because I'm a new member?
    Are you able to provide another link for it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Thanks ttw, I sat down planning to follow your post in another attempt to get it going, but I'm forbidden access to the link you provided (403).
    I don't know why - I was logged in, and have bought the game. Is it because I'm a new member?
    Are you able to provide another link for it?
    *facepalm* sorry, copy and pasting from a phone is not the best option.

here is the correct link: http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20151122_012619.zip my apologies

KEEP IN MIND:

-Since this is an old version on Starmade you cant move files backwards. So if you plan to use this to rotate your ship in the most current version, it probably wont work.

-Currently it only good for importing 3d models into starmade.

Reaction score
    Yeeeessss!

It works. It didn't the first time I tried it, but I ran it a second time from cmd to see if there were any error messages I could post, and this time it worked!

(This is on my computer at work: Win7 with the latest 64 bit Java installed, for anyone in the same situation)
    I used SMEdit 1.03.92a from here: SMEdit

Thanks very much ttw.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!

Can you elaborate a little more please? I don't know what you mean by create a new folder name STARMADE. Like where would I put it and why do I need to do that if I already have one?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    SMEdit is set up to install itself into a folder with the name "STARMADE". Even tho the options to change directories has been added, it can still get derpy.

Create an all new STARMADE folder somewhere in your computer away from your primary STARMADE folder. Download that older version of starmade I posted and plop it in there. Download SMEdit and put it in that new STARMADE folder you made along with that older version.

Fire it up.

After you have started it up once you can change the name of the folder to whatever you want.