Smart Inventories

Reaction score
    So first post!

THE PROBLEM

Say you want to create a few Grey Standard Hulls, you'd have to move Meshes and Crystals from your Refinery to the Basic Factory by hand. From there the crafted Basic Grey Hull would have to be moved by hand to the Standard Factory along with Sapsun and Macet Capsules. Now that may not be a huge issue but lets say you own a shop and you want to sell what you just made, this means you have to pull those items out, and manually search them up in a shop and set the amount you're putting in. This can't be done from a build block and if you're moving or doing anything large it means a lot of menu moving.

THE IDEA

But what if instead, blocks sent a "Need" signal for items, you could have say your Factories linked to the Refinery, from here you could start with the Standard factory and tell it you want it to make the Standard Hull, it would call out for the blocks for the materials first to inventories and if it finds any of the materials it needs it will pull them to it. If the Standard factory does not find what its looking for it could call out to any other factories in the network to produce what it needs, which would call out to a Basic Factory that it wants Basic Grey Hull, the Basic factory would do the same as the Standard Factory and call out for the materials it needs, and it being linked to a Refinery it would find the Meshes and Crystals it needs and start creating. This could be chained to easily create larger more expensive blocks a lot easier. Also to alleviate the Basic factory from constantly producing after you get what you need from the Standard Factory, instead of the current system of them being always on or off, you request how many you want to craft and it will output the "Need" signal as long as it has an open order. In Factories this means that as long as one of them needs parts built from lower tier ones it will have the constantly produce until it meets its quota which it will then stop the "Need" signal and shut off production from the other Factories.

SHOPS

Now about the shop, I purpose instead of the shop module itself holding all of the block amount data it has to be linked to an inventory. Another change to go with the "Need" system would be how shops operate on its inventory, a player owned shop would be able to set how many of an block he wants in his shop at all times, this inturn would send out "Need" signals to anything connected to its inventory, which if its linked to a factory would produce the amount and fill the shop's inventory making it easier and more viable for player run shops to refill stock.

SHIPYARDS AND YOU

This same system can also be applied to a shipyard's inventory allowing for easier construction on a player's or faction's home station. If a build order is given to a shipyard, it would send "Need" signals for the blocks it needs through its inventories, allowing factories to facilitate its request.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND BEAMS

With the "Need" system in mind there comes something much request from players, a way to transfer and take items between ships without having to get out of your ship, grab the items, take them to where you want them and then back into your ship. Instead I purpose a pair of beams that can be linked to inventories, the Supply Beam will need to be fired into another inventory, this will take items from the inventory linked to the Supply Beam and send them to the other inventory where as the Demand Beam will do the opposite drawing items from an exposed inventory into its linked inventory. This will allow say a miner to mine a lot of resources and just beam them down onto a station which will refine them and use them for whatever maybe set.

ASTROTECH

The issue I have with Astrotech beams is that while helpful they're extremely unhelpful. I've noticed in Starmade battles are very decisive you either get blown to bits because of someones larger ship or you manage to barely get away with just half of your ship intact. Astrotech doesn't replace blocks and very few times will have not be missing blocks and only need surface healing. With the idea that ships may be able to have a blueprint uploaded into them in the future to allow retrofits and repairs at Shipyards, why not go further with the idea and make Astrotech useful by making it repair and restore blocks? Similar to the Supply/Demand Beams, the Astrotech Beam will be linked to an inventory and will go through blocks expect cores, when the Astrotech Beam hits a core it will repair/build/restore blocks based upon the blueprint installed on the ship, any blocks it removes will be placed in its inventory, and any blocks placed must be inside the inventory for it to do so, it will also still have its ability to heal and repair blocks but it will only need to hit the core. For abit of balance, an Astrotech beam cannot be used on a structure it is docked or attached to.

Thats what I have so far, if you have any questions, opinions, discuss below! I really wanna hear what you guys think of the idea.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Say you want to create a few Grey Standard Hulls, you'd have to move Meshes and Crystals from your Refinery to the Basic Factory by hand. From there the crafted Basic Grey Hull would have to be moved by hand to the Standard Factory along with Sapsun and Macet Capsules.
    No. You don't

C/V a factory to any block with inventory, be it factory or storage, and it will pull the blocks it needs into its own inventory.

Sorry to shit on such a large suggestion, but from my quick glance...

this is already in :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the suggestion is really good if you go up a tier, I assumed this idea is planned:

Shipyard linked to factories linked to materials will automatically create the blocks you need to fill a design.

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    No. You don't

C/V a factory to any block with inventory, be it factory or storage, and it will pull the blocks it needs into its own inventory.

this is already in :p
    I did not know that! But regardless the rest of my suggestion still stands. I would like shops to operate off an inventory as well as being able to create orders to autostock them off factories. I'd love for it to be possible for you to set a set about you want in your shop and when someone buys the parts the shop could send a "Need" signal for your factories to produce the blocks and then restock the inventory.

I think the suggestion is really good if you go up a tier, I assumed this idea is planned:

Shipyard linked to factories linked to materials will automatically create the blocks you need to fill a design.
    Yes! Thats what I was saying that all tier factories could be linked to a shipyard and when an order for a ship is made the factories will revieve a "Need" signal to produce the number of blocks required for the ship and send them to the available inventories.

Reaction score
    No. You don't

this is already in :p
    My biggest complaint on this is that it will keep pulling even though it's not being used. IE: You are missing one component, the factory will continue pulling.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    My biggest complaint on this is that it will keep pulling even though it's not being used. IE: You are missing one component, the factory will continue pulling.
    If the factory doesn't need to be running, turn it off. That will stop it pulling

if you're talking about the fact that it can build a surplus of unused resources, have a storage module pulling those blocks out of the factory at the rate it pulls them in, should help counteract it.

Reaction score
    Turning it off is a manual process. If the factories triggered logic blocks, I could automate it, but currently they don't and the only solution I have is to have a chest that continually empties the factory

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Turning it off is a manual process. If the factories triggered logic blocks, I could automate it, but currently they don't and the only solution I have is to have a chest that continually empties the factory
    Factories trigger adjacent logic blocks, like storages do, AFAIK.

Reaction score
    To be perfectly honest, the intriguing part of this suggestion was the on demand factory. If I could link a capsule factory to a hull factory and it would only pull materials on an as needed basis, it would simplify a lot of setups. If the hull factory needed a capsule, the capsule factory would pull the needed supplies, make a capsule and be done.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    To be perfectly honest, the intriguing part of this suggestion was the on demand factory. If I could link a capsule factory to a hull factory and it would only pull materials on an as needed basis, it would simplify a lot of setups. If the hull factory needed a capsule, the capsule factory would pull the needed supplies, make a capsule and be done.
    Chests trigger logic. its a bit strange, but there are video's on it. Might be able to do it already.

not aruging against the suggestion, just suggesting workarounds for now :)

Reaction score
    A lot of information learned today! I really wish people would contribute to the wiki more, its in dire need of updates and info. I'm going to take it upon myself to ask questions to try and get info with things like this so I can start making edits to the wiki. I'll have to try these suggestions out after work today, I'll let you know what I find and cook up!
    On that not would any of you like to help me in this? You don't gotta do much, just answer my questions related to things so I can update the wiki.

Reaction score

I think that's a planned thing. If not it should be.