[Small updates] Roleplay ship interior classification (human race): An attempt

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hi everyone,
    I have recently come up with a relatively simple classification for the roleplay capabilities of a ship. Note that this is intended to be completely independent of ship class and size; it's purpose is to quickly show at a glance what level of roleplay support a ship has without dictating interior dimensions or similar. Note however that very small ships are unlikely to fulfill the higher classes' requirements.

Each class has a set of requirements; note that a higher class also contains all requirements of all the lower classes. All of this is purely of a suggestion nature and to give an overview; especially the ordering/prioritization of the features may differ from person to person.

* Crew does not need to necessarily have a function (like firing a turret or flying a ship in the hangar). All ships are pilot-centered due to their nature; "crew" in the context of this classification just means that it is possible to have that many people on the ship and still have enough of all the RP features listed for that class to use them as intended. A very large ship can easily accomodate far more crew that would ever realistically be on the ship at the same time.

• Ship core access from the outside.

This class and higher ones denote ships that can believably let at least their pilot survive in empty space.
    • Airtight hull. No airlocks needed.

This class and higher ones denote ships that can actually be "walked in", e.g. roleplay in gravity.
    • Exiting the ship core will not dump you into space regardless of ship rotation state.
    • At least one camera block to allow for a relatively clean outside view
    • At least one gravity block on the ship or a thrust-based means of gravity simulation (no forced permanent zero-G environment for additional crew)
    • Minimum supported RP crew* of 1 (the pilot)
    • Small walkable area apart from core room.
    • Basic furniture: at least 1 private bed or bunk (permissible to build into wall) and 1 chair facing any table per crew member.
    • At least 1 storage chest/locker per crew member

This class of ships permits basic roleplay with a limited number of roles and possible activities.
    • Minimum supported RP crew* of 2 (so that the pilot can take someone with them)
    • Captain quarters are separated from the rest of the interior by a door
    • Mess hall/table (simple long table sufficient for smaller ships). May double as meeting room.
    • Accessible medical cabinet/supplies block
    • Basic sanitary equipment: at least 1 toilet/sink combination + 1 shower total found on the ship
    • Airtight hull w/ airlocks. Hangars may directly open into space and are then considered to be without life support, requiring airlocks to connect them to the interior.

This class of ship exhibits extensive interior features and facilities to support more complex RP scenarios and generally allow for a relatively "realistic" sci-fi setting.
    • bridge and/or CIC (external or internal) with at least one display block showing power and shield status - may be combined with the core room/access
    • Minimum supported RP crew* of 6
    • Interior navigation supported by display blocks
    • Dedicated captain and officer quarters are separated from the rest of the interior by a door.
    • Dedicated captain quarters have their own sanitary equipment
    • Dedicated meeting/briefing room.
    • Dedicated (not shared-space) mess hall with table and sitting opportunities for every crew member.
    • Dedicated medical room separated from the rest of the interior by a door
    • Ships above 10k mass need at least one internal 7x7x7 shuttle dock. Hangar rules apply.

This class of ship is suitable for complex roleplay, enabling their crew to re-enact or live-play any generic sci-fi scenario. Diverse and complex interior to allow for a multitude of settings and scenes, and a truly "realistic" sci-fi feeling.
    • For ships that have logic, state indicators of important blocks added to bridge or CIC
    • Dedicated science lab (separate from medical room)
    • Dedicated armory
    • Dedicated surgery, biohazard isolation (with airlock), critical care and normal bedrooms instead of general medical room
    • Dedicated engine/machinery room
    • Dedicated bar and leisure facilities
    • Ship-wide RED ALERT system
    • Brigg / jail with at least one cell. The author prefers this cell to be linked to an "exterminate"- button somewhere on the ship, but that is up to personal preference (as is the method of extermination)
    • Sufficient shuttle docks to allow all crew to escape. Hangar rules apply.

(WIP - to be continued/changed/modified)

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Neat! I recommend shifting everything except level 0 up a level (level 1 becomes level 2, level 2 becomes level 3, and so on), with a new level 1.
    • Minimum supported RP crew* of 1 (the pilot)
    • Airtight hull. Airlocks are not needed
    I was originally going to require that exiting the ship core will not dump you into space regardless of orientation, but that might exclude some ships that serve as little more than thruster sleds, or ships with very tiny core rooms.
    I recommend making escape pods optional, along with one or more dockable "safe rooms". In point of fact, escape boats are not a real option for a spaceship, and are a carryover in SciFi from sea-faring vessels. Real space ships will want to use genuine docked ships for escape, or else the crew will want to stay with the wreckage, for maximum survivability. That's not to say a ship can't have lifeboats, but they should be optional, even for advanced RP ships.

Edit: I almost forgot:
    For this level, I recommend making the gravity block optional. Some "realistic" ship designs might want to use thrust as the RP cause for gravity, even though the game doesn't give on-board players actual gravity effects during thrust.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ahh thank you I forgot to add an armory and general mess, but I did build a small kiosk off a garden does that count?

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Marduk_Zoekoff As long as your crew can sit together and eat somewhere, that is enough for RP-3. Even a 2-block table with a chair for each crewmember would technically be enough. RP-4 really needs a closed off room with sufficient space for the crew to eat while sitting, though.

I added descriptions and refined a few points.

Reactions: Marduk_Zoekoff
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I just have one thing to nitpick about:
    There is a huge rift between class 1 and 2.
    This rift is IMO caused by the 2 requirements of a "bedroom" and a bridge to look outside.
    Or you could make a class 1.7 that is the same as class 2, except the ship has either a "bedroom" or a bridge to look outside.(seeing as some RP ships use cameras and monitors[lorewise] instead of glass or similar seethrough materials in an exposed bridge.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It is true that some lore's ships do not even have windows to begin with; I have removed that entirely from the classifications (it should be obvious a human ship's captain quarters are somewhat likely to have a window, for instance). Instead a small walkable general area is required as well as the use of a camera for the pilot. An RP ship will in most cases not have extremely large glass surfaces without supporting struts, but small windows are almost needed for ships of human origin at least, to make a long journey somewhat bearable.

Note though that this classification is very human-biased anyways; as such when handling other species, "comparable" requirements are still acceptable to some degree, as long as they are comparable in consumed space and roleplay use too.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is great. One suggestion that I would have is that instead of having set requirements for each level (ex. RP-0 -- RP-5), give each element diferent stages of RP-ness and give certin numbers of points for each stage. Then have the total number of points add up to something and have the RP levels be ranges of points.

Ex. - Oxegen systems:
    Air tight hull: 1 point
    All entrances sealed by airlocks (does not include hangers): 1 point
    All hangers have seperate airlocks leading to interior of ship: 1 point
    Bio dome (for production of oxegen): 1 point

Ex. - Crew quarters:
    One bed and storage locker per crew member: 1 point
    Tables and chairs (one chair per crew member [at least]): 1 point
    dedicated mess hall: 1 point
    Showers (one per 10 crew members [at least]): 1 point
    toilets/sinks (one per 10 crew members [at least]): 1 point

Ex. - Ship rooms:
    Dedicated bridge: 1 point
    Engine/misc mechanical room: 1 point
    Storage room: 1 point
    Sheild generators: 1 point

So you would take your ship and you add the specified points for each thing room/nesscesity that you have on it and that would be your total. Then the RP level is determined by a range of points that your total falls into.​

Last edited:

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I thought about a point- based system but the problem with these things always is that you could end up with configurations that don't make that much sense - for example an extremely elaborate two-story bathroom for 50 people combined with a 3x3x3 cube for the rest of the interior ;)
    As such each level was meant to make sense for roleplaying with different grades of realism, and would serve as a "quick glance" guideline to determine what you can expect onboard a blueprint. Building a ship with severely unbalanced realism levels across rooms would prevent immersion too much.

A point system would force me to set value ratios between different RP features, and these would be highly subjective. For example, person A might not value an entire full-out conference complex 15 times as much as a bathroom, while large faction B would :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    an extremely elaborate two-story bathroom for 50 people combined with a 3x3x3 cube for the rest of the interior ;)
    They would get two points, one for the bathroom and one for the walkable space. Two points would assumably fall under Minumum RP features.

A point system would force me to set value ratios between different RP features, and these would be highly subjective. For example, person A might not value an entire full-out conference complex 15 times as much as a bathroom, while large faction B would :)
    Hence that I set all the point values to one meaning person A gets the same number of points for their bathroom as faction B gets for their conference complex.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There are a few points I don't agree with personally but most of it looks good. A lot of these could vary simply depending on military regulations or RP lore. If you RP cybernetic beings that can survive in vacuum than a lot of the normal features would be unnecessary.

"Basic sanitary equipment: at least 1 toilet/sink combination + 1 shower total found on the ship"
    • I personally think toilets are too small an object to be be portrayed in a 1x1x1 meter block building game. I use what I call an "Omni-Shower" which functions as a shower stall as well as my toilet stalls.
    "Ship-wide RED ALERT system."
    • I'm not building Starfleet ships so I have no intention of adding "red alert" to any of my RP style ships. Some of my combat ships have a "combat mode" which does lower the light level on the bridge and possible other functions but I will not add flashing red lights all over my ships unless they are indicating an error or open hanger door.
    "Dedicated bar and leisure facilities."
    • This is a war ship not a pleasure cruise! You now get to clean the Omni-Showers, GET TO IT SOLDIER!
    "Dedicated captain and officer quarters have their own sanitary equipment"
    • Captain's yes but officers do not need sanitation in the quarters themselves but they probably should have a dedicated facility separate from the rest of the crew.
    "bridge and/or CIC with at least one display block showing power and shield status"
    "Interior navigation supported by display blocks"
    • Personally hate display blocks... I have not found a way to put information on them I am happy with in my own style. I also want to label my rooms but display blocks just look ugly to me. I want metal signs. for simple labels.

Most of the other guidelines I follow already and this does give me some ideas for when I get to bigger ships.

Additionally any ships with large amounts of crew space should have to have cargo bays/ additional stock/storage rooms, and depending on your lore a way to produce food. All my large ships are equipped with aeroponics and protein synthesizer machines. If your lore says you have replicators in every room then galley/ mess halls and other food production may not be needed.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There are a few points I don't agree with personally but most of it looks good. A lot of these could vary simply depending on military regulations or RP lore. If you RP cybernetic beings that can survive in vacuum than a lot of the normal features would be unnecessary.

"Basic sanitary equipment: at least 1 toilet/sink combination + 1 shower total found on the ship"
    • I personally think toilets are too small an object to be be portrayed in a 1x1x1 meter block building game. I use what I call an "Omni-Shower" which functions as a shower stall as well as my toilet stalls.
    "Ship-wide RED ALERT system."
    • I'm not building Starfleet ships so I have no intention of adding "red alert" to any of my RP style ships. Some of my combat ships have a "combat mode" which does lower the light level on the bridge and possible other functions but I will not add flashing red lights all over my ships unless they are indicating an error or open hanger door.
    "Dedicated bar and leisure facilities."
    • This is a war ship not a pleasure cruise! You now get to clean the Omni-Showers, GET TO IT SOLDIER!
    "Dedicated captain and officer quarters have their own sanitary equipment"
    • Captain's yes but officers do not need sanitation in the quarters themselves but they probably should have a dedicated facility separate from the rest of the crew.
    "bridge and/or CIC with at least one display block showing power and shield status"
    "Interior navigation supported by display blocks"
    • Personally hate display blocks... I have not found a way to put information on them I am happy with in my own style. I also want to label my rooms but display blocks just look ugly to me. I want metal signs. for simple labels.

Most of the other guidelines I follow already and this does give me some ideas for when I get to bigger ships.

Additionally any ships with large amounts of crew space should have to have cargo bays/ additional stock/storage rooms, and depending on your lore a way to produce food. All my large ships are equipped with aeroponics and protein synthesizer machines. If your lore says you have replicators in every room then galley/ mess halls and other food production may not be needed.
    You can use an upward facing cannon for your toilets.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That is not a bad idea but i can see some practical jokes coming from the engineering department.
    "Ok you flushed it... and it did WHAT!?"
    One must vaporize potentially hazardous waste as quickly as possible somehow. Warning: stand clear during vaporization cycle!

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Interesting, so now I have gathered that some people wash their hands on the same block others discharge their processed food into :O

I should put display blocks on my sinks. "Please do not use as toilet, do you know what zero-G plumbers charge??"

EDIT: Sven_The_Slayer Some of these points I do in fact agree with, I have moved leisure facitilies and red alert to RP-5. However, for RP-5 both of these really *are* required. The reason is that for a human race spaceship, it is likely someone downloading a ship for a strong RP purpose may want to have the option of a red alert scenario as well as off-duty activities even on a purely military ship, as these happen frequently in many popular fictional settings.
    A ship built for the sole purpose of being as efficient as possible at factional warfare is unlikely to be able to support RP-5 anyways (and probably should not). However, without all these RP-4 is manageable now.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Interesting, so now I have gathered that some people wash their hands on the same block others discharge their processed food into :O

I should put display blocks on my sinks. "Please do not use as toilet, do you know what zero-G plumbers charge??"
    about 5,000,000 credits an hour

EDIT: Sven_The_Slayer Some of these points I do in fact agree with, I have moved leisure facitilies and red alert to RP-5. However, for RP-5 both of these really *are* required. The reason is that for a human race spaceship, it is likely someone downloading a ship for a strong RP purpose may want to have the option of a red alert scenario as well as off-duty activities even on a purely military ship, as these happen frequently in many popular fictional settings.
    A ship built for the sole purpose of being as efficient as possible at factional warfare is unlikely to be able to support RP-5 anyways (and probably should not). However, without all these RP-4 is manageable now.
    I think the biggest thing for me is I already use red flashing lights as a warning indicator on my ships. They are usually rigged into the mechanism controlling hanger or cargo bay doors so when the doors are open, the light's blink warning the presence of vacuum. This warning state may also close doors and turn otherwise freely open paths into airlocks. It just does not make sense for me to have a "general red alert" in addition to a very specific warning system. Plus those flashing lights on the entire ship would just be very distracting. You try and get work done when your only light source is a flashing red light. If we had audio warnings I'd be down with adding that. As far as I know real military vessels don't have "red alert" and I'd prefer my ships being grounded in reality over Star Trek... does any other scifi use that system?