Brainstorm This Small Suggestion: Concrete Blocks

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In that case, I have the perfect solution for everyone: Call it Plexcrete.

A lot of your ideas about hull (such as changing it's resistance properties) although interesting seem to be based on this assumption. I don't see that stated in the Wiki though, and I don't make that assumption myself.
    https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Hull
    That is why it is called an assumption. If it was a listed or known we would state it as a fact.
    It could be made out of aircraft grade aluminum or it could be titanium. Simply chose steel because of the abundance of Iron available in the real universe it could be whatever they want in starmade that is the most abundant here. The point was it was given as an example. Because last I checked we don't mine iron or carbon or anything of the sort in this game to make it real. We could be however just calling it another name.
    The point is elements have properties and when combined differently produce different stuff. Which this entire games crafting system is about to start with so why not make as much out of it and put in some realism on that direction if you are going to give real world names like concrete ...crete or something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That is why it is called an assumption. If it was a listed or known we would state it as a fact.
    It could be made out of aircraft grade aluminum or it could be titanium. Simply chose steel because of the abundance of Iron available in the real universe it could be whatever they want in starmade that is the most abundant here. The point was it was given as an example.
    Agreed. So, naming a material like concrete as an example to illustrate a point is equally agreeable to me.

Because last I checked we don't mine iron or carbon or anything of the sort in this game to make it real.
    Bingo. The game devs have spent time coming up with a list of fictional elements for a reason. They don't want the game to reflect reality precisely, just closely enough so that people have a frame of reference they can use to comprehend the game world. This is more than just an assumption as there is evidence in everything from the "cartoony" spaceflight physics to the shape of planets that the Devs do not want to make it too "real".
    I think the name Plexcrete gives a "familiar" name for a material we can all easily associate with something appropriate for constructing static buildings out of. But I would think that, 'cause I came up with the name ;)

The point is elements have properties and when combined differently produce different stuff. Which this entire games crafting system is about to start with so why not make as much out of it and put in some realism on that direction if you are going to give real world names like concrete ...crete or something.
    Sorry to hammer the point but, I think the way the Devs want to move forward is "familiarity" rather than "reality". Scientific principals may be carried over from the real world, but I strongly doubt they're going to start using real element names and chemical reactions in the game at this point.

Your idea of combining different elements to get different properties is absolutely great and no-doubt the crafters out there (and probably Schine too!) are very interested in discussing your ideas on it. In the nicest possible way: perhaps the idea deserves a fresh start in it's own thread?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Agreed. So, naming a material like concrete as an example to illustrate a point is equally agreeable to me.

Bingo. The game devs have spent time coming up with a list of fictional elements for a reason. They don't want the game to reflect reality precisely, just closely enough so that people have a frame of reference they can use to comprehend the game world. This is more than just an assumption as there is evidence in everything from the "cartoony" spaceflight physics to the shape of planets that the Devs do not want to make it too "real".
    I think the name Plexcrete gives a "familiar" name for a material we can all easily associate with something appropriate for constructing static buildings out of. But I would think that, 'cause I came up with the name ;)

Sorry to hammer the point but, I think the way the Devs want to move forward is "familiarity" rather than "reality". Scientific principals may be carried over from the real world, but I strongly doubt they're going to start using real element names and chemical reactions in the game at this point.

Your idea of combining different elements to get different properties is absolutely great and no-doubt the crafters out there (and probably Schine too!) are very interested in discussing your ideas on it. In the nicest possible way: perhaps the idea deserves a fresh start in it's own thread?
    I wasn't thinking of bring the elements into the game. We have that in a way they are the crystal and so on we mine for currently.
    However, if they expanded it to the various earth types they could increase that easily and then have use for the other materials in the game as well besides aesthetics.

This game is working with a limited block count currently. However a game could create a system where blocks could be created from players interaction between blocks. For example player A may take 1 part crystal XXX and combine it with 1 part YYY and create a block where another player may try another combination such as 1 to 3 and one block may be more stronger or flexible one may absorb heat better or conduct electricity. the point is you could use it to change the properties of a block and people could seriously then customize armor and so on. that said it may be a bit to complex for most people forcing them to actually experiment to learn something rather than read a wiki well not to sure how many people would go for it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wasn't thinking of bring the elements into the game. We have that in a way they are the crystal and so on we mine for currently.
    However, if they expanded it to the various earth types they could increase that easily and then have use for the other materials in the game as well besides aesthetics.

This game is working with a limited block count currently. However a game could create a system where blocks could be created from players interaction between blocks. For example player A may take 1 part crystal XXX and combine it with 1 part YYY and create a block where another player may try another combination such as 1 to 3 and one block may be more stronger or flexible one may absorb heat better or conduct electricity. the point is you could use it to change the properties of a block and people could seriously then customize armor and so on. that said it may be a bit to complex for most people forcing them to actually experiment to learn something rather than read a wiki well not to sure how many people would go for it.
    I think lots of people would go for it. Not everyone of course, but this game does attract a lot of crafters and experimenters. The only issue is the block limit. There are actually quite a lot of free block IDs left but, the Devs would have to be sure enough people wanted a feature like this before committing so many IDs to it. No-one will ever know if it doesn't get discussed :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So tell me, what is Sintyr? Guve me a real life example of Sityr crystals and I will pay you.
    Once, long ago, the game had cub-atoms.
    They had 4 energy states: solid, fluid, gas, plasma.
    In the end you had at least 16 elements (about as many as organic atoms in the periodic table).​

Unfortunately this led to peoples gaining very expensive stuff from cheap crap. (think about lava+stone to faction-blocks, but the exact conversion doesn't matter anymore, the system got purged)

When using real-world elements, you are limiting yourself in multiple ways of balance:
    1. input-ratio of ingredients to get a certain type of material
    2. weight of ingredients = weight of product + waste. Wait, waste? We don't have waste-products in SM now …
    3. no fictional materials.

You will end up with either a lot of waste or a shortage of valuables.
    Not bad if you could use the whole creativity of humanity to make something useful out of waste (cheap-as-hell surveillance equipment, decoys, …), but you can't. This game isn't deep enough, not simulated on an atomic/molecular level.
    • If it would, infinite-energy reactors would be purged first (I can already hear the community outcry).

I still hope there is a solution in-between for some game like SoA, since SM clearly stated they won't do it.

Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    I was not a member of the community when Cub-atoms were the system. They sound a bit Star Trek, which is interesting, but our new "Industrial" crafting system works better. I do wonder where Cub-atoms would have gone with a little more balancing...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So tell me, what is Sintyr? Guve me a real life example of Sintyr crystals and I will pay you.
    What is is Sintyr. What it most closely represents is a Magnetite which isn't an element but a mineral. I say that because of what it is used in almost everything it is used in by coincidence effects motion speed and mass. Which tends to say gravity or magnetic fields are at work.
    Here is the list of what it is used in https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Sintyr_Capsule.
    Increased explosive effects could be due to play on reducing bonds and other fields increased repulsive fields. It could also be because Iron is used in thermite which burns extremely hot thus ensuring a burn in space and better explosive yield on conventional rounds.
    Of course it would be fairly obvious use in the rail system which is magnetic. That takes care of all the rail parts listed.
    Shipyard Anchor - again magnetic.
    Mass enhancers again reduction or countering a field.

Granted none of this probably has any actual reason they used it. Sintyr is a make believe element or mineral doesn't matter.

Reaction score
    What is is Sintyr. What it most closely represents is a Magnetite which isn't an element but a mineral. I say that because of what it is used in almost everything it is used in by coincidence effects motion speed and mass. Which tends to say gravity or magnetic fields are at work.
    Here is the list of what it is used in https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Sintyr_Capsule.
    Increased explosive effects could be due to play on reducing bonds and other fields increased repulsive fields. It could also be because Iron is used in thermite which burns extremely hot thus ensuring a burn in space and better explosive yield on conventional rounds.
    Of course it would be fairly obvious use in the rail system which is magnetic. That takes care of all the rail parts listed.
    Shipyard Anchor - again magnetic.
    Mass enhancers again reduction or countering a field.

Granted none of this probably has any actual reason they used it. Sintyr is a make believe element or mineral doesn't matter.
    Hmm. I can't tell if I owe you or not... :p