Brainstorm This Small Suggestion: Concrete Blocks

Reaction score
    Please add a concrete block, similar to rock but with a smoother texture. It would be cheap to mass produce and stronger than most normal building materials, but at the cost of higher mass. Similarly, there could be reinforced concrete blocks, which are highly resistant to damage and cheaper than armor, but extremely high mass.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Huh, a "carved rock" made from actual rock that we can use to buff up our stations defense? I like where your head is at.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    +1
    This is a pretty 'solid' idea (lol, couldn't help it)
    This would help improve static base/ship defense, and make slow-moving armor tanks more viable.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Please add a concrete block, similar to rock but with a smoother texture. It would be cheap to mass produce and stronger than most normal building materials, but at the cost of higher mass. Similarly, there could be reinforced concrete blocks, which are highly resistant to damage and cheaper than armor, but extremely high mass.
    Makes no real sense Density of concrete is 2200-2400 Kg/m3 where steel is about 7700 Kg/M3. Steel is less brittle and other issues.
    Concrete will break down at 1000C and sand melts at 2600C and steel melts at 1500C. Which is why so many engineers call BS on the 9/11.
    There should be massive concrete issues before the steel ever gave way.

Reinforced concrete is just concrete with steel or iron rebar in it.

So it doesn't make sense to give a heavy mass unit vs armor or much of anything else. Now if you were to say mix it with a clay product and make a heat shielding compound it would work well against beam weapons but not so well against cannons that would make great sense.
    Beam weapons do heat damage while cannons would damage it easier because it is brittle.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Aye, perfect for building on planets where mass is of little concern. Why the hell not? :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450215606,1450215309][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Makes no real sense Density of concrete is 2200-2400 Kg/m3 where steel is about 7700 Kg/M3. Steel is less brittle and other issues.
    Concrete will break down at 1000C and sand melts at 2600C and steel melts at 1500C. Which is why so many engineers call BS on the 9/11.

So it doesn't make sense to give a heavy mass unit vs armor or much of anything else. Now if you were to say mix it with a clay product and make a heat shielding compound it would work well against beam weapons but not so well against cannons that would make great sense.
    Beam weapons do heat damage while cannons would damage it easier because it is brittle.
    I say pfah to your inconvenient facts ;) Seriously though, does it say anywhere that Starmade hull/armour is made of steel? For all we know, it could be an alloy which is less dense than concrete.

Reaction score
    This would allow for some awesome armor layering. I like it. Make it crap against cannons but boss against beams. Currently there isnt any real way of stopping beams once your shields are down so I am all for this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Aye, perfect for building on planets where mass is of little concern. Why the hell not? :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450215606,1450215309][/DOUBLEPOST]

I say pfah to your inconvenient facts ;) Seriously though, does it say anywhere that Starmade hull/armour is made of steel? For all we know, it could be an alloy which is less dense than concrete.
    Aluminum is 2700Kg/M3 so lots of luck with coming up with that alloy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5

I think in the starmade universe hull and armor blocks aren't solid pieces of metal. Would explain why normal hull is pretty low mass. Advanced armor is anyone's guess.

I like this suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    I always think its funny how people of this community like to cherry pick when they want things to be "real". Do I think the concept of the block is a good idea yes. Do I think it has to be "real" no. Sometimes people need to understand that, THIS IS A GAME... Don't let how you want things to be "real" get in the way of creating good mechanics and making the game feel unique. This could be a great idea! +1

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I always think its funny how people of this community like to cherry pick when they want things to be "real". Do I think the concept of the block is a good idea yes. Do I think it has to be "real" no. Sometimes people need to understand that, THIS IS A GAME... Don't let how you want things to be "real" get in the way of creating good mechanics and making the game feel unique. This could be a great idea! +1
    +1
    If players want it to be called something else thats fine! But the idea in essence sounds very doable and useful to the game.

Reactions: Phoenix7991
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I agree, let's bitchfight over realism in a game where you fly in spaceships made of giant lego blocks

Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think in the starmade universe hull and armor blocks aren't solid pieces of metal. Would explain why normal hull is pretty low mass. Advanced armor is anyone's guess.

I like this suggestion.
    Well if we were to by the new point system yea its a pretty pathetic when you consider that if a computer is comparable to say the structural design of a PC or modern computer and its housing. Then it doesn't say much at all for the armor at all. But hey this a game and not meant to be realistic.

Computers adds 75 structural. Honestly tend to think that is poor naming use there. Structural usually tends to indicate that it is part of the structure. Had it been me I would called it "systems". Its mass increase is 0.1
    Light armor adds 50 armor points and 5 struct 0.05 mass
    standard armor adds 75 armor and 5 struct 0.15 mass
    advanced adds 100 armor and 5 struct 0.25 mass

Its structural that is used to determine if the ship over heats. Ok, I can go along with that. However, in the real world armor failure to any extent creates real structural failure. which is why I say that they shouldn't be calling what they are calling structural because it isn't it is "systems failure" Armor is actually part of any ships structural integrity. In fact if you need a good example it was structural integrity that the failed and was the reason for the space shuttle breaking up over Texas and so on.

What it equates to is light armor is not much more than aluminum siding or hardy plank you would put on your house.
    standard armor is about 3mm aluminum.
    advanced armor is about 5 mm aluminum.

A decent BB gun could shoot through the first one. And 99% of hand guns & rifles could shoot through the other 2.

That's assuming you are comparing it to a modern computer with aluminum housing. compare it to an older steel case system.
    you are talking about 1 mm steel combined passing through it. Adjust accordingly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Aluminum is 2700Kg/M3 so lots of luck with coming up with that alloy.
    It's a Sci-Fi game, we can make stuff up. Are the Avengers movies no fun because in real life Ironman's suit would be too heavy to fly?

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's a Sci-Fi game, we can make stuff up. Are the Avengers movies no fun because in real life Ironman's suit would be too heavy to fly?
    Actually his suit could be made to fly. Suggest finding a better example.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Actually his suit could be made to fly. Suggest finding a better example.
    kthen the arc reactor, helicarrier, mjolnir, James Rhodes' wingsuit, Ultron's turn-town-into-asteroid device, and many more.
    lets get back on topic of concrete blocks in a sci fi game

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    kthen the arc reactor, helicarrier, mjolnir, James Rhodes' wingsuit, Ultron's turn-town-into-asteroid device, and many more.
    lets get back on topic of concrete blocks in a sci fi game
    I'm fine with making stuff up but why throw something out there we simply know doesn't make sense or follow what we know is already established facts.
    If you are going to do that may as well say fine the armor is made out of dandy lions weaved together. It makes as much sense. Other wise what in the hell is the purpose of having the detail built into the crafting system for building stuff.

The arch reactor is based on Multi-Isotope Radio-Decay Cell. - while not entirely realistic is in part based on real world physics even the material Palladium has a real world bases being in it.

There are real winged suits with jet propulsion. Its only a matter of time before someone uses a different materials and lightens them even makes them collapsible. If they drop in some computer controls and control surfaces they will be able to do even better.

mjolnir - based on magic not science or at least not known science potentially just alien tech. But make a hammer out of titanium hollow it out put an inertial engine in it an AI and guidance system you could do pretty much just that.

speaking of inertial engines the ones we can build to day are vastly better than what we could when they were first came up with. Honestly I was thinking about building 4 and attaching them to a bike frame to use as a real hover bike like in starwars.

You can make a real aircraft carrier fly its just a matter of spending money and showing a need for it. We have the technology to do it now.

Ultron's turn-town-into-asteroid device - is based on a fictional metal. I honestly haven't watched that one. So no idea why he needs the metal. It would be easier to simple establish a warp bubble and let the earth move itself away from the city. Then end the warp bubble allowing gravity and momentum to do exactly what he intended. Reading the articles. The issue would be simply generating enough power to create a warp bubble that large. considering we can make a 90,000 megaton nuclear bomb but we just don't I would say if we seen the need we actually could do that as well.

See the problem is most people don't have an actual grasp of what we can really do with current technology.

Think of it this way. We have 3D printers far more capable than most people know. They can do metal or plastic some can even add circuits in. Some can create circuit boards. They are looking at even individual manufacturing of microchips shortly rather than the mass producing we currently do, some can even handle making fabric to clothing. We also have automate lathes, cnc... and a lot more. Our antennas can pick up the signal from a 27 watt transmitter 120 AU from earth. (Voyager).
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450224307,1450224258][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm fine with making stuff up but why throw something out there we simply know doesn't make sense or follow what we know is already established facts.
    If you are going to do that may as well say fine the armor is made out of dandy lions weaved together. It makes as much sense. Other wise what in the hell is the purpose of having the detail built into the crafting system for building stuff.

Just because "You" don't understand something doesn't make it not possible!

The arch reactor is based on Multi-Isotope Radio-Decay Cell. - while not entirely realistic is in part based on real world physics even the material Palladium has a real world bases being in it.

There are real winged suits with jet propulsion. Its only a matter of time before someone uses a different materials and lightens them even makes them collapsible. If they drop in some computer controls and control surfaces they will be able to do even better.

mjolnir - based on magic not science or at least not known science potentially just alien tech. But make a hammer out of titanium hollow it out put an inertial engine in it an AI and guidance system you could do pretty much just that.

speaking of inertial engines the ones we can build to day are vastly better than what we could when they were first came up with. Honestly I was thinking about building 4 and attaching them to a bike frame to use as a real hover bike like in starwars.

You can make a real aircraft carrier fly its just a matter of spending money and showing a need for it. We have the technology to do it now.

Ultron's turn-town-into-asteroid device - is based on a fictional metal. I honestly haven't watched that one. So no idea why he needs the metal. It would be easier to simple establish a warp bubble and let the earth move itself away from the city. Then end the warp bubble allowing gravity and momentum to do exactly what he intended. Reading the articles. The issue would be simply generating enough power to create a warp bubble that large. considering we can make a 90,000 megaton nuclear bomb but we just don't I would say if we seen the need we actually could do that as well.

See the problem is most people don't have an actual grasp of what we can really do with current technology.

Think of it this way. We have 3D printers far more capable than most people know. They can do metal or plastic some can even add circuits in. Some can create circuit boards. They are looking at even individual manufacturing of microchips shortly rather than the mass producing we currently do, some can even handle making fabric to clothing. We also have automate lathes, cnc... and a lot more. Our antennas can pick up the signal from a 27 watt transmitter 120 AU from earth. (Voyager).

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You seem to be missing the point of this being a neat use for rocks and maybe other relatively useless blocks. It fits right along side being able to refine mineral blocks into cash items, with this we can refine planet filler blocks into cheap but heavy armor. (Already established process?)

Its a pretty nice buff to stations, and with cheap blocks to help defend them more players would be likely to build multiple stations, giving more to fight over. Far better than rocks sitting in your cargo hold collecting space dust.

I would be interested to hear how you think this would impact the game negatively other than "It hurts my realism".