Small Status Update

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    what has been done in the last few month besides "other projects"? :)
    or in other words: is this serious, like in: a company dedicated to its product, or is this just a little side project?
    i mean, if you have a 'real' job to make a living, and starmade is just your hobby, that's fine, but i think we deserve to know, so we don't get our hopes up.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I read "research and other projects" as tasks related to the development of Starmade, but not intended to be integral parts of it. Prototyping mechanics, without having to properly integrate them into a full game with all its dependencies and intricacies.

Of course I may be wrong, and while I can't wait to learn more about it, I don't think anybody here is entitled (or "deserves to know") beyond what Schema is willing to share.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Any ETAs at all for anything, mainly the optimizations? I feel like those are really needed right now because it's extremely hard to maintain interest once I actually get in-game.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Last months were mainly integrating lwjgl3 and migrating code to java11 and implementing a new control input system, gui scaling, database maintanace, compression update, network protocol updates, refactoring, as well as looking into and trying out different techniques. The main changes of the universe update will mostly involve creating things to do for the player.

As for side projects, there are a few things I'm working on not only to keep my head sane, but also to ensure I can continue working on starmade, which is still my absolute undisputed main project. These are small projects nowhere near the scope of starmade (not even scraping the surface), but they also help me try out code concepts and techs that I can then use in starmade as well as maybe have a few smaller releases along the way. I can't really give any accurate ETAs but I hope to be done with the optimizations and block updates in the next 1-2 months. Then for audio and AI another month and a half. If everything in there goes to plan, the restructuring of the universe wont take that long. After that restructuring, gameplay mechanics for single and multiplayer will be put in. After that, the project would be going into beta.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    sorry, didn't wanted to be rude or unthankful or anything. pls keep sane and healthy :) working on such a big project mostly alone must be a difficult task. i will wait patiently for whatever comes next :)

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Last months were mainly integrating lwjgl3 and migrating code to java11 and implementing a new control input system, gui scaling, database maintanace, compression update, network protocol updates, refactoring, as well as looking into and trying out different techniques. The main changes of the universe update will mostly involve creating things to do for the player.

As for side projects, there are a few things I'm working on not only to keep my head sane, but also to ensure I can continue working on starmade, which is still my absolute undisputed main project. These are small projects nowhere near the scope of starmade (not even scraping the surface), but they also help me try out code concepts and techs that I can then use in starmade as well as maybe have a few smaller releases along the way. I can't really give any accurate ETAs but I hope to be done with the optimizations and block updates in the next 1-2 months. Then for audio and AI another month and a half. If everything in there goes to plan, the restructuring of the universe wont take that long. After that restructuring, gameplay mechanics for single and multiplayer will be put in. After that, the project would be going into beta.
    Alright so no incremental additions for the update, just gotta wait till the whole thing is all together and then you'll start releasing dev/test builds.

Alright that's fair. (y)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    schema you mentioned "Void system" in the universe recreation section. Does that mean you're spacing out stars with starless "systems" like the early pre-alpha days?

I was actually hoping you'd be able to do away with the system "grid" altogether and just place a star in an arbitrary sector with planets around it. Is there a reason this can't (or shouldn't) be done?

Also, what is the region system for?

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    schema you mentioned "Void system" in the universe recreation section. Does that mean you're spacing out stars with starless "systems" like the early pre-alpha days?
    I'm going to assume so, as I remember making galaxies look more natural was also mentioned before. Having strands or groups of more/less dense stars would certainly lead to that.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!

I was actually hoping you'd be able to do away with the system "grid" altogether and just place a star in an arbitrary sector with planets around it. Is there a reason this can't (or shouldn't) be done?

Also, what is the region system for?
    I'm just spitballing but considering we used to have planetary rotation, having a star off centered from a "system" would cause planets to cross systems as they rotate IF we do see planetary rotation return.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hey schema , with the new universe update. Will you rename the folder structure from world to universe?

Also, any chance you will separate the AI components of the game from the universe functionality?
    I believe this could provide huge benefits if you wanted to manage AI independently or disable the AI altogether for a universe that is completely player only. Managing AI independently could be treated in two different way, NPC player type AI and simple AI for automated systems like navigation control, weapons targeting etc.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm just spitballing but considering we used to have planetary rotation, having a star off centered from a "system" would cause planets to cross systems as they rotate IF we do see planetary rotation return.
    I still don't understand why we have "systems" as such. Sectors are the mechanic used for segmenting the world. Systems don't appear to serve any purpose outside of world generation.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I still don't understand why we have "systems" as such. Sectors are the mechanic used for segmenting the world. Systems don't appear to serve any purpose outside of world generation.
    Afaik systems may change entirely in the new update but I think the reason they are as they are is because StarMade is rigid and blocky not only in ship building but in the way the universe is built.

Reactions: Dire Venom