Slow Rails and Turrets?

Reaction score
    Hey! Like most of you, I've been playing around with the new rails and turrets, and I'm running into some problems.
    Any turret I build that's smaller than the tiniest point defence turret rotates extremely slowly when controlled by BOBBY, but at normal speed when controlled by a human. Does anyone know what's causing this, and how to prevent it? Are rail mass enhancers involved?
    On that note--I'm having similar problems with rails. I have a rack of drones, total mass around 500, I want to push out of the ship, but it moves so slowly (literally takes over an hour to move thirty or so blocks). I've tried rail speed controllers and mass enhancers, but they don't seem to do anything at all, even with thousands of mass enhancers on the ship. My questions:
    • Has anyone else had this problem with slow AI-controlled turrets? Could you get around it?
    • What is the proper way to use rail mass enhancers? Do they need to all be in one cluster, or connected to something by logic, or the like?
    Thanks in advance!

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    AI turrets do require mass enhancers. When a player is inside it though, it does not do the thing that makes it need them, so it can move at full speed (I like it, kinda like a perk to manned turrets).

I think Rails and rotors take into account the mass of all things connected to the ship's rails and rotors systems. Each drone might be 5 mass, but if you have 100 of them, you have 500 mass docked to rails. Probably some form of bug there, using mass enhancers (in bulk) should fix that.

Reaction score
    Thanks, CyberTao! You were 100% correct about turrets needing mass enhancers.

As for the drone rack, the speed doesn't change no matter how many I add to the main ship. I suspect there's a bug involving chain-docked rails.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As for the drone rack, the speed doesn't change no matter how many I add to the main ship. I suspect there's a bug involving chain-docked rails.
    Yeah, that part of rails feels very rushed. I remember hearing something about rails not correctly adding mass. There is also a very steep drop off in speed after you pass the limit for free mass as well.
    Rails are fun, but buggy.

Reaction score
    I'm having similar issues. I built some pretty large shield draining turrets to protect my base from large ships with huge amount of shield power, and when I dock the turrets to a two docking arm system, to achieve 3d axis rotation, they won't move to attack or target anything. I've added large amounts of mass enhancers to all sections, to compensate for the mass, and supplied plenty of power to account for the extra mass enhancers. I tested all this and it just seems that anything larger than an average sized turret will not move when docked to a two 2 axis rotational setup. I've recently been attacked and killed multiple times by big ships... and my large turrets just sit there doing nothing. ??? I hope this issue gets fixed soon.