Slow FPS

Reaction score
    Hello,

I recently downloaded the free Alpha (just to try before I buy), and found my game was running very slow. I was reaching 3-4 FPS when I was simply in tutorial, and wondered if there's anything I can do that might help me run the game? PC specs below:

AMD quad-core A10-5745M APU, with 8610G graphics
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    750GB SATA HDD
    Windows 8.1 OS

Please help! Would love to run this game! :)

Reaction score
    Try the usual:
    1. Make sure you have 64bit Java.
    2. Use the memory settings in the launcher to increase maximum memory to 2-4G.

Reaction score
    Try the usual:
    1. Make sure you have 64bit Java.
    2. Use the memory settings in the launcher to increase maximum memory to 2-4G.
    Even with that I still get the game just shitting out to desktop, I have round about the same stats as OP and I still can't get it to work. Mostly, the game does this when mining a planet or asteroid.

Memory setting should calculate like all other games calculate it, instead of user defined.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    This is my template for "Low" quality settings, high performance. See if these can help.

Turn shadows OFF.
    Advanced options > Disable Background.
    Use Default textures @ 64 - 128 resolution.
    Set view distance to 1000 or lower, depending on results.
    Turn normal maps OFF.

I get a solid 25-30 fps on my 6 year old macbook with the above settings.

Hardcore low mode.

Atmosphere shader : None.
    Lighting Quality : 16
    In game menu, Number of Stars: 0. Space dust; OFF.

Occlusion culling is a great performance enhancer, but is quite hardware specific on low end specs. If things flicker, turn it off.
    VBO bulk size is again, something that you will have to trial and error should you have lots of VRAM available, but always leave it ON.

Once you find a stable and acceptable FPS range, tweak the above variables to find your own balance. :)

Reaction score
    This is my template for "Low" quality settings, high performance. See if these can help.

Turn shadows OFF.
    Advanced options > Disable Background.
    Use Default textures @ 64 - 128 resolution.
    Set view distance to 1000 or lower, depending on results.
    Turn normal maps OFF.

I get a solid 25-30 fps on my 6 year old macbook with the above settings.

Hardcore low mode.

Atmosphere shader : None.
    Lighting Quality : 16
    In game menu, Number of Stars: 0. Space dust; OFF.

Occlusion culling is a great performance enhancer, but is quite hardware specific on low end specs. If things flicker, turn it off.
    VBO bulk size is again, something that you will have to trial and error should you have lots of VRAM available, but always leave it ON.

Once you find a stable and acceptable FPS range, tweak the above variables to find your own balance. :)
    Yeah, but what about me? I have 4 GB allocated, Nvidia card (not intel!) lowest possible settings and a PC that can max out War Thunder an yet I still get low FPS and often a total crash when I'm mining stuff? It might be my end, what might I be doing wrong? Should I use the bug reporting tool? Often the game runs super silky smooth except for that, mining lasers kill the game.

(Java.NullPointerException is my most frequent crash)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yes ToyotaSupra if your getting nullpointers from mining it should probably be reported. Sounds like a serious bug if it's happening consistently and can be recreated.

Submitting a ticket to http://bugs.star-made.org/ with as much detail as you can muster (+ perhaps a copy of your log.txt immediately after crashing) could help the testers.

If in any doubt, a super quick, super polite PM to AndyP or any of the testers might help you out.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Best solution for this:
    Do not use devbuilds, parts of the new gui and their implementation are very unstable and cause nullpointers alot.

The log about crashing while mining was from a dev-build, so I assume its more related to this, than to any other current problem.

In case you have a log from 'latest release' add it to the support ticket. (Or in case anyone else has this in RELEASE create a new ticket)

- Andy