Slightly More Realism

Reaction score
    I\'ll have you know that if you read my recent posts before you spewed your inaccurate judgement about spoiled, kicking, screaming and all that non-sense, when you actually pay attention to each comment, did i start off a bit rude yes, however that was simply because i dont see how people are getting so ridiculous over the speed situation. then later as i whent to discuss what i believed at first to be a day/night cycle, it seemed as if no one knew there was a giant star floating all the time so i got a bit more irritated, however after two explanations from D-car and MrNo i came to my senses and realized what was up. I agree my comments were a bit too profane and uneccesary, however i was nowhere near kicking and screaming, you on the other hand currently are. and on most occasions im nowhere near rude, anger from other things just flowed into my comments by mistake which i appologize for.and yes i do know there is a \"north\" so just because someone has a lack of knowledge over one subject does not mean they are oblivious to all. Thanks for losing your temper as i did though, i can tell you have your pampers on today :)

Reaction score
    spell is spelt correctly already so you\'re not correcting anything there, then if you look at your own comment I was mocking you because you\'re the one who put \"veery\". also I don\'t care for proper capitalization on the computer. so your statement is invalid. please try again.

Reaction score
    You guys do realize that going that fast would make you fly into invisible objects because they wouldn\'t load as fast.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    This thread is hilarious.

First off, I\'d like to suggest that people be very careful to not get worked up on the forums, it never leads to anything good.

Second off, I think I have to agree with both sides of the argument, if only partially. Having planets be only a county away from each other is silly. Likewise, having a fully realistic universe would be broken in many ways gameplay wise. I think the solution is to find a system that feels better and still within the game\'s capacity.

Personally I\'d lower the upper limit on how many planets are in each system, and change the \'KM/H\' to some vague, made-up unit. It stops being a constant reminder that you\'re only going 200 KM/H, instead you\'re going 200 \'units\'. The mental visualization is left to the player and it doesn\'t encroach onto realism as much as unrealistic speeds do.

Making the maximum amount of planets in a system lower will reduce the planet \'spam\', in turn increasing the space inbetween planets without messing up anything major. The only downside is that you won\'t get those views with 20 planets in them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The astronauts are giant robots being 2e-3 AU tall!. There was an error, M was place holder. There shall be a Mod that changed the distance of a sector(2000M) to be a AU. Ship blocks are 1e-3 AU cubed. Sorry for the confusion. I am sure this future change will enhance your gameplay significantly. Have nice day.

Reaction score
    Mean bigger ship, planets, and possibilities. I could build my 17km supper titan i designed

Reaction score
    Just stop so what planets are 12 km way this is a games with everything made of flat faces how gives a shit about physics and rules of relativity you want a 2 mile tall player make a mod to change the speed scale when mods are implantable

BTW they conformed warp drives so i think they may make the space from start to star longer happy good now shut the hell up and make room for better topics like docking ideas

???

Reaction score
    in space everything is always moving to maintain an orbit all you are doing is going faster to catch up to things ahead of you and slowing down to let the thing fly ahead of you.

in space you dont reverse toward things you slow down until it catches up to you.

and when you fly around something you are just changing your speed relative to the object you are flying around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ll post roughly the same thing here I did in the \"Realistic Scale\" thread. I\'m working on the assumption that you want a more realistically scaled universe; and that you are willing to change just labels (rather than actual metrics) to make that happen..

First, there is a hard programming limit for this game to work that keeps the maximum velocity of any object low. I\'m not sure where exactly that is, but I suspect 300 km/h or so is it. Player-ships flying at between 50 and 100 km/h seems to work fine. For the game to work on your computer, nothing can *really* move faster than that. We can change the label, but keep in mind that that label is based on the blocks your ship is made up of; anyone willing to do it can set up a simple ruler and time themselves and find out that they\'re moving only that fast.

Second, the universe is mind-boggelingly terrifyingly-humongous. Seriously. If you want to spend \"realistic\" amounts of time to travel between planets, you\'re looking at a timeline of weeks, months, and years; not minutes and seconds. Voyager was launched in what, the 70\'s? And only recently hit the edge of our star system? That\'s older than you and me, are you prepared to sit at a keyboard holding down \"w\" staring at a screen for 40 years hoping to get to pluto before you die in real life?*

The answer, of course, is that no, you are not. So we need to shrink the universe down from real-scale to programming scale (we\'ll use 50m/s as the limit for flight), and then again to game scale (since we don\'t want to spend 40 years in transit anywhere).

An example of what game scale would do; the moon is 348,000 kilometers (348,000,000 meters) away from earth. At our 50 m/s programming limit, that\'d take 80.5 days to travel. That won\'t work. So for the game, we\'ll scale everything down again; the earth should be a few minutes from the moon at the most. A 2 minute travel time gives us a distance of 6 kilometers orbit-to-orbit. Keeping that scale, it\'d take 4.3 hours to travel accross most of the solar system. That\'s maybe not unreasonable, but seems high to me; I\'d rather not have to spend that long sitting holding down a key to get somewhere in-system.

This means that FTL would be nessecary to the game for getting most places in-system, and it would only be possible to travel out of system with FTL. It also means that each system would consist of 1,938,886,985,559,067 (~2 Quadrillion) or so sectors. Good luck finding harddrive storage for all that; fortuneatly, 99.9% or so would be nothing but empty space.

Which leads to the last reason that anything like realistic scale systems are a terrible idea - that is so many sectors that, without augmentation, it\'d be impossible to find another player. Statistically, every human being that has ever lived could play Starmade and we\'d never see eachother. Every person on Earth right now would have ~276,000 sectors to themselves. With augmentation (player tracking, point-of-interest identification; basically letting players see planets and players and stuff from the other side of the system - which is actually 100% legit IRL), it\'d just mean that everyone clusters around the points of interest - planets, asteroids, and moons. Which would mean that what you really want is a system where you must use FTL to get between small, localized systems centered around large planets^, with asteroids, space junk, and moons contained within those smaller systems and travel times in the low minutes between anything within a planetary-system.

Now, I don\'t think that that would be the absolute best system; I think smaller than we have with larger planets would be more fun. Right now there\'s no cover and no way to outrun anybody, haveing a starwars-esque chase through an asteroid field where asteroids are tens of meters apart would be way more fun.

However, another good idea that ties into yours is that accelleration should be more difficult to get. You shouldn\'t ever feel the speed limit, it should take time to get up to it and slow back down. It should take specially designed ships to be highly-manuverable, or to reasonably attain the maximum velocity of the game.

As others have pointed out though; right now everything is in alpha, loot limits are insane, and there are all kinds of glitches. I suspect that, once the engine is ironed out, we\'ll get a better \"game\" experiance.

^I am all for larger planets; right now it doesn\'t feel like you\'re orbiting anything. For the above, orbital times of a few minutes (planets in the low Kilometers experianced diameter; that is, the diameter in space. Given a landing transition, the planet could well be an infinite minecraft world.) would be ideal.

*Yes, I know that where Voyager is is not where Pluto is.