Site Staff Update

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Uninstalling 32-bit Java in favour of the 64-bit version isn't necessary, both can be installed simultaneously.
    No, that only causes problems. You don't need 32 bit java if you've got 64 bit, so why would you keep both?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No, that only causes problems. You don't need 32 bit java if you've got 64 bit, so why would you keep both?
    I need 32-bit Java for my 32-bit browser, and I don't have any problems with having both Java versions installed.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Only because it is not causing any problems for you (or for me ) it doesnt mean it couldnt cause problems!
    So removing 32 and installing 64 at least to try to find the problem is a valid option!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Malacodor :
    Why can't you run 32 bit with 64 bit? You definitely can't run 64 bit with 32 bit, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to run 32 bit with 64 bit (unless it is your browser running java and not the other way round, then it makes sense).

You do realise that it is also better to not have java play in your browser due to security reasons, right? So you should really just see it as a win-win situation.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You do realise that it is also better to not have java play in your browser due to security reasons, right?
    It's even safer not to use a browser at all.

Only because it is not causing any problems for you (or for me ) it doesnt mean it couldnt cause problems!
    So removing 32 and installing 64 at least to try to find the problem is a valid option!
    Of course, I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily cause problems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    well done dal, raiben. oh and are you starting to advertise, is that the big increase in players?

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    @Malacodor :
    Why can't you run 32 bit with 64 bit? You definitely can't run 64 bit with 32 bit, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to run 32 bit with 64 bit (unless it is your browser running java and not the other way round, then it makes sense).

You do realise that it is also better to not have java play in your browser due to security reasons, right? So you should really just see it as a win-win situation.
    And what if you want to use a Java browser application? Kinda stuck then. Best to make sure you've got Java security settings enabled, that way it asks you before running a program. Not as safe as possible, but not as bad as it could be.

Anyway, 32-bit browsers have massive trouble running with 64-bit Java, it's way too much work to make them go together. It's simpler to just have 32-bit as well, and make sure your path is set up right so that 64-bit is used by default.
    Telling people to uninstall 32-bit will annoy them, and if they uninstalled it without realising the problems that causes, they'll be even more annoyed cause then they have to reinstall it. Java's just in general a massive pain, mostly :P
    I'm not in the support team, so don't take this as any kind of official statement. This is just what I've experienced, from both StarMade and other Java games.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    For reasons that can not be shared at this point in time, the site team are expecting an increase in forum traffic in the near future.
    okay, so if you cant tell us why, can you tell us when?