Single Player Survival Mode

• Thread starter Deleted member 392097
    • Start date
    D

Deleted member 392097

Like you have the Survival mode servers with no shops. Where you have to make everything and trade with each other instead of just going to a shop managed by an automated faction. I would be nice if you had a "survival" mode as well as a "Sandbox" mode for single player.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Perhaps it may be best if there isnt actual game modes but instead multiple toggle-able options, like you mentioned for the sandbox mode. These options would include hunger, thirst, oxygen, stack limits, savable blueprints, admin commands, etc. It would make the game have more levels of difficulty ect having hunger, thirst, and oxygen turned on vs only oxygen. Plus some people arnt fans of the hunger system but still want a survival type of game, this would solve that.

Reaction score
    That's what config files are for... try changing the following line in your StarMade/server.cfg:
    Code:
    SHOP_SPAWNING_PROBABILITY = 1.0E-5
    or some very small value if you want some shops. Each star system is 16x16x16=4096 sectors, so you can figure out your desired shop density. I usually go for around a shop every few systems for my single player survival, which makes them kinda hard to find, but if you really need money to build a new station, you might want to have some shops to sell stuff to... and it gives you one more reason to explore your galaxy.

D

Deleted member 392097

It is just that it would be good for there to be another mode for single player. Because what is the point of having a pull-down menu if you only have one option?

Reaction score
    It is just that it would be good for there to be another mode for single player. Because what is the point of having a pull-down menu if you only have one option?
    True, but if I'm given the choice between a pull-down menu, even one with a few entries, and a config file I can edit to my heart's content, I know what I'd choose any day. Even if you wouldn't, now you know a way to have different game modes while Schine are hard at work adding more pull down options.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Not my point, without shops you have no way to get credits, without credits you cannot refurbish or spawn new stations.
    ouch.. valid point on the needing a way to generate credits for stations to be possible :)

I'd be satisfied if there was a survival option that simply meant you would spawn on a completely random planet in the galaxy with nothing but the basic helmet and attack/defense pistols.

Reaction score
    without shops you have no way to get credits, without credits you cannot refurbish or spawn new stations.
    ouch.. valid point on the needing a way to generate credits for stations to be possible :)
    If you'd kindly reread my first post where I suggested setting the shop spawning probability to a very low value instead of zero, including a detailed explanation why...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you'd kindly reread my first post where I suggested setting the shop spawning probability to a very low value instead of zero, including a detailed explanation why...
    I'm more leaning for the "we need another way to either obtain stations or money for stations" I have a survival universe. I only craft what I need for my ships/home base and I have nothing I am willing to sell because I might be shooting myself in the foot later when I want to craft something. I really would like to see a way to remove all NPC shops and let the block economy really take shape.

Reaction score
    I'm more leaning for the "we need another way to either obtain stations or money for stations" I have a survival universe. I only craft what I need for my ships/home base and I have nothing I am willing to sell because I might be shooting myself in the foot later when I want to craft something. I really would like to see a way to remove all NPC shops and let the block economy really take shape.
    Full-heartedly agree, but for the time being, there's not much you can do besides either god-mode the money in, or live with the occasional shop... and selling tons of rock or other really abundant c^H stuff is a risk I'm willing to take, at least for now.

EDIT: With the current shop system, it really isn't that much different from just cheating the money in, since you can sell tons of stuff to max out the shop, wait for the next shop update, and buy it back with a huge discount, rinse and repeat, so yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Indeed... maybe they just need to create a slightly difficult to craft Station block that you can throw down like a core. I'm pretty sure the original idea of the 1M credit cost of the station was just to discourage people from spamming them everywhere without the intent of using them - so it makes sense that starting a station would require a little bit of effort for someone to work towards in the beginning.

Maybe an advanced factory crafting recipe involving a number of all 24 types of capsules or something?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why do we need a station block? I have seen plenty of large ships here that would make awesome stations. In fact, one of the derelicts IS a ship.

I know several of the startrek blueprints are large and detailed enough be good stations on their own. I would love the option to take an old ship, one i have gotten tired of, and set the core to "station mode", as the big ships would make great stations.

the real reason why we want a station block, is because people want to build the crafting stuff, but not have to deal with the crap of flying down to a planet. It is one of my pet peeves about this game right now, that i cant build a factory on my massive ship, despite the fact that it is better shielded, and armed than my station that is indestructible because it is a faction home. I am not sure if this is for player saftey, so that they do not loose all their stuff if the ship is attacked, or for some sort of technical reason, like the stuff stops working right if the ship flying.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Some things a survival mode should have:

1. Food and water
    2. Wide range of pirate and trading guild ships
    3. Kepticks idea on planet mining
    4. Systems would have vast, empty space between them
    5. Crewability
    6. Some systems spawn with more ores than others
    7. For single player, one shop per every three system. Multiplayer, one shop at spawn

This is really all I want from star made tbh

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Some things a survival mode should have:

1. Food and water
    2. Wide range of pirate and trading guild ships
    3. Kepticks idea on planet mining
    4. Systems would have vast, empty space between them
    5. Crewability
    6. Some systems spawn with more ores than others
    7. For single player, one shop per every three system. Multiplayer, one shop at spawn

This is really all I want from star made tbh

you can add pirate and trading guild ships in yourself. its under the admin section of the catalog.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    the real reason why we want a station block, is because people want to build the crafting stuff, but not have to deal with the crap of flying down to a planet. It is one of my pet peeves about this game right now, that i cant build a factory on my massive ship, despite the fact that it is better shielded, and armed than my station that is indestructible because it is a faction home. I am not sure if this is for player saftey, so that they do not loose all their stuff if the ship is attacked, or for some sort of technical reason, like the stuff stops working right if the ship flying.
    I've heard factories will be able to be placed on a "flag ship". I have no idea what will constitute a flagship though