Read by Council Simplify Docked Entities; Rail Docker as Pseudo-Ship Core

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Simply put, ship cores are ugly aesthetically and often a waste of valuable space on rail entities. What this suggestion entails is when you create a docked entity via advanced build mode, make it so that the Rail Docker placed functions as the reference point of that entity instead of a superfluous ship core.

I know what you're thinking, what about a way to enter and redock? Functionally speaking, not all docked entities will need to detatch and redock once they are in place, such as a landing gear. This will be the caveat of a core-less rail docker, you can only shift into them using the directional pad while controlling the parent ship. Should they become detached by accident, there's no way to enter them again to reattach if you jump out. I acknowledge that some would still want the current functionality in advanced build mode for docked entities that do need a core, so let there be a checkbox in advanced build mode to retain placing a core after a docker.

Reaction score
    I think this is a great idea for simple ship additions. There are many rail docking functions that one doesn't ever need to enter. It can be completely controlled from logic and the ship it's docked to. This would apply to large sliding doors made with rails, and many other ship additions. If it gets detached somehow, It can just be remade for most builders anyway. The functionality of it would be a worth it trade off in many situations.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I just want a core docker. Core with a rail texture on one side.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would love core less entities, and remember there is always a build block if you need to edit an entity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If there is a worry that these would make base cores redundant, their default stats so they default to no power\shields. This would encourage actual core use for things larger than doors and small moving platforms.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    My only problem with this would be core's being impossible to destroy until an object overheats. It would basically kill shooting the rail dock as a viable method of dealing with turrets. It would be necessary to keep that indestructibility as well, as Starmade uses the core to calculate everything else on the ship.

I guess you could have it so destroying this block instantly explodes the entity in question though.