Shutdown when playing after around 5 minutes

Reaction score
    Hello All,
    I come to you with a peculiar problem regarding the game.
    After playing for around 5 minutes (I get to the 3rd NPC), my PC will just shutdown.
    No crash, no warning just bwooooo to black screen.

This is peculiar to me because I have no issue running literally every other game.
    I regularly play other more intensive games like Planetside 2 and Skyrim at medium/high settings with no issue.

Here's what I have done so far:
    BIOS is up to date
    Cleaned fans
    All drivers up to date including graphic card drivers
    Running latest version of 64 bit java
    Ran virus and malware scans
    Capped FPS at 60
    Increased memory allowance to 4096, 1024, 256 respectively.
    Turned all graphical setting to minimum/OFF (except resolution which is running at 1920x1080)
    Deleted and completely re installed the game.

But the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 16 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942) 27 °C
    Graphics
    BenQ GW2250H (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (Palit Microsystems) 37 °C
    Storage
    931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 28 °C
    Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS124 D SATA CdRom Device
    Audio
    ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Hello All,
    I come to you with a peculiar problem regarding the game.
    After playing for around 5 minutes (I get to the 3rd NPC), my PC will just shutdown.
    No crash, no warning just bwooooo to black screen.

This is peculiar to me because I have no issue running literally every other game.
    I regularly play other more intensive games like Planetside 2 and Skyrim at medium/high settings with no issue.

Here's what I have done so far:
    BIOS is up to date
    Cleaned fans
    All drivers up to date including graphic card drivers
    Running latest version of 64 bit java
    Ran virus and malware scans
    Capped FPS at 60
    Increased memory allowance to 4096, 1024, 256 respectively.
    Turned all graphical setting to minimum/OFF (except resolution which is running at 1920x1080)
    Deleted and completely re installed the game.

But the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 16 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942) 27 °C
    Graphics
    BenQ GW2250H (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (Palit Microsystems) 37 °C
    Storage
    931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 28 °C
    Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS124 D SATA CdRom Device
    Audio
    ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device
    The only explanation I could come up with is that your computer was overheating. Do you have a way of monitoring it's temparature?(Mostly CPU and GPU)
    Also, did you modify your computer's hardware recently? My computer did the same after I installed a new powersupply, turned out to be a plug being a tiny bit(less than 1mm) loose in a socket on the motherboard.

Reaction score
    Thank you for the response.

I have made no changes to my hardware.

Im currently using Speccy to monitor temperatures and when I tab out to look at it when the game is running, the temperature of the CPU/GPU looks steady (around 55 degrees). However, I accept that when I am in game that is likely to rise.
    Although when the shutdown occurs I cant hear the fans struggling and I can reboot the PC immediately after which doesnt point at an overheat to me.

If it is an overheat what in the game is a causing it?
    I can run other more graphically intensive games without issue.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Thank you for the response.

I have made no changes to my hardware.

Im currently using Speccy to monitor temperatures and when I tab out to look at it when the game is running, the temperature of the CPU/GPU looks steady (around 55 degrees). However, I accept that when I am in game that is likely to rise.
    Although when the shutdown occurs I cant hear the fans struggling and I can reboot the PC immediately after which doesnt point at an overheat to me.

If it is an overheat what in the game is a causing it?
    I can run other more graphically intensive games without issue.
    Since graphics are taken care of by the GPU, changing graphics settings won't have an impact on the CPU's temparature, unless it is regarding things like visible range, in which case the CPU load can be reduced by unloading parts of the universe. Also, StarMade has a very CPU intensive physics engine, which is the major cause for an increased CPU usage and thus temparature, then other games cause, even on the highest settings. In the future it will be optimized more though, the game is still in alpha for a reason.

Reaction score
    To test this theory I put the view distance down to 100 and it seems to have fixed the problem, (although I can't actually see much).
    It appears that I have isolated the issue, thank you for the support.

I'll play around with it to get a good balance for the time being and look forward to optimizations in the future.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Get MSI afterburner or Speedfan and force your GPU fan speeds to 100%. It may help with the probable overheating problem.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Panlannan
    "...
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 16 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    ..."

I realy doubt that your 6 Core CPU is running at only 16° oO ... are you using a custom oversized cooler or something?

Reaction score
    Same thing happens to me, computer shuts down to black screen, but I can replicate it by going to a planet and waiting, once it loads to a certain point poof, shut down. I also play more intensive games than starmade so I can only assume it's a programming bug and not much we can do about it. If a work around shows up great, but otherwise the game is mostly unplayable .

Reaction score
    • Tester
    I think your assumption might be very wrong here. It might be that your processor is running at 100% load and gets to hot than.
    A lot of so called "demanding" games are more lookers and rely on the GPUs power.
    But that is normaly not a problem with the programs you are running instead it is a problem with the cooling system of your PC.
    You might want to have someone lookk into that first.

And yes Starmade is very CPU heavy when it generates planets out of thin air (so to speak ;) )

Reaction score
    So your telling me that my cpu overheats at the exact same time everytime when I load the planet even when i load from a cold boot? There is no way I can believe you can predict an exact time from which your cpu overheats, it would be a lot more random and unpredictable if that was the case. Since I have no issues with any other game and never have experienced this problem or anything remotely similiar, I will assume it is something with starmade. So far from what i have experimented with, some planets don't shut the computer down, others do and they always will, both planets had the same planet core, which was black block planet in both cases, on different servers. Neither were the first planet I visited, however they always shut the computer down when I spawn. How it shuts a computer down instantly is rather impressive piece of work....One thing is for sure, it is not overheating or even coming close to it.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Does it immediatly reboot then ? That would probably indicate some kind of driver crash and the system beeing set to autoreboot when that happens.
    are there any logs beeing produced in the logs folder at the moment of the black out ?
    what is your exact hardware configuration?

Reaction score
    No logs generated, its a instant power down, no warnings either
    my system is a

Win 7 64 bit
    Java 64 bit
    16 gb ram
    Nvidia Geforce 750 TI
    AMD Athlon II x2 215 processor 2.70 GHz

Recently reinstalled Java thinking maybe that could be it, and it didn't shut off for awhile when near planets, I don't know why it does it, and it usually happens at the end of loading the planet kinda thing. I can replicate it and I think it only happens with specific planet cores. So far it has always been the purple and black ones usually purple. I don't know if that's just coincidence or if it means something, only the developers would know if there's something unique about them that the other planet cores don't have that would cause a instant shut down to a black screen.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No logs generated, its a instant power down, no warnings either
    my system is a

Win 7 64 bit
    Java 64 bit
    16 gb ram
    Nvidia Geforce 750 TI
    AMD Athlon II x2 215 processor 2.70 GHz

Recently reinstalled Java thinking maybe that could be it, and it didn't shut off for awhile when near planets, I don't know why it does it, and it usually happens at the end of loading the planet kinda thing. I can replicate it and I think it only happens with specific planet cores. So far it has always been the purple and black ones usually purple. I don't know if that's just coincidence or if it means something, only the developers would know if there's something unique about them that the other planet cores don't have that would cause a instant shut down to a black screen.

Sir what is your PSU make and how much wattage does it have?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423156392,1423156147][/DOUBLEPOST]Both cases to me sound like the issue here is as follows IF both the CPU and GPU are flawed at 100% when genning AND rendering the planet it may push the PSU (power supply unit) over its "burst wattage" Meaning you both may have low power/bad make If you spent less then 60$ on a PSU and it was not from corsair coolermaster etc and was from an untrusted brand/small company it may not be able to keep up Also keep in mind some GPU's require 42A on the 12V rail to run at 100%

Both of you also have AMD CPU's witch run hotter and consume more power then intel CPU's witch also could push the PSU to high

If the case is not vented the PSU may overheat after 5-10 Min of use keep that in mind too.