Should I keep this in the ship Im building?

Reaction score
    I was not sure where to put this because it is a ship question but it is more for the general populous so I figure it could not hurt to get a general opinion.
    So anyway I was just playing around with some ideas and I did this, it works great the lights strobe back and forth perfect, and it was with the cylon raiders in mind not night rider, but I'm just not sure if it is too silly or overdone to keep, or even if the logic would cause trouble down the line. It was just a passing though so what do the rest think? Live or die for this feature.

starmade-gif-0000.gif

it will be here for a better idea of the overall look, but i could not make a gif of it with the whole view that I could upload (size troubles).

bridge.outside.jpg

Reactions: Lecic

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't know about issues, but it looks pretty cool to me.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It's pretty cool, but it might break over time because of lag and delays.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Keep it! That's a great piece of logic work that always looks great. Anything animated on a ship gives it life and loads of visual interest. I use a lot of intricate lighting on my ships, including similar setups to what you have. They don't break (unless damaged in combat) or get out of synch, thanks to Schema's work to have logic circuits remember their state.

D

Deleted member 433088

I think it looks great, it's an interesting idea, and you should not only use it, but use it more.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like it, but I'm of the opinion that such displays should be mostly kept to the internal of a ship. From my experience, viewing the lights at a distance can make the lights appear to get "stuck" in their last state, so that long-range viewing of the lights appears to break. Then, once you get close enough, the animation continues.

Citation: Tested large blinking navigation light arrays on my "Theatrical" ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Looks cool, but might appear to break at long ranges. Don't worry, the logic isn't broken. It just doesn't update the blocks properly at that range.

Reaction score
    It's pretty cool, but it might break over time because of lag and delays.
    Agreed, after working with this, it does appear that as long as I sit there and watch it it works fine but for what reason I do not know, if I leave the area it shuts off... possibly the area was unloaded. then it has to be turned off then back on, not a big problem the switch is on the bridge. just slightly disappointing.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421573078,1421571790][/DOUBLEPOST]
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421573158][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think it looks great, it's an interesting idea, and you should not only use it, but use it more.
    actually I am planning to use it more latter in the hangars as guide lights for the larger docking ships. Im not sure about the smaller ones though. I was originally playing with the idea for the red alert roll play part of this thread, when I got the idea.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/sma...or-classification-human-race-an-attempt.5138/

D

Deleted member 433088

Agreed, after working with this, it does appear that as long as I sit there and watch it it works fine but for what reason I do not know, if I leave the area it shuts off... possibly the area was unloaded. then it has to be turned off then back on, not a big problem the switch is on the bridge. just slightly disappointing.
    I would blame that on the sector being unloaded. I haven't yet played much with logic gates, but I did try to set a simple clock and restart my SP game, and the clock was still ticking, so perhaps that could be used to "kickstart" a system in case the sector being unloaded breaks it.

actually I am planning to use it more latter in the hangars as guide lights for the larger docking ships. Im not sure about the smaller ones though. I was originally playing with the idea for the red alert roll play part of this thread, when I got the idea.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/sma...or-classification-human-race-an-attempt.5138/
    Ah, nice idea! Also thanks for linking that thread, it seems interesting.

Reactions: Marduk_Zoekoff
    Reaction score
    , but I did try to set a simple clock and restart my SP game, and the clock was still ticking, so perhaps that could be used to "kickstart" a system in case the sector being unloaded breaks it.
    I would be very interested in seeing how that works, do you have a screen shot or example I could look at? I might very well be able to work it into the standing logic.

D

Deleted member 433088

I would be very interested in seeing how that works, do you have a screen shot or example I could look at? I might very well be able to work it into the standing logic.
    If you mean the clock, it is simply a Delay-signal and a Not-signal connected to each other at the same time, it pulses with a period of a bit over a second, non-stop. If you mean how it could help solve your problem, I'll have to think it over and experiment since my knowledge of SM logic is rudimentary and it's kinda late, my brain is mush.

Reaction score
    If you mean the clock, it is simply a Delay-signal and a Not-signal connected to each other at the same time, it pulses with a period of a bit over a second, non-stop. If you mean how it could help solve your problem, I'll have to think it over and experiment since my knowledge of SM logic is rudimentary and it's kinda late, my brain is mush.
    Ahh OK, yes I have one in the setup now, it is basically a double clock with the light path forming the long delay and the short clock ticks each time the large loop ends then starts it over. I did work as a single clock, which is what it originally was but I added the second clock to put a kick start point that can be activated from the bridge. But it still goes out when I wander too far off. I may just need to reexamine the long clock, I may have it wired wrong to let the kick start clock work right. It will take some looking at to figure out, or it may just be the lag, traveling through the ship in build mode for long distances does cause a bit of lag.