Shipyard idea and brainstorming thread

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    There has been some talk of shipyards. This is how I think it should be implemented.

Make them similar to jump gates in that the area must be contained within an area. The blueprint being loaded must fit within the dry dock area. There can’t be anything obstructing the build area. The whole setup needs 2 blocks, a ship builder computer and dry dock modules. You may also add optional crane modules that will increases building speed but an exponential energy cost.

The computer must be facing the dry dock area (screen in back, like all other computers), linked the dry dock modules and container/factory/shops for building materials. The dry dock modules are used to define an area and slightly decrease total energy costs, doesn't matter how they’re shaped as long as they define an area. At minimum you can have two poles diagonal of each other but, will be very energy inefficient. One thing to note is that dry dock modules can be shared between up to three computers; this is so that smaller dry docks can be placed within larger ones. Ships being built, face away from the computer and are considered docked until blueprint completion, it can’t be undocked till then.

Last thing to note, is that the ship builder will ‘build’ every space within the dry dock area, including empty ones. Even with upgrades it’ll take a LOOOOONNNG time to build a fighter in a titan dry dock. You want to use a dry dock large enough for the ship but not too large to waste time.

To give an idea| energy_cost = {build_computer + 2^(total_build_cranes)} - (total_dry_dock_modules X .01)%

This is a brainstorming thread, if you have your own ideas for shipyards, please post

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    never mind, found previuous posts even one from about a month ago that said the same thing
    may a dev delete this?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, you can just leave it here. Eventually it will fall to the bottom of the list.

But I just stopped by to say that I really like you weapons article in the wiki. It is very well organised and easy to read. Great job! (I'm assuming that you're the Wilvette there).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes, yes i am...
    I had a hard time trying to figure out how to get lock-on and heat-seekers missiles, as none of the wikis reflected the update. Anyway, right now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the weapon computer and blocks; expand the existing pages or merge them with the weapon systems page if so how.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd expand the existing pages to give the information needed. It also couldn't hurt to link Calbiri's graph in the wiki.
    I'm sure you're familiar with links? You can use [[http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-simple-graph-for-weapon-linking.3751/|Calbiri's graph]] , which then displays: Calbiri's graph.

Also, leave the weapons pages as they are. The different links are needed for the ID list to work properly. You can edit the separate pages of course, just don't merge any pages, because as I said, the different links are needed.

Oh, here is the ID list if you want to know why: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/ID_list