Shipyard Build Speed

Reaction score
    (Apologies if this is the wrong thread)

Me and some friends play on a private server and have found that the default build speed of 2500 blocks per second is too fast, we would like a large ship to take a couple of hours to build, not a few minutes mainly for roleplay purposes. So I have trawled the forums as well as the wiki for any information on how to control a shipyards build speed and come up with nothing.

Is there a setting in the block config xml, is it to do with the spacing between the shipyard module groups?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Reactions: Valck

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    The value you're looking for is named <ConstructionBlocksTakenPerTick> and is located in the blockBehaviorConfig.xml. That file itself is in the ./StarMade folder.

Code:
            <ShipYard>
                    <BasicValues>
                            <PowerNeededPerShipyardBlock>50</PowerNeededPerShipyardBlock> <!-- constant power consumption to keep the ship yard active per second -->
                            <ShipyardArcMaxSpacing>50</ShipyardArcMaxSpacing> <!-- max distance between shipyard arcs -->
                            <ConstructionTickInSeconds>1</ConstructionTickInSeconds> <!-- construction tick in seconds -->
                            <ConstructionBlocksTakenPerTick>2500</ConstructionBlocksTakenPerTick> <!-- blocks constructed per tick -->
                            <DeconstructionTimePerBlockInMilliseconds>0.01</DeconstructionTimePerBlockInMilliseconds> <!-- time in milliseconds added to constant time per block -->
                            <DeconstructionConstantTimeInMilliseconds>10000</DeconstructionConstantTimeInMilliseconds> <!-- constant time to deconstruct a ship-->
                    </BasicValues>
            </ShipYard>
    Keep in mind that this blockBehaviorConfig file could get overwritten on an update as the game will take a fresh copy of the one located in ./StarMade/data/config folder.

What you could do then, is to follow the steps mentioned in the ./StarMade/customBlockBehaviorConfig folder to never have the adjusted value overwritten.

Reaction score
    I absolutely agree with the notion that building ships should take a considerable amount of time to make it meaningful.

Since Lancake already answered the general part of your question, here are the values we are using to satisfying effect. Maybe it can serve as a starting point for your own experiments:
    XML:
    <BlockBehavior>

<!-- other settings -->

<ShipYard>
        <BasicValues>
          <ConstructionTickInSeconds>1.0</ConstructionTickInSeconds> <!-- default 1; construction tick in seconds -->
          <ConstructionBlocksTakenPerTick>2</ConstructionBlocksTakenPerTick> <!-- default 2500; blocks constructed per tick -->
          <DeconstructionTimePerBlockInMilliseconds>100.0</DeconstructionTimePerBlockInMilliseconds> <!-- default 0.01; time in milliseconds added to constant time per block -->
        </BasicValues>
      </ShipYard>

<!-- other settings -->

</BlockBehavior>

I can't recall whether fractional values would work for ConstructionBlocksTakenPerTick if you want to go even more extreme, maybe Lancake, could you shed some light on this?

EDIT:
    I guess I had a brainfart there... how would the engine place fractional blocks %)... just increase the ConstructionTickInSeconds if needed.

Last edited: