Ships fall appart

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If a ship is damaged in battle and some parts of it would separate from the core, wouldnt it be an idea if thouse would accurly come loose and float away in space? So if a ship has guns who are stikking out of the ship, you would be able to shoot them off.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, but then how would the game know which parts to actually animate floating away? They would need to become their own ships and they have no core to do thas. Unless they became objects like asteroids but then they would just float immobile in space.

Also, you don\'t want to end up with an object clinging to the ship if it\'s connected by just one block. It would look weird. So when would the game decide that an object has been separated and when is it attached?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d go with a broken object has the ship status for about 1 minute of not moving, then becomes stationary like asteroids. Too many movable entities=lag, but if they only stay like that until they stop moving for long enough that could help keep it simple.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I heard on a seperate forum something I call the \'structure theory\'. It was a method for making hull useful, but I think it could help with the 1-block clinging problem. Basically any object needs a hull piece within ten blocks of it or a hardened hull piece within 20 blocks of it. If it lacks the hull it breaks off into space. The distances are negotiable, but I think the 10/20 blocks rule would be the best for making it necessary while also allowing plenty of room for creativity. I would think this increase in hull ability would make people build more structural constructs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only problem with this idea is some people intentionally make floating bits on their ships. Perhaps a magnet-type block could keep those bits in place?

Reaction score
    ive noticed this with a lot of forum posts. people are like \"this game is unrealistic because of bla bla\". this game is in ALPHA! Schema is probably trying to code this in and put into his schedule. but mabye in beta, this will be implemented. this is currently in Alpha state. the de-bugging state. if any modders are out there, try to implement this and if it works email it to schema for the public to criticise. good bye

- Marshal

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There could be a better way to go about it, rather than the torn off chunks of ship being an entity all of it\'s own. When the game detects that a chunk of ship is taken entirely off, meaning, no blocks are connected directly to the main body of the ship/to the core by extension, then those blocks would be deleted, and it would create a particle effect that looks exactly like those blocks. Meaning they have no actual physics, and just float off into space, staying there for maybe 30 seconds before dissapearing This would cut down on the amount of targeters on screen, as well as the system\'s ability to run properly with a bunch of things on screen, and personally it seems a lot nicer looking than blocks floating in space, sticking to your ship without any actual connections.