Ship Size vs. Turning Speed

Reaction score
    My simple suggestion is to make blocks that are smaller thrusters maybe. Any that are placed to the left side of your ship somewhere (in reference to the core placement and orientation) will help turn your ship to the left faster. Same with right side for turning right.

Without those, I can understand the ship turning slow if it's a big one but allow us the ability to upgrade our ship in a way to fix that by adding thrusters.

Reaction score
    Yeah this is good prevents super OP ships that have like 100 length AMC to kill fighters so fast

this will make them need to add turrets instead of just a single OP cannon

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree. I think having moment calculations based on thruster power and distance to ship center of gravity would be an excellent addition. Especially in the case of functional design, I could imagine unconventional designs that allowed for certain axial rotations to occur more quickly than others. However, I would imagine this requires recoding of the current thruster mechanics, as the stats displayed in-game tend to resolve thrust into a single value based on number of active thruster blocks and not their orientation, distance from ship COG, or individual thrust vectors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea of adding maneuvering thrusters to help with turning radius, etc. On the other hand, there needs to be a limit of how much the turning radius can be enhanced versus the size of the ship. The last thing we need is some bigass battleship spinning around like a frigate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it\'s a cool idea too, but there definitely would need to be a limit.

Reaction score
    Sounds like a good idea, but maybe that is just because I always have giant ass battleships lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the general idea, but I\'m not very thrilled about losing ship manouverability when the thrusters get blasted.

Overall I\'d support this

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh, but surely this would be one of the great things about this feature, small fighters able to hone in on the manoeuvring thrusters to then disable a larger ships ability to spin around quickly and annihilate an entire fleet...

Reaction score
    Definitely should be a limit on how much they can bump of the turning speed and I would imagine it should max at like maybe 60 - 70 % turning speed of the fastest available in game. Additionally, I think adding thrusters to your ship should require fuel tanks (different subject altogether but fuel tanks should also definitely be implemented to power propulsions in any way - along with fueling stations). Balancing the game would require a few of these things in place.

Need numerous developers I would imagine to help get this stuff out the door in a timely manner.

Reaction score
    This needs to be added. I\'ll be going out of my way to keep this and the few duplicate topics bumped in the forum.

I love building big ships but I want them to actually work and the game\'s stopping me from doing that. It\'s the worst thing about the game right now in my opinion.

Reaction score
    I don\'t think there should be a hard limit, but turning too fast could rip blocks of the ends of your ship.

Reaction score
    Your response makes no sense.

Turrets are great but they don\'t help the fact that I can traverse a sector faster than I can turn my ship to face the way I\'m travelling.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Definitely need this. I love building carriers for other job-specific ships and using the carrier to traverse the universe, but with its size it\'s turning is horrible. It\'s practical, and with small fighters able to shoot them it helps not make them too OP

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a crucial part of ship design, and I fully support this concept. Space brakes should be engineered equipment, and not a keyboard shortcut, IMHO.

Signed.

Reaction score
    I think large ships should recieve massive penalties to movement in all areas, except top speed. Nothing above a power supply module+thrusters slapped on a cube should be able to accelerate as fast as ships do without massive, massive thrust to mass ratios. Capships should take full minutes to reach top speed+brake, and turning all the way around should take much, much longer than it does now (and should be based primairly on the longest dimension from center, so perfect spheres will rotate faster than ecliptoid, elongated warships).

Also, instead of manuvuring thrusters, you should simply have to rotate the current thrusters in different directions. But again, I think the curve for big ships should increased significantly, and thrusters should way, way nerfed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    A simpler method than calculating engine position compared to the core and facing, or adding another block type may be to simply change from using total mass to mass/thrust in the turn speed calculation. Obviously some tweaking in the code would need to be done to use this smaller number but that should be simple. Thrusters have diminishing returns as far as I can tell so while using mass/thrust super massive ships shouldn\'t ever be able to be as maneuverable as much smaller ships.

With this system you could add more engines, upping your thrust, to increase turn rate. Or you could choose to be more powerful in other ways.

A more complicated calculation should be used so \"fighters/bombers\" turn faster even with an equivalent mass/thrust ratio to a \"titan\". For example my current fighter is 147.5 mass (not counting turrets, I\'m not sure if they add to the total mass) and it has 204 thrust so that ratio is .723. With the current system it takes ~25 seconds for this ship to do a 360. I\'d like that to be around 10 seconds I think (I\'d need to play with it, but with this system a ship could be easily customized to turn at a rate you like, within reason). However if a ship had 72303 mass and 10,000 thrust it would also have a .723 mass/thrust ratio; but it shouldn\'t be able to turn as fast as the fighter, so some sort of consideration must be taken to prevent titans from turning like fighters.

Maybe a tier system: 0-300 mass = fighter, 301-600 = bomber and so on, each with it\'s own configurable speed multiplier. These are totally off the top of my head so feel free to suggest different tiers, or make them configurable (I love messing with config files). So a \"fighter\" could have a tier rating of 1 giving a calculation of (147.5/204)*1 so a .723 ratio. Whereas the \"titan\" could have a tier rating of .5 giving a calculation of (72303/10000)*.5 equaling a .3615 ratio. Then maybe make the ratio be 36 degrees per second * the ratio, giving my \"fighter\" a turn rate of 26.028 degrees per second. That would make it take ~14 seconds to turn 360 degrees. The \"titan\" would therefore turn at 13 degrees per second or one rotation per 28 seconds (that seems fast, maybe make the tier smaller?). Again, these are off the top of my head number that seem to work so if you have better ideas I\'m open to suggestions.

Edit: I\'m a derp, this only works if thrust>mass, would someone fix my math, while I go study for my trig test because I obviously need to >.>

tldr: mass/thrust is hilarious

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m happy with the current acceleration/deceleration physics. Big ships accelerate slowly, while small ships can hit top speed in a second, which seems right.

Edit: I just saw an idea that I really liked. Make all ships unable to naturally hit the server speed limit, instead have a block that adds to the maximum possible speed of the ship, up to the speed limit, and with diminishing returns for larger ships so making a huge ship able to hit the limit would take away from a decent amount of shields/power/dakka.