Ship Size vs. Turning Speed

Reaction score
    your dumb,

im being serious

this here:

mothership, 5k blocks of amc in a small gun

turning with these boosters

super fast turning mothership, worst idea ever, change the stupid title, this is ship turning vs ship size -.- this is ship turning +1

50 mass lower should turn really fast, 50 mass to 500 mass should turn fast 500-1500 medium 1500-5000 slow 5000+ super slow

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the \"longest dimension from center\" restriction, like, a lot, but it should probably be scaled based on how you\'re rotating. For instance:

I create a narrow, long ship, 1x4x8 on the X, Y, and Z axes.

I yaw it perfectly left, which rotates around the ship\'s Y axis. The game does three quick dot products between its grid axes and the rotation axis, and comes up with 0, 1 (or maybe -1, can\'t recall), and 0.

Subtracting the absolute value of these results from 1 gives you a \"weight\" for each axis, which is multiplied by the ship\'s size on that axis. Our example ship gets 1, 0, and 8.

The penalty to turning speed is the sum of these final numbers, which means that the more parallel a grid axis is to the rotation axis, the less its length affects rotation. The result is that long, narrow ships are less able to turn left, right, up, or down, but can roll in place easily. A flat, disc-shaped ship can turn left and right, but has a harder time pitching or rolling. And a sphere or cube nicely balances all three (at the cost of aesthetics, most likely :P ).

This behavior closely resembles real life, and supports the design patterns people already use. It also scales properly to balance against all sizes, and you can\'t exploit the system by building a certain inherently superior shape.

God I\'ve got too many freakin\' ideas for this game. Need to start modding.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You guys are complicating this too much.

Just focus turning speed on total ship MASS. No need for calculating its length or width, just mass.

And schema can then put in a basic function as others he has used, to scale the speed reduction based on the mass and some fancy formula.

Giant mass ship will then turn real slow. Small mass ship will turn real fast. Thats it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    +1 This will make it a whole more tactical than it is now.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    We definately need something to improve the turning speed of larger ships, especially with the new update. They don\'t have to turn on a dime, but they also shouldn\'t have to take several minutes just to turn. Manuvering becomes impossible in that case.

mou

Reaction score
    I dont want to see a mothership flying like a fighter

Reaction score
    since when did anyone say they wanted mother ships to turn like fighters? that is not at all what this is about. we just don\'t want it to take 10 minutes to do a 180. this isn\'t about turning in combat, but about navigating.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Deal with it, big ships should turn slower... I just think this new turning system needs more work as I have shown making a 300m long stick turns quick, then adding about 40m of width (another stick, so the ship is a big cross) suddenly it turns significantly slower. Mass is tiny.

It needs work rather than a change

My 200m almost 20000 mass carrier turned slower than before, and I think its OK. Worked well in that situation, but I am concerned about scenarios liek the one I mention above where the new formula performs poorly and unrealistically

Reaction score
    Turning is the generalized term describing three different types of movement. Pitch, Yaw, Roll. Furthermore, among any type of movement, there is both acceleration and speed to account for (and probably much more!). Rotational kinematics are by no means a simple problem to tackle.

Though resistance is minimal in space, resistance as a physical factor still is necessary to give the \"feel\" of spacebattles we know and love from SciFi.

There is no upper limit known in space for top speed. Speed can be considered a function, not of mass but of resistance (surface area) vs thrust. Acceleration is a function of mass vs thrust. Both stats: speed and acceleration, must be applied to all three rotational movements for a realistic feel. Alexander Prime has some examples above.

Any rotational physics will have a natural opportunity-cost relationship with linear physics. A sphere or cube may rotate quite well, but will fail (given equal mass and thrust) at approaching the top linear speed of a pencil-thin rocket-style ship. However, off a starting line, with equal mass and thrust they should be neck and neck until the sphere/cube hits its earlier top speed and the rocket continues acceleration, pulling away.

A player directly controls acceleration and deceleration, but not speed. Control comes as the player touches \"accelerators\" for various directions.

There are 6 accelerators, each with 6 related decelerators to account for:

Forward-reverse currently accounts for the primary thruster direction, the z-value. (w-s on keyboard)

Height accounts for another. (q-e on keys)

Left-Right Strafe another. (a-d on keys)

These summarize the linear physics.

Roll is the first rotational force. (z-x on keys or L-ctrl+mouse)

Pitch is controlled by the y-axis of the mouse.

Yaw is controlled by the x-axis of the mouse.

These summarize the rotational physics.

There are 6 faces on a cube. Six directions to orient any block, such as a thruster or a rotational thruster.

The rotational thruster should be an independent block from the original thruster in order to function.

This addition would make the most sense for creative ship design if thrusters themselves became directional. For example, if some thrusters would be required to be oriented \"backward\" for braking and the ship be hindered from linear movements without thrusters (traditional, linear thrusters) placed in those directions.

The term for the relationship of rotational force with distance from the center of an object is called torque. Maneuvering thrusters would generate more torque the greater their distance from the ship center.

I like the idea of maneuvering thrusters, while the implementation seems possible it could also be potentially awkward. Developers will have to consider risk/reward vs other projects, as always. That said, in spite of the complexity, something like this has my vote, because I can, as always, trust balance in the hands of a game designer, who watches more closely than I this very thing.

P.S. What I really want to see is someone forget to put brakes on a massive battleship and never be able to stop it for all eternity as it plummets far away into the heavens. Haha, sucker. Your final frontier is being pushed by an unmanned juggernaut of random collision. I\'m sure the first intelligent civilization it encounters will be a bit puzzled...

Also, a ship with a design flaw or battle damage might not, in the words of the immortal zoolander, be an \"ambi-turner.\" (I got so shot-up that now I only turn left, help!) In Sci-Fi lots of ships wind up \"dead in the water.\" Otherwise fully functional but unable to effectively maneuver. I\'d like to see a few ships that can spin like a one-winged housefly but can\'t actually get anywhere without a bit of repair work.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    that\'s where you go completely off the mark of physics. rotational dynamics depends on dimensions, mass, center of gravity, and gross force applied. the farther that mass is located from the center of mass, the higher the moment of rotational inertia/resistance to rotation will be. the farther the force applied to the object is from the center of mass, the greater torque it has to influence the rotational momentum.

taking the core as the center of mass, the thruster groups output face as the distance from CM, and using integration to find the rotational inertia, the ships will turn realistically.

it\'s not realistic to have a ship with 50k thrust vs 10k mass turn at the same speed as a ship with 10k thrust and 10k mass. it should turn faster. this is because the 50k thrust is supposed to be a much larger force acting on the axis the ship is trying to turn on than a 10k thrust.

if you made a 10k mass ship that was composed almost exclusively from thrusters, power blocks, and your core, why should it turn at the same rate as a ship with a much inferior thrust-mass ratio?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    just make it so thrust is factored into turn rates as well as mass and dimension. mass will be assumed equally distributed along the box of maximum dimensions, and thrust will be at radius \'r\' of where the output block of the thruster is in relation to the core. thrust is the force applied at this radius for turning producing torque and acceleration. that would be much more realistic than the current system and the previous system before it.