ship scanners and secondary core

Reaction score
    Hey guys,

while playing i thought about some things that should be changed in the future to make scanners necessary and stop this -there!shoot at the core!- things..
    At he moment we all see the ships core we are locking on to immediately an we all start shooting there... and nowhere else because we dont have to. and thats a problem. We shouldnt be able to see the ships core right away (exept its a small ship). We should need to scan the targetship first with a shipscanner or something like that to see the core but using this scanner takes a noticable amout of energy (depenting on how much blocks the scannerray has to travel to the enemy core) and should take some time also depenting on the passing blocks. So before youve scanned a ship it should be showed on the navigation menu as usually but on direct sight there should be some "brackets" arround the ship (something like in "freelancer"). Only when you scanned the ship for its core you will have the same lockon squares als we have now.

now to my second suggestion: secondary cores

The secondary core is the same as the maincore but its EXTREMELY expensive and you can only have one in your ship (additionally to your main core). When the main core is destroyed you will have no control for some seconds and then the shipsystem "switches" to your secondary core(similar to a power cut and reacting emergency systems). This core(secondary) will be much more vulnerable(cause its spotable rightaway when its active and only when its active) and is meant to use it for a try to fly your damaged ship away or ,if you want, to carry on the fight till you blow up ;D.

So guys what do you think? Additions are wanted ;)

PS: Sorry for my english. Im still learning it ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly, having to scan an enemy ship before attacking seems an extra step that is not really needed.

The navigation point of a ship seems to always be centered around the core. So I always aim at the middle of that. Even if it was somewhere else, I don\'t need to know where the core is. Often, the first thing I spot, I shoot. Weapons controllers, sheild generators. I have a preference for the core. Though if I don\'t see it I shoot though everything until I do.

So I agree with you there. It is a little too easy to disable a ship currently. I don\'t think two cores is the answer though.
    If cockpits enable you to fly a ship even after the core has started overloading. It means the player could escape battle and go repair. It also means that taking out the core would not stop the ship but only mean it will explode if not repaired. Cockpits would mean you/they could continue fighting. Players would be more likely to go for the subsystems to disable a ship. Then overload the core. Maybe?

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I think instead of scanning, the ship indicator should be in the exact center of the ship. I\'d rather have to actually use my brain to find a core and destroy the ship than just looking at the diamond and opening up.

As to a secondary core, I don\'t think its very neccessary and I think people would abuse it to their advantage in battle.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

-Chairman of the Collective, dated 8/17/13

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    lies in the last paragraph of your reply. I have a feeling -no, it\'s a fact- that people will spam cockpits to survive much longer than they should. If I finally reach the core of a huge titan that\'s besieging my station, overheat the core only to find this giant has a crapton more cockpits and continues fighting, I think I\'d stop playing.

The core is the core. Kill it and the ship dies. The end.

Again, this is only my opinion.

Regards,

-Chairman of the Collective, dated 8/17/13

Reaction score
    Lets think about this in a long term deal...

Eventually hulls will be much tougher. Meaning that a decent ship will have multiple layers of armor around the core. Making it improbable to attack the core directly.

With a scanner we could know where the sdcockpits are (once eliminated their blind) and where their generators are, their shields, their weapons computers, batteries, everything...

With the knowledge of how what their shield capabilities are and their power regen you would have an extremely strong advantage.

With this being said many ideas of invading ships and haveing a first person shooter style combat has been thrown around. With that aspect of fighting then the space fights will be on multiple fronts.

The fact that we already know the position of the core directly cuts out an important stage of the fight learning and finding you opponents weaknesses.

Reaction score
    The scanner system just punishes smaller ships and makes searching for pirates that bit more tedious.

And as for the secondary core- read Zyrr\'s first post, \"The core is the core. Kill it and the ship dies. The end.\"

Usually if an enemy manages to kill your first core it means they managed to pierce through your shields and a substantual amount of your ship to reach it, so a secondary core would be easy to kill.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am not saying they replace the core. Think about it. Cockpits control the ship even if the core is overloaded. The countdown begins. They either run or stay. Doesn’t matter how many cockpits they have. If they can\'t repair their core before it explodes they are done anyway. The only thing cockpits allow them to do is carry on flying and shooting as long as they have the systems to do so. If your station is being besieged by a large ship with lots of cockpits it’s not really much different to a ship with lots of AI turrets or one large ship docked to another.

In my opinion it’s just far too easy to tunnel a way to the core and in one hit, overload it.

You can get a core to overload in 60 seconds if you damage it enough.
    If a ship can get overloaded, continue fighting and take out your space station only to repair its core all in 60 seconds. I would say well done.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have made a few ships with multiple cores to distract enemies. I can\'t exactly say it gives you any \'second wind\' effect, but if you just put a docking module in your ship and attach a ship core to it the enemy doesn\'t immediately know where your main core is. Even if they guess right, you can press the up arrow key and use your extra core to escape if you make a path to it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For an AI (or more importantly, another player) to know exactly where the most important part of your ship is, so they can target it to attempt destruction, is in my mind a problem - having that information should involves spies stealing the plans or some such, at least on large ships - but at the same time you need to have some way of targeting a ship for the current turret system to work correctly...